Sanitation Microfarming ™️ - The Dung Beatle and the Ant will save the world!

Greetings fellow Safers! My name is Gregory Walker. I am an author, inventor and I guess you would call me a visionary. I met David Irvine in New York about six or seven years back. David you will remember me - I’m the guy who called you the “Braveheart” of tech.
Well I have been mostly lurking around since then, peaking in on the forums to see the latest developments brewing. And several years ago I came up with a project and conceived a device that I know can work hand in hand with Safe Network to cause real uplifting change in this world.
What if I told you guys that I have put together a new industry that is needed by more than half the population of the world and that I will be introducing this industry to those people with Safe Network at the very center of it?
It’s called Sanitation MicroFarming ™️, and it entails giving devices to billions of families that bio transforms human waste and table scraps into top grade soil for growing food, animal feed and medicines. Well that is what I am in the process of doing with my organization called Khepera Sustainability Cooperative Association and my patent pending device called the
D-Latrine™️. I am implementing a plan to give away these devices to people who need sanitation, income and food security. And Safe Network will be the primary means of organizing, communication and secure information storage.
The plan is to get folks to donate the funds to get these devices to those who need them, sell the lucrative products that get created via the device and share the revenue with those who donate. It is a farming cooperative effort, which is exempt from the Security Exchange Commission’s oversight according to our lawyers. We will be introducing our own digital currency called Khepera coin and those who contribute will get some of it too.
Our device (going through the patent process currently) mitigates methane gas and thus qualifies for lucrative carbon credits also.
We plan to work with people here in the Safe Network community to create a Khepera app that will live on the cell phones of all these users, and promote the use of Safe coin as private currency outside of the business uses where Khepera coin will be used. Having this effort underpinned by unstoppable, uncensored technology will ensure that the people will have what they need instead of suffering because of government vagaries. There is much much more to this and we have a preliminary “brown paper” for those who are interested. Thanks for taking this time.

14 Likes

How does this compare to Home Bio Gas? From what I read you turn organic waste (veggies,fruits,etc) into fertilizer right? I think a friend once told me you could not throw meat into it, or just any organic waste. Could you expand more on the process of going from waste to end product of farming food? Thank you. https://www.homebiogas.com/

4 Likes

I do, glad to hear form you again and great to hear you are still looking to help folk. I hope we can all help each other out. Sorry it’s taken us so long, but we are very focused right now and will deliver the network soon. It’s our duty :+1:

11 Likes

All I can say is God bless you and the team David. Sometimes leaps forward for humanity take time but once implemented the deal is sealed. I have only been working on this Khepera project for the last three years and the few I have showed it too leap up and down screaming “when, when, when” so I feel a little of what you guys are going through. The system won’t allow me to upload our preliminary “brown paper.” Tell me how to get it to you please.

4 Likes

Here is the intro from our “brown paper” that will put things in perspective:

Khepera Sustainability Co-operati ve Association (Khepera SCA) is a blockchain
based Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) initiated and organized
by African Legends Animation LTD (ALA LTD), a Bahamian based digital
technology and entertainment company. Khepera SCA is the governance
facilitator, alliance coordinator, promotions director and research & development
home base for a brand new industry called Sanitation Micro-Farming ™️, a new
resource sharing economy called Maat Kheperanomics ™️, and a management
system we call Proved By Cryptography (PBC). We exist to assist the Khepera
Sustainability Cooperatives being developed internationally to tap into the
untold billions in nutrient value hidden in human waste, just as our inspiration
and mascot does for the natural world – the sacred Khepra dung beetle.
The Khepera beetle, also known as the scarab, is a much revered insect widely
valorized in the texts, art and spiritual metaphors of many cultures, especially
ancient Egypt. Kheper means “creator” and Khepera means “self creator” in
ancient Egyptian. As you will come to understand this name is indeed a great
metaphor for the role this insect plays. The Khepera is a kind of dung beetle,
an important insect known on every continent except Antarctica, that plays a
critical part in both the natural world and in the business of agriculture. What
makes this creature so fitting for the symbol of an economic sharing system
underpinned by an industry based on bio transformation of human waste?
The Khepera dung beetle is the key agent in an astounding shared natural
ecological economy. This beetle collects animal waste and buries it for the
consumption of its nutrients. And by re purposing waste in an ecologically
sound fashion starves out disease spreading filth flies and parasitic worms. This
process also cuts down on odors and beautifies the landscape. These factors
are the basis of all man made sanitation systems and makes the Khepera dung
beetle the world’s chief sanitation worker!
That alone would be great enough to earn this insect its glorified status as
symbol of good luck and prosperity around the world, but it is also a fantastic
agriculturist. In the process of burying the feces it collects it also plants the
seeds contained within, and these seeds grow into food for the very animals
that contributed the waste. What the Khepera does not consume breaks down
and becomes one with the earth surrounding it, creating nutrient rich soil that
stabilizes the environment and serves as a foundation for both wild plants and
human cultivation. This makes the Khepera dung beetle the chief farmer of the
natural world – a micro-farmer!

