SAFEr Browser(s) Proposal

Yeh, ditto. I’d built safe-js to this end around the 0.5 launcher APIs. It’s also, yet be updated though with latest changes.

Agreed. That’s my plan. A well documented code base should be easy to port to another browser or indeed for any chrome/firefox extensions as needed. The important thing will be establishing the patterns so SafeSite developers know what they can expect (and hopefully to get some X-implementation consistency).

2 Likes

If I had to guess, they would recommend the launcher. Besides the obvious ease of use as you pointed out, it also has easier user visibility (and ease-of-use for them), allows removal of access, and centralizes credential entry/storage instead of every app asking for user credentials and handling their own storage. One of my app’s needs will be for supported sockpuppets, so the feature for the launcher to easily support user switching is eagerly anticipated by me.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @joshuef for safe-js by the way :slight_smile: we have been using it for these early versions. Looking forward to updates if you will have time for it!

SAFE-FS + SAFE-JS FTW :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’d like to put some Maid into browser project but not clear how to do it. Is it donations or investment ? :confused:

IMHO your MAID is your vote on the importance/relevance of the project for you. There is a set of core features described and then stretch goals that are planned and decisions on how far @joshuef should go with this project can be communicated by how much brute MAID support is thrown in that direction from the community.

3 Likes

Thanks. Next question. Where do I throw the brutes? Any address? :grin:

1 Like

You will find the donation address in the author’s post - MaidSafe Dev Update 9th August 2016
Under SAFE Browser RFP
I will not copy the address here for security purposes.

Donating to the proposal is on one hand a selfless gift and on the other hand you are helping the overall safenetwork ecosystem grow which is for the benefit us all and that also includes you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s very helpful. I’ve got the address now and I’ll send some Maid. I guess,as this is donation, no worries if I send from exchange? The last pump was very kind to me so I’ll pass some along. Maidsafe rules. :grin:

6 Likes

For those who missed it, here’s the SAFEr part of the Dev-Update:

3 Likes

Perhaps this would be ideal for the browser? That is, it manages access for web apps, by becoming a FFI consumer, rather than a launcher consumer.

This would give the browser a finer grain of control over what web apps can/can’t do (from auth to data operations), while retaining them as first class citizens (as applications) on safenet. The UI for handling access could then remain within the browser, leaving the launcher to handle other stand-alone apps.

2 Likes

Sent .09 BTC , sorry it’s not maid :pensive: would have had to convert etc but am busy

5 Likes

How much does it need to hit? It’s over 26k maid with btc/maid at current rate now. 19371+1.1btc(7300)

I wonder if the solution here is something akin to allowing shared ownership of the folders? Not sure how that might operate in terms of API access, but there could be a system somewhat like twitter/facebook auth, where you’re directed to a site to acknowledge that another ‘entity’ wants/should be allowed access.

So ‘www.myapp’, wants to access ‘myapp’ folders. And then could be added as an owner, so no need for further auth.

This could be an interesting direction. It’s beyond the initial scope of the proposal, but down the line (or indeed into the stretches) this is an option to consider.

2 Likes

From the OP:

Less clear is the deadline for donations but if that’s just 110,000 MAID, that’s only ~16BTC.

1 Like

And are maidsafe also contributing through their bounty programme? I think I remember reading somewhere that they match it, so do we in fact only need to raise half of that here? Sorry, I could probably look all this up, but it’s easier if some kind soul just happens to know ;).

I think that was 2 weeks from yesterday.

1 Like

Yes this is the case, for proposals the community want (i.e. contribute at least 50% we cover the balance). There’s a 5,000,000 pot for this and many other areas, such as outreach, code bounties and more.

7 Likes

Ah fantastic, so we’re nearly half-way already.

Nice one David.

5 Likes

Happy to donate to this proposal, hopefully we get the stretch goals funded.
Great to see our contributions will be matched by Maidsafe!

7 Likes

I’m sure you folks have already sent off MAID, but I figure I’d do a friendly reminder and encourage everyone to do what they can to make the first project done in this way be a huge success. Success from this maiden voyage will make it much easier to bring in talent for future projects. Thank you!

3 Likes

Yeah, I sent 1btc (which i set aside at the time), which is about 6700Maid at current value - would be more if maid wasn’t up at 15k atm and was more then. Presumably the project budget look better if maid is higher though, so there might be a tiny bit of wiggle room depending where it is in two weeks?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes