Sending MAID from a Trezor hardware wallet

Yes it does start with a 1…

2 Likes

The private key is the key shown in the right most column of the row that your address is in. You might need to scroll over to the very right to see it

Never mind you seem to have found it. Just ignore this post

Then I’m afraid OmniWallet will not be able to import a private key for a SegWit address (not 100% sure though). It probably assumes it’s a simple legacy private key.

Omni Core appears to support SegWit, but I’m not sure how you should proceed using Omni Core.

ask @mav He knows this stuff better.

omniwallet.org claims to support it too. But others have not had luck with addresses that start with “3”. @Dom303 address starts with “1” though

So what should I do next? :O(

I am quite familiar with bip39 but unfamiliar with omniwallet. Anyhow here’s my thoughts and explorations:

In omniwallet, click ‘My Addresses’ then ‘Add Address’ and then ‘Import Address with Private Key’

Paste the private key from the iancoleman bip39 tool (from the same row with your address, might need to scroll to the right in the table to see the private key column) into the omniwallet import dialog. Omniwallet should now show your address in the wallet with the balance.

it doesn’t seem to let you add the Private Key after you’ve added it as a Watch Only address?

It should allow it. In the ‘My Addresses’ tab of omniwallet I added a watch-only address which shows a qr-code icon next to the address. Then I imported the private key for that address and it added a padlock icon next to the qr-code icon to indicate the private key is now available.

Now the funds should be available in omniwallet the next thing to do is click the ‘Send’ tab in omniwallet and send the funds somewhere safe.

2 Likes

@mav , @Dom303 said

So it seems that the private key gave a different address?

These two statements are conflicting. m/49' indicates segwit which should start with a 3 not a 1. It doesn’t help that we are talking about three addresses - the trezor address, the bip39tool address, and omniwallet address after importing the privkey. We need to be explicit about where the address / derivation path we’re talking about comes from.

If the trezor address starts with a 1 then you just need to find the right private key from the bip39 tool and import it into omniwallet.

If the trezor address starts with a 3 then omniwallet can’t be used since it doesn’t seem to know how to import segwit addresses (the same private key can be used for segwit addresses or for ‘normal’ addresses and omniwallet only imports the normal one). I guess omnicore may be used but I have no idea about that.

What does the original trezor address with your funds start with, a 1 or a 3?

As far as I understand it, the statements do not conflict. He answered to my question about the created address — in OmniWallet.

OmniWallet just turns a hex private key into a P2PKH. However, the private key should be turned into a SegWit address.

I’m now trying to get Omni Core up and running again. Bitcoin Core 0.13 (which Omni Core is based on) should have some support for SegWit. However, I’m not sure whether Omni Core will support it for their Omni protocol.

Except he says the Trezor address starts with a “1” and this is not a segWit address because they start with a “3” And thus the confusion

I’m not sure where he stated the Trezor address starts with a one. Only that the OmniWallet address that was imported starts with a “1”.

His Trezor uses BIP49, so it must be a SegWit address — with a “3”:

Anyhow, I think OmniWallet just does not import the private key as BIP49, so you end up with a legacy address in OmniWallet.

Sorry you are right. My bad reading skills exposed. Crawls back into my corner

I’ve not a Trezor but if you can get BIP39… then look to the 1st part of Exporting Private Key from Blockchain.info and Importing to Omniwallet.org · OmniLayer/omniwallet Wiki · GitHub

from step 6 then

Once you have your recovery phrase you will need access to the Bip39 generator

looks straightforward.

From a quick search perhaps that tool can give the private key

The 24 words are basically your master private key. There are programs, e.g. https://iancoleman.github.io/bip39/, that can compute the private key for each bitcoin(cash)/litecoin/dash/zcash/ethereum address that your Trezor uses.

can Maidsafe coins be stored as ETH token ? or is that something the team should provide us with , first ?

1 Like

It was a cheap shot at the expense of the OP, to promote the idea MAID should be moved to ERC20.

But no MAID is as it has always been a OMNI token.

2 Likes

Hi guys. To clarify, the Trezor address starts with a 3. I have added it into OW as a Watch Only address and it shows my BTC and MAID balance fine, and is represented correctly starting with a 3 etc. Mav, I did actually already go through the process you suggested above, the “Import Address with Private Key” in the Add Addresses section, but it created a new address instead of adding the key to the correct address. And the new address starts with a 1 :O( It seems stupid that Omni Wallet can easily create the correct address (starting with a 3) as a Watch Only address and see the account balance of MAID and BTC, but not import that same address and allow me to send the MAID as well, even if I provide the Private Key?

4 Likes

Agreed. Omniwallet should have two import options for private keys - one option to import the private key as a ‘normal’ p2pkh address starting with 1 and another option to import the private key as a ‘segwit’ p2wpkh-in-p2sh starting with 3.

The same private key is used for both addresses so omniwallet must decide which address to use and it chooses the ‘normal’ type. Omniwallet doesn’t offer the option for it to be the segwit type. Understandable but very frustrating.

Glad you could find your private key but a shame it can’t be used in omniwallet.

3 Likes

One thing you can try is the same thing this guy did, but they have a problem of using multisig whereas yours is a problem of using segwit:

https://github.com/OmniLayer/omniwallet/issues/1586

Basically the answer is to contact omniwallet support.

A second thing to note is the place to patch this problem is here:

decodeAddressFromPrivateKey
https://github.com/OmniLayer/omniwallet/blob/391a4aebf8d1b2971933b7a3757d07eb691c3c26/www/js/services/ModalManagerService.js#L6-L13

this method needs to be modified to import the p2wpkh address instead of the p2pkh address.

I tried to do it ‘live’ in the developer tools of my browser but that’s not really a good way to solve your problem! Better to fork the code and patch; that would solve the problem.

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue with my ledger. Totally my mistake but would love to see if you resolve this issue.

1 Like

I am not certain this works but I am currently having the same issue. I discovered this article and seems to match what you are looking for.

1 Like