SAFEr Browser(s) Proposal

I agree on getting rid of .safenet in favour of safe:// ( or even better safe: )
The sooner we get this change done , the clearer the adoption path will be

3 Likes

Yeh 2, should certainly occur by default. Especially with all non safe: traffic blocked.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll put these on a list to take a look at down the line.

3 Likes

It’s hardly set in stone: There will be other browsers and other ideas for human-readable names.

The network address is an alphanumeric string and the browser/launcher resolves what the user puts into the address field into that network address.

EDIT: Here’s the thing: People are accustomed to there being a central naming authority, ICANN, and haven’t noticed that, with SAFE, the rules have changed, so they continue to talk about a “protocol” for what is only a naming convention, as if it were a command from God.

But one might devise a naming scheme that is better than what has previously existed, a system of nicknames, put its database up on SAFEnet, and offer a browser and (plugins for existing browsers) that uses it, and make a nice income from the millions of GETs as users use it every time their browser/launcher uses it to resolve a name.

1 Like

@joshuef wow amazing works super duper on Win7 64bit.

Only small thing I’ve notice is video’s can’t yet be viewed in fullscreen mode, that’s with Youtube, Vimeo and probably SAFE Network hosted video’s I guess. (but the Beaker dev is probably aware)

This browser in combination with vault can even make you raise more funds than Brave, to get a team setup todo this real massively. Your pitch can be even better than Brave

• We make it possible for users to get paid (I’m curious if the vault can come with it’s own wallet?)
  • We don’t block advertisers
  • Find out how we do it :kissing_closed_eyes:

The browser is a great introduction to the SAFE Network. Download the new decentralized internet sounds like cocaine, download a browser that pays you sounds like weed, not that I’m highly educated about these matters. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

And they can’t do that at present?

SAFE Beaker Browser is the first browser that recognises the safe:// protocol scheme , all other browsers use the proxy .pac file plus .safenet extension workaround . Additionally Beaker seems to be the only one to render my ‘dynamic’ site ( animated ) properly safe://www.000 … all other browsers I tried ( FF opera , Brave , Safari , all on OSX 10.9.5 ) will show the defaulting static version and you’d have to use this scheme & host format : http://www.000.safenet

1 Like

The page animates in Firefox if you download the page (via Ctrl-S) and then re-open the local copy on the filesystem. It appears that what is going on here is that the SAFE browser doesn’t have the CSP headers that the proxy does, so it doesn’t block your inline CSS correctly. I’m guessing that will probably be fixed at some point when mixing SAFE/clearnet content is disabled.

2 Likes

And what is a protocol scheme, exactly?

I know people will argue the point vehemently, but it is not a protocol, it is a syntax, a convention about how to write something. Quite arbitrary and operating at the human interface.

A protocol is a set of rules for machines (or people!) to communicate (you say this, they say that, etc). Then there’s the syntax of the communication.

Kudos for your videos playing.

We had a really good answer to this and all related in another thread , so I paste here the entire quotation ; please visit the link provided to the original thread to get all the other hyperlinks contained in @mav’s great post

1 Like

It seems like this browser paying out it’s users will become the new thing, because even Opera might consider doing it.

Still the SAFE Browser has more advantage

• Pay out users in a total anonymous money
  • We don’t block advertisers or can totally block advertisers and still pay out users
  • We really care about your privacy (would be fun if browsing history could be stored on the SAFE Network directly, paid for with farmed SAFEcoins)
3 Likes

Great point,

Don’t worry about it then. You’re totally right :slight_smile:

What about Firefox? Did we release a way for Firefox to use safe:// yet? I heard it was possible

In other words, you have no idea of an answer to my question other than to paste from a supposed authority, quoting RFCs from IETF, not Maidsafe.

The paste from @mav does not refer to the address syntax as a protocol. Let’s see: “Uniform Resource Identifier Generic Syntax”.

A syntax, i.e., an arbitrary way of writing the address.

If it can be written one way then it can be written another way, not necessarily with .safe, which I was not referring to above.

