SAFEr Browser(s) Proposal

I thought there was recently plugin capabilities that made forks less necessary with beaker? I may be talking out of my bum too but I swear I read that. But I would still support adding the man that had created beaker in the first place or even just spreading the love and appreciation a little to show this is a respectful community that wants to grow and flourish with others in the open source environment

2 Likes

I have a concern in regards to app development. If apps are going to have a lot of business logic in the front end, and we donā€™t have a robust browser like Chrome with V8 JavaScript engine to process the Javascript, wouldnā€™t that hinder a lot of app development.

Also, having a familiar browser that people already use, such as Chrome or Firefox, would make it easier for mass adoption.

Wouldnā€™t it be better to just make plugins or extensions for browsers already being used.

SAFEr is currently built with the electron framework which uses the V8 engine so you would theoretically get the same performance.

These are not mutually exclusive. we can have a browser dedicated to Safe and plugins for the other classic browser. Apparently itā€™s ā€œjustā€ Chrome that may cause a problem and this is part of the debate of using .safenet vs safe://.

3 Likes

Lol please read the ages of discussion and arguments against that, that have taken place above.

Both can be made eventually, but creation and promotion of the new safe:// protocol instead of http:// has been decided to be much more important now for everyone.

But yes you can make plugins, everyone can. And will. Go ahead :slight_smile:

but weā€™ve all decided to dedicate these scarce resources donated to this particular browser towards creating an entirely new, powerful protocol safe://, to give the world something very clear, exciting, and brand new in terms of serving internet data / apps

3 Likes

Did you install the latest version of Node JS?

Hello everyone,

Just a quick one from me. I know you guys are discussing creating your own browser ( safer browser).

I just came across a malware that happen to be of the same name:

So maybe would be work giving the product a different name.

5 Likes

Good time to remind the community to support @PaulFrazee Beaker project. Change the name from SAFEr to SAFE Beaker.

1 Like

Morning all! Sorry, Iā€™ve been off the grid the weekend, so catching up on this now.

Iā€™ll fire in and get some responses shortly!

1 Like

Iā€™ll be posting updates as regularly as make sense once Iā€™m started.

Iā€™ll be on it (most likely) every Wednesday so that might make the most sense if I do go weekly. And yeh, as soon as I have installers (and then updates to them), Iā€™d hope to be getting them in peopleā€™s hands asap.

As Iā€™ve not officially started yet. Thereā€™s been some small work on the master fork, but nothing worth committing yet. This will pick up speed once funding is sorted.

As right now itā€™s a simple fork of the code (with a few lines added/changed), the build instructions are the same at this point.

3 Likes

@DavidMtl It looks to me like you might not have run the npm run rebuild step.

Beyond that, Iā€™m not sure. Sometimes npm fails on an install and youā€™d have to wipe the whole node_modules folder and start from that step again if the above doesnā€™t work.

Hopefully though, Iā€™ll be able to dedicate some time to this and get the packages building so no one will have to go through NPM hell soon enough!

1 Like

Yeh, the new plugin setup from @PaulFrazee is great and for safe: and javascript injection a fork is not needed. Other changes to the code currently would need a fork (for some stretch goals, eg.).

2 Likes

@PaulFrazee Sounds absolutely reasonable.

My plan with any fork was only to go as far as needed for any extra functionality. I absolutely donā€™t want to erase ā€˜beakerā€™ naming even then (which Iā€™m aware is in the terms to keep anyway). So your suggestion about a package system for additional functionality while keeping the beaker brand presence seems ideal :thumbsup:

The SAFEr Browser could be more like a custom ā€˜SAFE buildā€™ of Beaker or something, and then you could have an IFPS build and DAT build and so onā€¦

3 Likes

Kinda like different flavors of Beaker :smile:

SAFE Beaker
IPFS Beaker
DAT Beaker

3 Likes

What is the plan for the name at the top right of the browser?

1 Like

I hope you are not waiting until 100% of funding is complete before starting on the project?

1 Like

My vote would be to keep it very simple:

SAFE Browser

In the top right SAFE would be enough IMO.

1 Like

Safe Browser powered by Beaker

2 Likes

What about support for @PaulFrazee and his Beaker browser?

1 Like

I like it but it is a bit lengthy.

1 Like

And incognito mode a condom icon :smile:

1 Like