One of the most astounding things about this often fierce looking insect is its
lack of a predatory nature. At no time is another creature harmed, resource
stolen, pillaged or taken by force in the life and work of the Khepera dung
beetle. Waste is freely given, life is created from it and life giving resources are
then freely shared. This epitomizes reciprocity and balance which are virtues
of Maat, the ancient Egyptian principle of natural order. It is the mandate of
the Khepera Sustainability Cooperative Association to duplicate the life giving
natural economic structure engaged in by this glorious insect and the world
around it via the introduction of a sharing economy called Maat Kheperanomics™️. And, just as some
economies are underpinned by oil, mining or fishing, this economy shall be underpinned by a new industry
inspired also by the Khepera dung beetle called Sanitation Micro-Farming ™️ proved by cryptography
(PBC).
Maat Kheperanomics™️ will be achieved by developing relationships with two groups of free will donors -
home, business or institutional user members called PODS (Product Origin Donors) who utilize our donated
sanitation micro farming devices to bio-convert their waste into products that they agree to donate back to
Khepera SCA to be marketed to the local and international farming community. The second group are our
IDG (Infrastructure Donor Giftpreneurs), mostly from richer nations, who donate the funds for the Sanitation
Micro Farming™️ logistics and devices needed. Khepera SCA will then sell or gift exchange the products,
sharing revenue and gifts received with PODS and IDG. For the sake of transparency and efficiency we
have decided that blockchain technologies work best for this endeavor. To see how a Decentralized
Autonomous Organization (DAO) works see this essay:
https://blockchainhub.net/dao-decentralized-autonomous-organization/

5 Likes

And here is an excerpt that describes problem:

THE SANITATION PROBLEM
Nearly 5 billion people, mostly in the developing world, are severely lacking in safe, sanitary toilet and
food waste facilities, leading to disease, environmental destruction, water pollution and child stunting. The
majority of these populations also suffer from severe food insecurity due to lack of farming resources-
resulting in malnutrition, armed conflict, and, tragically, even starvation. We think the two problems are
linked, and the key to solving them both is altering the way the world handles human waste. Today we think
of feces, urine, menstrual blood, table scraps and farm waste as garbage to be discarded - as opposed to
the way olden wisdom used to regard it – as a great resource for growing food. We also think blockchain
technology is best to handle this task, thus Sanitation Micro-Farming ™️ PBC has been created. It is an age
old dilemma that has only gotten worse, as illustrated so eloquently in the article below:
https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1227444/great-waste
HOW THE PROPLEM WAS HANDLED
HISTORICALLY:
While conducting research on enriching the agricultural prospects of the Bahamas, which has poor soil, it
was discovered that much of Africa and many other people on Earth also suffer from the devastating effects
of lifeless, nutrient poor soil. Chances of solving this issue looked grim, until the University of Sussex shined
a ray of hope:

