Setting up Hunter's tool

I am following these steps:
https://github.com/hunterlester/safe_browser/blob/dev-mode/README.md

I have downloaded Node.js 6.5.0, Rust, and git, but when I try to install dependencies, I fail at $ npm i
it says undefined postinstall

Anyone could help ?
I am on windows 10 which @hunterlester said is working

4 Likes

The first error I see is that there is no Python executable.

Download it here: Download Python | Python.org

Choose the 2.7.13 version, not 3.6.1

I think node-gyp is dependent on Python and it doesn’t play well with Python 3.

6 Likes

Thanks for your help !
downloaded python 2.7.13, restarted my machine, and then npm i

got this
What is weird is I had Visual build tool 2015 installed

3 Likes

Oh I see. I’m really glad that you started this thread because I forgot about all the software that I’ve installed on my system.

You need Microsoft Visual Studio.

I think that you don’t need to install the full package with the IDE. You may be able to just download the native build libraries here: Download Visual Studio Tools - Install Free for Windows, Mac, Linux

Scroll to bottom of screen and choose Build Tools for Visual Studio 2017.

3 Likes

Oh wait, sorry I missed what you wrote. You already have Visual studio installed.

Will you paste that error text here so that I can take a closer look at it?

UPDATE:

Ah I see now. You have Visual Studio installed but you don’t have the C++ build tools.

http://landinghub.visualstudio.com/visual-cpp-build-tools

3 Likes

so I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 and Microsoft Visual C++ build Tools installed, and have uninstalled all previous versions.
have set up MSVS version using the command:
setx GYP_MSVS_VERSION 2017
I still can’t build.
talking with hunter in pm.
Will let everybody know the fix as soon as we figure it out.

2 Likes

Getting this set up on Windows is like pulling teeth if my experience is anything to go by. There is a thread on the safedev
forum Can anyone build Mock-Routing on Win? - #40 by mav - Support - Safe Dev Forum which is worth a look.

2 Likes

Thanks for that little insight - that will save me some messing about - I WAS trying to do as much as poss with Python3 but I’ll go back to the old one for this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.