Setting up a public AP for a SAFE meshnet

Okay so I’ve been thinking when the SAFE network comes out and gets all set up I’d like to set up a mesh network of routers that a) Farm safecoin for me. And b) Act as public wifi hotspots and access to the SAFE network. However since you can’t access the SAFE network from a normal browser without the plugin how would random people access it via the wifi hotspots?

Like picture someones walking along and picks up one my routers or whatever on the phone or laptop. They try connecting… yay they’re connected! But can they access the internet through the SAFE network? And how could I alert them they’d need the plugin? Also I’m thinking that if they want to use the network they should pay a bit of safecoin (which can be easily farmed). So again how do I notify them of all this?

3 Likes

Well, you can’t access the current server-based Internet through SAFE. Are you thinking about restricting it to only SAFE network access?

Hotspots frequently use portals (like when you connect to a network where you have to accept ToS) to introduce necessary information for new users. You could link to the plugin or payment requirement from that.

2 Likes

Well that would certainly simplify things. Though it might reduce demand somewhat.

Yeah I’ve seen those though I have no idea how to set those up. And I’ve discovered they often have issues with cross platform compatibility issues. Also wouldn’t they require the regular internet in order to work?

“Farm’s SAFE coin for you-” exactly a network that uses its coin to power its physical expansion. That is the needed rocket fuel. And it should prioritize bit quality in the level of coin earned in terms of security, latency and bandwidth etc. A great public good.

CJDNS has a autopeering feature. Anybody can join the network, and it still will be encrypted. However the biggest flaw here is that you will be random connected to some peer. Some peers will most likely push high bandwidth that cause to bog your speeds. Plus that random peer will know your data chucks, and where it is being transfered to. The node operator will have to switch back to static peering due to pressures of sibyl attacks. Users will not like the idea of connecting to random peers, and not have complete control of data transfers. But nodes could still advertise the bandwidth speed ratio based on micro payment. One could scan the qr code, accept the ToS, make payment, then connect to the node.

Well, you can’t access the current server-based Internet through SAFE.
Are you thinking about restricting it to only SAFE network access?

Other known as exit nodes. Those are bad security holes, and should not exist.

1 Like

Right, the portal and plugin would need to be hosted locally or on the old Internet if it is meant to be downloaded to a user’s device.

You also might reduce demand by charging safecoin for access (also kind of a moral hazard too, eh?)… so why not just set up each mesh node as a SAFE node and sustain costs that way?

4 Likes

Not necessarily. If you want to connect to the current internet, you need dollars. To do that, you need to work for dollars. Once you accumulate dollars, you pay to corporate ISP to get an IP address, wait few days for router to show up, and hook up to the internet. Once that is done, you pay it monthly for data.

This is no different than meshnet demanding safecoin. In this sense, users would dispose dollars for safecoin through bitcoin/safecoin atm machine. Or use safenet on their computer, accumulate safecoin on the current internet, then invest into meshnet router.

1 Like

I am trying to explore this question also and wanting to isolate the internet. I was thinking to mesh two routers, one for my own internet and the other meshed only to the safe network.
People would only get access to the mesh public router.

I was thinking if they used firefox they would be directed to an offline setup page where a download set-up page is announced. to connect to the mesh.it be a free download as they would just connecting to a shared files.

I wanted to set-up a 3 minute trial for users before getting disconnected by the router and having to reconnect.

I was also thinking about having a hotspot safe page where you could purchase vouchers for more time option, then with voucher code they could have extra time.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they would need more than the plugin. They’d also need to minimally load the SAFE Client as well. The plugin without being logged on via your own Client, wouldn’t get you anywhere as the “safe:” referent in the browser couldn’t reach the network.

I’m pretty sure you could do all this out of the box with: http://www.open-mesh.com/

See ‘walled garden’ bit here
https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/202465700-Part-3-Configuring-your-Network-and-SSIDs

Despite the name it’s no longer Open Source, not sure if that matters to you.

Thanks

Sam

1 Like

hmhmmm - maybe a sophisticated programmer could program a “wifi-router” that not only routes but emulates a DNS (only for the SafeNetwork) + delivers the content as if it came from servers

a raspy with 2 wifi-cards could do the job i assume … but of course would be a relatively expensive router plus you’d need someone to program the network-stuff

They went closed but kept the name which seems quite dishonest. Why go from open to closed except to install a back door? Open was never quite free(dom) software but groups like Open Bazaar just seem dishonest.

1 Like

Not sure if this is accurate. You don’t need the client now to use the plugin, so why would you in the future? Logging into the network is only necessary if you want to access your personal data or upload new data. Public data should be able to be seen without needing a full client.

1 Like

I well could be wrong on this, for sure. But I’m pretty sure that something more than just a plugin will certainly be needed to interface the network. In the current example, the Vault structure is installed, allowing connection to that network, so it’s not just the plugin. I’m not sure the exact configuration planned for after other key components are put in play but I don’t think a browser plugin without Vault or Client will have any way to interface the network.

I’ll be very happy to find if I’m wrong on this.

Maybe @dirvine or @BenMS can give some insight.

Be happy :slight_smile: At the moment to browse all you would need is the plugin. The launcher will advance some of this as well. Viv is looking at the plugin also becoming more powerful (via the launcher) so we will see a lot of advances there.

For now though to browse SAFE the plugin will do the trick on it’s own, even as is.

Great happiness and apologies to all for my ignorance. :hamburger:

1 Like

True but don’t you need to upload in order to post anything? Most people when they want to surf the net don’t want to just browse the net, they want to check and post on their social network, check their email, read and interact on a forum or two, whatever. All that takes two way communication. Even doing a search requires some upload of data in order to input search terms unless the search engine is entirely client side and only pulling data from the network.

I could pretty much be pursuaded not to charge for the service, that is have it all free so long as I made more than I spent via farming. However the issue to pull of this operation I’d need a consistent stream of revenue and farming revenue can go up and down. I mean I’d have to pay rent for wherever I was setting up each node, power if I couldn’t power them via solar, and then I’d have to cover the costs of buying them and maintaining them. And if the network expanded beyond what I could maintain myself it would involve employing others to help.

Remember, vaults are the network - you’re just restricted right now to running a local network because of NAT. As soon as utp is finished, you’ll be able to connect the plugin to the global network without needing to run local vaults.

2 Likes

Yes, to post to the network you need a client but for browsing you do not. And until compute is added to the network, all non-network specific computing will need to be done client side.

2 Likes

Thanks for straightening me out, Paige. Between your point and David’s above, I’m all fixed . . . at least, till my next gaff. :sunglasses: