SAFEr Browser(s) Proposal

10, and 20 chars :slight_smile:

Certainly does. Means the rebuild step is broken, which i kinnnda expected. Iā€™ll be setting up appveyor today which should get the windows app building on windows.

Thanks for testing!

1 Like

There is a hurry to get a functional browser out, but a concern about precedent. Sorry I will make some non technical end user preference comments.

Its so true that the major browsers are spyware. They are also sponsor platforms. And yet what SAFE demands is an end user browser platform exclusively. Its not a stakeholder model, the only stake holder is the end user here as we are all end users. The end user should have total control over the browserā€™s function and that should be the default.

Seems vital that there be no ability for sites to manipulate sliders or back/forward or volume or push pop ups or worst of all modal ads (granted a stripper program is likely need here) or black or grey out he screen, or resize windows and the ā€œ//ā€ should be gotten rid of, there should be some way to do it. At some point there will be a no compromise browser (I know this is a quick start) possibly written in Rust for security and promoting end user patterns that keep the end user base empowered.

I think we will find that is really not enough to simply strip the ad or sponsorship industries ability to spy away, systems must also crucially strip away its ability to rob attention and distract as this makes a massive difference in the aggregate. And this holds even if there is pay the producer, you donā€™t want an ads plus model.

Same error for me on both my windows machines, 8 and also on my 8.1 machine.

So looks like with @nowfeelsafer , that same error comes up on 8, 8.1 and also 10.

So itā€™s definitely a widespread windows error

Yup, would be the build environment failing. Iā€™ve going through an appveyor crash course today :stuck_out_tongue: (windows build system) Iā€™ve aallllmost got it going, itā€™s building, just not deploying what it builds :|. Hopefully shortly thereā€™s a working version.

Linux and OSX

Travis builds seem to be working. You can check the latest here:

1 Like

@whiteoutmashups try that for a windows build, if youā€™d be so kind. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Iā€™m trying travisā€™ Beaker on OSX 10.9.5 . App Icon jumps on the dock but nothing else happens further , then it becomes unresponsive ā€¦

Update : Iā€™m trying your browser as well , so far , I got it to load , will update more in a bit

1 Like

Will do asap! Thanks for the work!

works like a charm here :slight_smile:

Which system? :slight_smile: 20 chars

Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit

6 Likes

Yeh? Amazing news. Thanks for testing.

3 Likes

Perfect, Win 8 & 8.1

Amazing, worked right out of the box. Thanks so much for the work here!

Looks like the windows problem really has been fixed now :smiley:

7 Likes

Works with Windows 10 64bit perfectly :ok_hand::grinning:

7 Likes

Nice work @joshuef! got it running on Win 10/64

3 Likes

Visit safe://www.000 with Beaker Browser , itā€™s animated ( this link works currently only in SAFE Beaker Browser )

9 Likes

Would it be possible to give SAFEr the ability to convert clicked .safenet links to safe:// automatically?

I was clicking on peopleā€™s .safenet submissions by habit, which just gives the error page.

Would make the SAFEr browser just that much smoother for new people

1 Like

Works well on windows 7 64bit. Iā€™m having a few issues though.

1. I canā€™t copy and paste links into the address bar. I have to manually type them in.

2. If I were to type in the url without safe://, it fails to resolve and the page does not load.

3. No easy way to save a page onto my HD.

Theyā€™re all minor gripes. Iā€™m happy to see something usable in such a short period of time. Kudos. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Testing on Win 10 64-bit. Working. :+1:

1. I can copy and paste into the address bar with the keyboard, but not right-click and paste with the mouse.

2. Only working with safe:// or .safenet. Not working with safe: nor without safe://.

3 Likes

Itā€™s possible. Not sure itā€™s advisable, especially if we want safe: use to propagateā€¦ It also would require some extra fork functionality of beaker which weā€™re currently trying to avoid.

Given the strong feelings about .safenet, I think we should be looking to get rid of its use ASAP. Although discourse is currently not helping as it seems to sanitise any non http protocols out of links :expressionless:

3 Likes