700-year-old West African soil technique could help
mitigate climate change
Ancient farming practice could be the answer to offsetting carbon dioxide emissions,
preventing food shortages
A farming technique practiced for centuries by villagers in West Africa, which converts
nutrient-poor rain forest soil into fertile farmland, could be the answer to mitigating climate
change and revolutionizing farming across Africa.
A global study, led by the University of Sussex, which included anthropologists and soil scientists
from Cornell, Accra, and Aarhus Universities and the Institute of Development Studies, has for the
first-time identified and analyzed rich fertile soils found in Liberia and Ghana.
They discovered that the ancient West African method of adding charcoal and kitchen waste to
highly weathered, nutrient poor tropical soils can transform the land into enduringly fertile, carbon-
rich black soils which the researchers dub ‘African Dark Earths’.
From analyzing 150 sites in northwest Liberia and 27 sites in Ghana researchers found that these
highly fertile soils contain 200-300 percent more organic carbon than other soils and are capable of
supporting far more intensive farming.
Professor James Fairhead, from the University of Sussex, who initiated the study, said: “Mimicking
this ancient method has the potential to transform the lives of thousands of people living in some of
the most poverty and hunger stricken regions in Africa.
“More work needs to be done but this simple, effective farming practice could be an answer to major global challenges such as developing ‘climate smart’ agricultural systems which can feed growing populations and adapt to climate change.
Similar soils created by Amazonian people in pre-Columbian eras have recently been discovered
in South America – but the techniques people used to create these soils are unknown. Moreover,
the activities which led to the creation of these anthropogenic soils were largely disrupted after the
European conquest.
Encouragingly researchers in the West Africa study were able to live within communities as they
created their fertile soils. This enabled them to learn the techniques used by the women from the
indigenous communities who disposed of ash, bones and other organic waste to create the African
Dark Earths.
Dr Dawit Solomon, the lead author from Cornell University, said: “What is most surprising is that in
both Africa and in Amazonia, these two isolated indigenous communities living far apart in distance
and time were able to achieve something that the modern-day agricultural management practices
could not achieve until now.
“The discovery of this indigenous climate smart soil-management practice is extremely timely. This
valuable strategy to improve soil fertility while also contributing to climate-change mitigation and
adaptation in Africa could become an important component of the global climate-smart agricultural
management strategy to achieve food security.”
Story Source:
Materials provided by University of Sussex
Journal Reference:
Dawit Solomon, Johannes Lehmann, James A Fraser, Melissa Leach, Kojo Amanor, Victoria Frausin, Søren M
Kristiansen, Dominique Millimouno, James Fairhead. Indigenous African soil enrichment as a climate-smart
sustainable agriculture alternative. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 2016; 14 (2): 71 DOI: 10.1002/

5 Likes

And finally this excerpt describes the bio transformation process that you asked about described by our advisor Dr. Paul Olivier:

Khepera Sani-Farm ™️ bio-convertor number 1- Black
Soldier Fly Larvae:
Black Soldier Fly
The black soldier fly and its offspring black
soldier fly larvae (bsfl), is an insect that many
scientists expect to one day be as important to
human life as the honey bee. Khepera SCA agrees
because not only are there amazing uses for this
insect in the areas of sanitation and animal feed, but
the black soldier fly has extraordinary medicinal
uses. But before we get to the health products, here
is a fine article by black soldier fly larvae expert and
Khepera advisor Dr. Paul A. Olivier, a Vietnam based
sustainability expert. In this article he mentions some of the financial returns from farming this insect for sanitation purposes and how it can work with the other detritivore in the Khepera D-Latrine system- the red worm