SAFEnet is not the Internet, yet from habit we are supposed to take our cue from the IETF’s pronouncements on how to write a browser address?

@bluebird while appeal to authority might be a weak argument I think you might be missing the broader context and eco system of interacting standards that come into play.

“safe://” is a valid uri. “safe:” isn’t. Why is this important? It’s important because many people, primarly content creators seem to be assuming that the technologies they’re currently using, html, javascript, etc should still work pretty much as expected.

needlessly changing from using valid URI’s to a home brewn variant breaks all of those standards for the simple reason of you don’t liking two slashes.

There’s no drawback to adhering to the standard, there’s a clear point to communicate the safe intent. It’s simply a “I want to be unique for the sake of uniqueness” argument to be upset over two slashes.

1 Like

That may be an important argument. Has anyone done any research about the general direct and future consequences of having both safe:// and safe:? Could get really messy! Both for developers and end users.

1 Like

Yes, why does safe:// work while safe: can’t?

We’re talking about the highly configurable SAFEr Browser right? Can’t we just make it work?

You can put anything in the adresss bar.

The problem is if you apply the same square wheel to content you break authoring tools and essentially every library assuming well formed html or xhtml. Plus any libraries assuming or requiring valid uris. Like some http client libs.

It’s uneccessary breakage and complexity unless it stays a ui candy thing only.

1 Like

So I am a bit lost here, it seems like if you use “safe:” , that’s all jolly good in the search bar, but your code wont have any idea what to do with “safe:”, but since “safe://” is already a recognizable standard by html, etc, it would detect it and know what to do with it…?

Seems silly to use a bespoke protocol if we would have to bridge existing standards to play nice, just for the sake of being unique…

1 Like

The syntax of generic URIs and absolute URI references was first defined in Request for Comments (RFC) 2396, published in August 1998,[3] and finalized in RFC 3986, published in January 2005.[4]
A generic URI is of the form:
scheme:[//[user:password@]host[:port]][/]path[?query][#fragment]
It comprises:
The scheme, consisting of a sequence of characters beginning with a letter and followed by any combination of letters, digits, plus (+), period (.), or hyphen (-). Although schemes are case-insensitive, the canonical form is lowercase and documents that specify schemes must do so with lowercase letters. It is followed by a colon (:). Examples of popular schemes include http, ftp, mailto, file, and data. URI schemes should be registered with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), although non-registered schemes are used in practice.[b]
Two slashes (//): This is required by some schemes and not required by some others. When the authority component (explained below) is absent, the path component cannot begin with two slashes.[6]
An authority part, comprising:
An optional authentication section of a user name and password, separated by a colon, followed by an at symbol (@)
A “host”, consisting of either a registered name (including but not limited to a hostname), or an IP address. IPv4 addresses must be in dot-decimal notation, and IPv6 addresses must be enclosed in brackets ().[7][c]
An optional port number, separated from the hostname by a colon
A path, which contains data, usually organized in hierarchical form, that appears as a sequence of segments separated by slashes. Such a sequence may resemble or map exactly to a file system path, but does not always imply a relation to one.[9] The path must begin with a single slash (/) if an authority part was present, and may also if one was not, but must not begin with a double slash.
Query delimiter Example
Ampersand (&) key1=value1&key2=value2
Semicolon (;)[d][incomplete short citation] key1=value1;key2=value2
An optional query, separated from the preceding part by a question mark (?), containing a query string of non-hierarchical data. Its syntax is not well defined, but by convention is most often a sequence of attribute–value pairs separated by a delimiter.
An optional fragment, separated from the preceding part by a hash (#). The fragment contains a fragment identifier providing direction to a secondary resource, such as a section heading in an article identified by the remainder of the URI. When the primary resource is an HTML document, the fragment is often an id attribute of a specific element, and web browsers will scroll this element into view.

perhaps I need to ask a more basic question as well then:

is this different from how http: operates? http: is nothing by itself, unless it is in a complete form of http:// ? Is this true as well? if so then I understand what you mean.