SAFE's Impact: Speculation, Anyone?

It does take a fair amount of time and effort to start having those epiphany moments with safenetwork; where your mind is suddenly blown and your jaw falls slack as you start to see the potential implications. It took me a while anyway.

Keep reading and researching though, when you start to see how deep this rabbit hole goes you’ll realise saying it could replace the current internet is more of an understatement than hyperbole. It can do so much more and so much better, it could help us to integrate and connect with each other and technology in a vastly superior way. No one can see the future, but we all have to make educated guesses with the limited information we have available.

I don’t think even the most optimistic and enthusiastic among us quite realise how big this technology could be, however it manifests itself. Maybe the first SAFE will get successfully attacked while it’s still vulnerable, maybe the tech will get used in a different way, or on a different network. Who knows?!

At the moment though it seems crazy to me not accept the possibility that SAFE itself could become the most ubiquitous technology on the planet. :confused:

3 Likes

I always get reminded of that clip of Bill Gates trying to explain the internet to David Letterman back in the day…lol.
SAFE will surely be used the same way…for things that haven’t even been dreamed up yet!

2 Likes

I see any area that requires mandated storage requirements (Healthcare, Financial, Legal, even government) having a significantly lower cost burden using SAFE in place of the current systems.

I work in finance and the requirements for document storage to meet compliance standards is outrageously expensive. All local servers and cloud servers must be audited and certified which severely limits the use of a lot of services such as dropbox, etc.

SAFE, I believe, will be able to open up access to many more options for storage, data redundancy and lowered costs.

Making the apps/UIs that run these new systems will be highly lucrative I would imagine! :smile:

2 Likes

What languages would be best to learn to be a developer in this space?

I was thinking of Erlang:

“Erlang is a programming language used to build massively scalable soft real-time systems with requirements on high availability. Some of its uses are in telecoms, banking, e-commerce, computer telephony and instant messaging. Erlang’s runtime system has built-in support for concurrency, distribution and fault tolerance.” https://www.erlang.org/

Depends what platform you want to develop for. My first app will run in the browser, so it’s mostly javascript for me.

It isn’t about a language. It’s about the problem or use case. Different tools for different problems so it is unfair to provide a general answer. The best thing to learn is how to learn something when it is the best fit for that particular problem.

2 Likes

I think encrypted messaging will grow the fasted at first, followed by “copycat” services that the legacy Internet provides. I think Silicon Valley investors will jump on board to get in early

1 Like

well the front end app can connect to the SAFE API, so pretty much whatever you want.

I have heard people doing stuff in HTML/CSS/JS, C++, etc. but you can actual have websites tap right into the API as well.

Some of the more popular tools I have heard are QT and Electron , however I would LOVE to see some game engines using SAFE as a back end! :wink:

Yes, the safe api is accessible via web browsers, which opens up a whole wealth of possibilities.

I wouldn’t underestimate how dynamic sites can be made without relying on server side execution too.

Early dynamic sites will likely be single owner editing content for read only consumers. This will be great for blogs immediately. Moreover, there is nothing to stop the link g of a series of different URLs to the same site, giving multi user like capabilities to content creation.

Moving beyond this, creating local day (e.g. a file) and sending a reference to another user will soon be feasible. This opens up possibilities of distributed sites, such as forums like this, but where posters physically own the data in the post on their vault. More needs to be fleshed out in the API for this, but solutions have already been discussed here.

With messaging, we have ways to send stuff between users, anonymously and instantly. Integrating this into apps will open up many possibilities too.

Sure, some things are hard to do without server side solutions, but with the right tooling/libraries, it may be easier than a lot of people think.

1 Like

I realized a lot of the potential right away. What’s taking a lot of time for me is the “how.” Things like learning programmming or understanding the API is what’s slowing me down more than grasping the potential applications of what could be done with SAFE.

The quick confirmation of Safecoin suggests gambling of all kinds.

4 Likes

If we could just have a version of 4chan that people could be reasonably confident in, maybe run by Decorum.

1 Like

I have a feeling that it won’t be long before you will be able to initiate just such a thing yourself.

3 Likes

And that would be wonderful.

2 Likes