BIOCONVERSION VIA LOWER LIFE FORMS
By Dr. Paul A. Olivier
…and how this could dramatically reduce carbon emissions
Black Soldier Fly Larvae
The agent chosen for this
bioconversion process is the larva of
the black soldier fly (BSF), Hermetia
illucens. This species of fly is indigenous
to the whole of the Americas, from the
southern tip of Argentina to Boston and
Seattle. Unlike many other flies, BSF adults
do not go into houses, they do not have
functional mouth parts, they do not eat
waste, they do not come into contact with
waste, they do not regurgitate on human
food, and consequently, they are not
associated in any way with the transmission of disease. They do not bite, bother or pester humans in
any way. The basic bioconversion numbers associated with this process are quite incredible, and they
are backed up and confirmed by many decades of intensive research in America, Australia and Asia.
Each day BSF larvae can digest over 15 kilograms of putrescent waste per square meter of feeding
surface area (3 lbs/ft2). In the case of putrescent waste of a low cellulose content, we also witness a
reduction in weight and volume that reaches as high as 95%, and under normal conditions, all of this
takes place within a period of less than 24 hours. Finally, in the case of rich substrates such as food
waste or pig waste, we see that 20% by weight of the fresh waste bio-converts into fresh larvae.
Thousands upon thousands of active larvae can be found in a putrescent waste disposal unit, and
in contrast to red worms, these larvae have the ability to eat and digest just about any type of fresh
putrescent waste, including meat and dairy products. The moment the waste is deposited into the
unit, the larvae begin to eat it long before it begins to rot and smell. But the larvae, nonetheless, do
give off a distinctive odor (not offensive to humans) that drives away houseflies and all other flies that
are a pest to humans.
After reaching maturity BSF larvae will crawl long distances in search of an ideal pupation site.
Prepupal migration initially appears to be a random search for a way out of the waste. If a ramp of an
upward inclination lies at the edge of the waste, the larvae will make every effort to climb up this ramp.
If, at the summit of the ramp, an exit hole is provided, the larvae will fall neatly and cleanly right into a
collection bucket.
Note that BSF larvae are totally self-harvesting. They abandon the waste only when they have reached
their final mature prepupal stage, and they crawl out of the waste and into a collection bucket without
any mechanical or human intervention.
BSF bioconversion units (called biopods) are now being manufactured in a medium density
polyethylene that lasts indefinitely. A nominal 2-foot diameter biopod (depicted above), weighing only
14 lbs (6.4 kg), can process over a metric ton of putrescent waste per year. A nominal 4-foot diameter
biopod, weighing about 40 lbs (18 kg), can process well over five metric tons of putrescent waste
per year.

Therefore, why should we go on collecting and land-filling food waste? Why should we allow
manure to accumulate on farms in unmanageable proportions? Why do we compromise the health
of birds and animals by raising them in close proximity to their waste? Why do we go on pumping
these creatures with antibiotics? Why do we eat the flesh of birds and animals grown under such
wretched conditions? All of this becomes even more nonsensical when we consider the value of
BSF larvae. BSF larvae have a dry matter content of almost 50%, and this dry matter is incredibly
rich in nutrients. It has a protein content of 42% and a fat content of 34%. It has roughly the same
value as Menhaden fish meal valued at over $1,200 US dollars per ton.
Of course BSF larvae emit a small amount of CO2 as they eat and digest putrescent waste, but
such an amount of CO2 is negligible relative to what happens when putrescent waste is dumped in
landfills or accumulates in lagoons. BSF larvae begin eating putrescent waste the minute it is made
available to them, long before anaerobic or even aerobic bacteria have an opportunity to degrade it.
Not only do BSF larvae prevent anaerobic bacteria from transforming waste into methane, but
they also prevent the huge release of CO2 that mesophilic or thermophilic bacteria would generate
if the waste were composted. Furthermore BSF bioconversion generates far less CO2 than even
vermi-composting seen as an isolated process, since red worms do not eat fresh putrescent waste
but depend upon bacteria to do an initial breakdown of waste. This initial degradation of waste by
bacteria releases large amounts of CO2 into the environment and consequently is far from ideal.
However when larval bio-conversion precedes vermi-composting, nothing could be more efficient.
The larvae capture nutrients long before bacteria have had a chance to degrade them, and the
non-putrescent BSF residue constitutes an ideal substrate for red worms. Recent studies in Asia
indicate that BSF residue allows red worms to grow three to five times faster than when fed fresh
putrescent waste. Not only do the proteins and fats made available in the larvae and red worms
rival in quality those of the finest fish meal, but they also represent the most efficient extraction and
conservation of nutrients and energy to be found anywhere within the natural world.
By allowing BSF larvae and red worms to extract proteins and fats from our waste, we do not have
to exploit to our oceans and farmlands to obtain these nutrients. When we consider the enormous
energy expended in fishing and agriculture, the utilization of these lower life forms becomes an
irresistible option to anyone seriously concerned about reducing carbon emissions.
But the story does not end here. When red worm castings are made available to a plant as
fertilizer, the plant will require far less nitrogen derived from fossil fuels and far less phosphorous
extracted from phosphorous-bearing rocks (an energy intensive process). Most nitrogen fertilizers
are derived from natural gas, and world reserves of phosphorous are rapidly dwindling and
increasingly contaminated with pollutants such as cadmium.
We talk a lot about sustainability, but we will never relate to nature in a sustainable manner until we
give back to nature in a closed loop all of the nutrients that she needs to sustain us. Capturing all
of the nutrients in our waste and making these nutrients available to the life processes that support
us is surely our first and most important obligation as citizens of plant Earth. Likewise, we talk a lot about reducing carbon emissions. But until we learn to utilize lower life forms to recycle putrescent waste, any attempt to achieve significant reductions in carbon emissions will always fall short.

