Satoshi revealed

“I want to work, I want to keep doing what I want to do. I don’t want money. I don’t want fame. I don’t want adoration. I just want to be left alone.”

New favorite signature line

2 Likes

That would be best, but on the other hand, he’s fooling quite some smart people and the BBC if he’s a con:

But Jon Matonis, a senior figure in the Bitcoin world, was in the room watching, having had his own demonstration some time before. And the news that Gavin Andresen, chief scientist at the Bitcoin Foundation, was also convinced provided more reassurance. Now Craig Wright has published his evidence on his blog, it will be examined in minute detail for any chink in his case.

There were different Satoshi’s before so the BBC was probably very careful when when they were approached.

2 Likes
1 Like

Craig Wright Claims He’s Bitcoin Creator Satoshi – Experts Fear An Epic Scam

We may never know the true identity the real Satoshi Nakamoto. Australian academic Craig Wright has reportedly confirmed himself as the Bitcoin creator, signing messages with cryptographic keys said to solely belong to Satoshi in private sessions with a handful of media organizations and community luminaries. But within minutes of Wright’s claims being published, encryption experts have expressed doubt.

In late 2015, Australian academic Wright was outed by Gawker and Wired as the most likely candidate for the true Satoshi. After analysing leaked emails and having traced Wright to his residence in Australia before he disappeared, it appeared he was indeed the original Bitcoin developer. But many later suggested there was no proof and that he had perpetrated an elaborate hoax.

But in a strange, rambling blog released today, Wright posted some limited information, including what readers believed to be the result of cryptographically signing a slice of text from existentialist philosopher Jean-Peal Sartre. The cryptographic representation of that signed text, the blog indicated (though didn’t specifically state), could only have been the result of signing with Satoshi’s original key. According to the BBC, he will reveal more public information in the future.

Backing up Wright’s claims were two significant members of the Bitcoin community: founding director at Bitcoin Foundation and CEO of Hushmail Jon Matonis, and chief scientist at the Bitcoin Foundation Gavin Andresen. Both were flown to London to meet Wright and be shown the cryptographic proofs, namely the signing of messages with a private key that most likely belonged to Satoshi (the key could have been stolen).

“During the London proof sessions, I had the opportunity to review the relevant data along three distinct lines: cryptographic, social, and technical. Based on what I witnessed, it is my firm belief that Craig Steven Wright satisfies all three categories,” wrote Matonis…

Full link

Here´s a Bitcoin dev:

Okay, now I want real proof :blush:. Satoshi wouldn’t “proof” himself without a public message and sign. This is to vague. Can the real Satoshi please stand up?

3 Likes

Yeah I mean the only thing that matters is the cryptographic proof right?

Everything else is just noise

4 Likes

Which neither you nor I will ever have. At best, you have to trust the word of the people present at the meeting where the proof allegedly was presented.

But smart people can be fooled by using the methods of stage magicians.

Why not? The real Satoshi could use TOR to create an email and twitter account and could sign a message like, “Hi there, this is the real Satoshi. Hello world”. When he/she posted several tweets like that we all know without a doubt that it’s the real one. Even if he/she stays anonymous.

2 Likes

And if he doesn’t do that? Where does your trail of proof lead?

And how does your twitter Satoshi-candidate prove that he is Craig Wright?

EDIT: My point is that proof is only one of the following kinds:

1. Disproof. I.e., discovery of a logical contradiction in a claim, or conflict with a known fact.

2. Mathematical proof. I.e., following a rigorous chain of logic starting from axioms (statements that cannot not be true).

3. The evidence of one’s senses.

That’s all there is.

That last one is provisional, really, to fend off paralysis and insanity. (I choose not to think about the possibility of being a brain in a bottle).

It also means you will never know God, even if he exists.

In practice, proof category 1. is what I rely on the most, supplemented with 3. for daily living.

1 Like

If I were Satoshi , I would just let all impostors roll;
it’s a spotlight position not really comfy to be exposed to, all the time.

What for would someone like Satoshi really need to be in the limelight?

2 Likes

This is how you prove it:

2 Likes

Gavin Andresen says: It’s him, he signed a message I provided:

What if Wright is Satoshi and he had to reveal himself due to pressure from higher instances, and bitcoiners are FUD everywhere in order to buy into other alternative coins before everybody else???

Look at the inventor of Litecoin, he made a tweet showing he indeed owns the private key for transactions in the genesis block. I think it took him less than 5 minutes to start his computer, opening the Litecoin client and create proof using a signature. Craig White could’ve just done that and publish a post on his website.

3 Likes

Interesting comments about Greg Maxwell. Timing is fuel for the conspiracy theorists. Is this about Classic/Core? Oh the drama…

1 Like

I said months ago to everyone on here that it was him. People looked at me like i was some sort of crazy person. Who laughing now??? Muhahaha

Who? Did Craig Wright do this?

Looks to me that some bright minds are exposing him as a fraud.

3 Likes

Well, there you go: If Gavin says it’s him then that’s proof!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Or a stolen key. Take your pick.

1 Like

Andresen admits it looks bad (for him), says he stands by the proof he saw, speculates that White has created the blog post in order to back out of proving his identity:

And it makes no sense for Andresen to trek around the world do this. What does it matter who Satoshi is? Something strange going on.

1 Like