Self-Auth, Rest-API, Vaults etc now Functional against actual network!

I doubt it very much, there is still way too much ‘insider’ knowledge there yet, although we are trying to be as open as possible and get that transferred.

3 Likes

Just finished setting up the on my machine(windows 8.1) Everything ran smoothly tho i had to update to rust nightly 1.3. Would be nice to get a heads up from dev whenever they move on to the next version of rust.
Hope the next thing that you will join to this is self-encryption repo to be able to attach files. Or if its already integrated have an example to play around with combining the 3 repos. Bigups to the progress :ok_hand:

@dirvine which repo are the main dev team expecting to be opening first to the dev community come 6th July for contributions on the tasks.

1 Like

Still to be decided yet

Just liking this doesn’t seem sufficient - very well done guys! It looks like it is all starting to come together!

10 Likes

Soooo good to read about things going forward! Congratulations everybody! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey experts,

couldn’t refuse to try it myself on a 32-bit XUbuntu 14.04.

1. maidsafe_vault builds perfectly and tests all were successfull

2. When I try to build maidsafe_client with cargo build it tries to compile rust-crypto but fails with the following message

.cargo/registry/src/github.com-121aea75f9ef2ce2/rust-crypto-0.2.31/src/aesni_helpers.c:12:5: error: unknown register name ‘xmm1’ in ‘asm’
    asm(
    ^

I guess ‘xmm1’ is not an available register name on a TARGET = Some(“i686-unknown-linux-gnu”)?
Does anybody successfully compiled maidsafe_client on a 32-bit Xubuntu?
Any hints?

I know this is a bit off-topic but any help would be highly appreciated.

@maidsafe: I am really looking forward to see the SAFE network live!

Best,
Martin

Yes rust-crypto had some issues in a few areas so it’s being factored out of our code base at the moment. It would help us if you posted an issue to their repository as they may not be aware of this one.

Thank you for your fast reply. I will let them know!

1 Like

Hey mwaa,
I’m also running windows 8.1 64 bit.
Was it hard to set up the network?
What steps did you follow? If you don’t mind could you point them to me?

Thanks

+1
Im also about to try on Win 7 and 8 machines and any pointers would be very helpful

2 Likes

@sfcoin It wasn’t hard to setup the network just followed the instructions on the first post and was good to go.
-Download and install the latest rust-nightly setup make sure its version 1.3 otherwise you will get errors when you run it. Please note If you had installed other versions uninstall them first then run this setup. Run installer a second time and choose the option of changing , then select the option of include to path.
-Open your preffered command prompt i use Cmder and type rustc --version to confirm version is rust nightly 1.3
-Once setup you can open 4 command prompt windows to test using the rest-api example for the maidsafe_client. Works like a charm and you can observe what the happens on each node on the different windows running the vault.

3 Likes

Creating a VM with vagrant/virtualbox for a clean playground sounds like a plan. In fact a fresh docker container would be pretty awesome too.

If only I had more free time!

2 Likes

Your help is appreciated but I thought better and I will install Ubuntu in VMware just like Traktion proposes :slight_smile:

You could even go wild and setup a bunch of VMs for a more realistic test environment, assuming all that works already!

True using VMware would give you a better test environment if your able to open a couple of them. I maintain 3 installations on my machine but have never been much of an Ubuntu fan so i use them only when i need to.

These examples work on my local machine, but when I created an actual network of two computers (a server and my laptop), the client examples both fail.

The first example fails with this:

thread '<main>' panicked at 'Account Login Failed !!', examples/rest_api.rs:332
An unknown error occurred

The second example sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t…

Although this was just a local machine test, it should work on a LAN (we test that). So interesting to see why not here. Can you check

1. Both machines on actually the same LAN (not separate subnets)
  2. Only one vault is starter with -first (sorry about this first thing it’s a mistake that will be removed)
  3. At least 2-3 vaults per machine (for a network)

The network is not just on my lan, it’s also going across the internet. Both computers have 4 vaults running (with only one bootstrap node on the server) and all of the ports are open. If you want I can give you the ip + port so you can try it yourself. Right now me and @Southside are trying to connect our networks together to create a larger “testnet”.

Could be me that is screwing it up - I only have one vault running locally.
I’ll try again in 30 mins or so

Ah I see, your in the dark country there :slight_smile: Very soon we will create the testnet proper (it’s running in small scale just now). So it’s possible you need though to set the bootstrap.cache file on the other network (or all nodes not on original LAN, i.e. same subnet). We have not documented this yet, but you can do this (I won’t go to far as I am writing rfc’s and doing some test code, I know you will understand). This would work best on a bunch of remote directly connected vm’s (like digital ocean)

1. Pick a node as bootstrap.
  2. Set the hard coded port in the vault.bootstrap.cache file (be very careful to jsut change from 0 to a port you want).
  3. Port forward your router for that port.

This gives you a hard coded endpoint to connect to.

If running behind a router then

You will need to set all other bootstrap.cache files with a hard coded port and port forward your router to that. Then you need to change the bootstrap.cache files and add in at least one known ip:port (this will be the external IP:port) of your bootstrap node(s).

Now in network land so some things to consider. Some NAT devices do a thing called hairpin, which means that you can use the networks external port from within that network. Some don’t though.

So when testing like this behind NAT you will perhaps meet some smaller issues like this, but it should work.

Of course we are making this automatic and I guess you can see why :wink:

4 Likes