6 Likes

So, literally a shitcoin. You could use this in your marketing.

7 Likes

I read the text you linked a little fast, so I just want to clarify the relationship of the device and the digital economy. Am I correct in saying that the plan is to pay producers in terms of digital currency so governments can’t regulate it and cut into the profits owed to producers? Is there a danger of governments regulating the hardware itself, or the products of your hardware prior to them being sold?

Anyway, really cool idea! I love the idea of converting an overlooked resource into a processed good for mutual benefit!

Damn, why didn’t I think of that sooner myself :laughing:

4 Likes

I read about the same thing (black soil) in south America, Chile I think. Years of forest natural burning (charcoal) had produced this same rich soil that grew much more food than our compost type soils. The key seemed to be charcoal held the nutrients and released them over a long period. So adding charcoal alone soaks up nutrients (many make that mistake). Key seems to be mix charcoal with composting material and then use that after it composts for a slow release nutrient flow into the soil.

I suspect if natural burns happen this process feeds itself. That is my guess though, no science :wink:

3 Likes

This sounds like something the inventor of the 5 hour energy might be interested in. The inventor, Manoj Bhargav was born in in India and became a billionaire from him invention and went on to become a philanthropist. He has already funded some great projects and there are 2 great films on YouTube, Billions in Change and Billions in Change 2.

1 Like

You got it man! But this process can be done in a matter of weeks with the assistance of creatures called detritivores (Detritivore Latrine!) This process was revered as the source of ongoing life by the ancient civilizations in the form of the dung Beatle - natures waste recycling champion that the Egyptians called Khepera. We are simply mimicking this natural process.

1 Like

We will use blockchain to account for the products and Safe Network for everything else.

1 Like

You are getting the idea dude! We will be giving the Sanitation Microfarming units away along with Safe Network apps to manage the effort and blockchain smart contracts to account for products and sales. It will solve a major problem for the governments in poor countries and they will be getting a cut of Khepera coin too. We are already in contact with officials from The Gambia who are interested in piloting this. For a tax deductible contribution to making this happen you get a share in the profits from the soil, animal feed and medicinals created by the system. And this is the kicker: if you are an investor in Safe coin, Bitcoin, Ethereum, Eos or any other coin on the market you can request that your share of the profits be paid to you in the crypto currency of your choice. There will be a lot of existing coins wanting to jump on this to greatly expand the usage (and therefore the price) of their coin. People in the US will be able to donate and get a tax write off via a 501c3 organization we are working with (which we will be expanding to other countries too) . A win win for everyone and it will revolve around the Safe Network.

5 Likes

Very soon more info about this product will be revealed, along with its profound implications for the Safe Network.

8 Likes

I’m liking this, you should try to get some of that Kill Gates money ,isn’t he just throwing it around in Africa at toilet projects?

1 Like

Rich guy Bill? Ya know that may happen! But I think the crypto currency and digital cash folk may be even more willing to get involved because this project is designed from the ground up to literally transform the nutrient value in piles of poop into whatever coin you want to get paid in! And believe me there is a lotta unchecked poop in the developing world where crypto wants to go! You get a D-Latrine - you’ll get a Safe Network app to manage it.
We intend to institute a new economic paradigm with uncensored money at the root of it.

4 Likes

Yes that Bill.

Have you trialed this on a small level locally?

1 Like

The basics of using black soldier fly larvae to consume putrid waste has been vetted at the university level and out in the field in several places in the developing world. So that is sound. The twist that my D-Latrine puts on it is the innovation of safe, odor free house use, along with digital coins and tech. We will be trialing the system soon, most likely in The Gambia. Below is a story with examples of some folks doing something like it but with outside public pit latrines (which I call hell holes of odor). The D-Latrine is designed for household use where workers can tabulate the products created by an individual family, record photo and video proof on Safe Network and pay households for products via smart contracts.

3 Likes

Have you done this in your own house, with neighbors, friends and family?