SAFEr Browser(s) Proposal

There are a lot of great ideas/features discussed for future browser projects. Following the KISS school of thought, any feature or function beyond the most simple implementation to browse SAFE: sites are moot if we don’t start with a solid foundation. I don’t like playing by the rules or conforming to the lowest common denominator. Let the corps with deep pockets build out later that will scoop up the masses and likely continue to exploit them. Our first implementation should be simple, well documented and be bursting with character that tells the world we are going to play by our rules.

Click, install and go. Nothing seems more simple to me than typing in MrAnderson (SAFE:mranderson) in browser address bar and viewing my site. If this train is not starting there then a new train will be built.

9 Likes

@MrAnderson hero we need, if SAFEr proposal won’t listen to the people anymore :slight_smile: might get your proposal back up and running in that case

2 Likes

You have my support :smile:

2 Likes

Maybe we need two browsers. One that does everything that @joshuef is proposing and one that is very simple.

What is the right thing to do? Either way you go one side is going to be disappointed and think that team is doing the wrong thing.

Edit: then again it’s been a long day and I should probably sleep on it.

Nevermind, you’re right. Best not to divide limited resources, on second thought…

1 Like

IDK, that second one is kinda catchy :stuck_out_tongue: lol

1 Like

For SAFEr Browser, why not support both for the time being? It shouldn’t take much code, and then when the discussion is finalised we can disable one or the other.

2 Likes

Indeed.

Actually, both already exist. (in Brave or Beaker POCs).

I think the important thing, as you say, is to release ‘one’ setup though, as we feel best suits SAFE.

2 Likes

Well, one day later it’s clear there’s a strong feeling around the safe: topic, stronger than I’d anticipated, heh.

I appreciate the suggestion of change of direction was a bit of a shock, so apologies for that. I’ll choose my wording more carefully in future, and offer more explanations up front before making changes a main proposal. That is noted.

I’m not sure there’s a need to rerun any poll. I feel like the main points around it have been made for both points, and a cursory read of this topic, the discussion thread, and (unofficial) poll threads makes things pretty clear.

The good thing is, that over and above the safe: vs .safenet question, some other questions about what people want/need/expect from a browser came up (possibilities of it with launcher integration… how far to go with any integration… browser/launcher bundles…what is a launcher, for example), which will be helpful down the line.

So, I’m intending to update this proposal again, to produce a safe: protocol browser (as it was originally).

The remaining changes (removal of anonymous launcher access stretch) will stand for now. If there’s demand it could be reinstated, as a further stretch goal. But I feel it’s not something for a ‘basic’ browser in the first instance (which is something that came up a lot in the threads).

Instead I’ll focus specifically on the browser first and foremost (which I think is a higher priority), with the ‘browser data’ stretch looking to ensure all user data is stored on the network, while still allowing standard browser behaviours like ‘history’ and ‘favourites’ to function, SAFEly.

Thanks for all the input! It really was helpful :slight_smile:

22 Likes

@joshuef if your code is anything like as good as your handling of this proposal and debate we’re in for a treat. Go man! :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I fully agree! great work @joshuef.

3 Likes

@joshuef can we expected weekly updates :smile:

If so on what day? My vote is for Monday’s.

Edit: maybe new installers every week :wink:

Happy birth day to this project. It is one month old today.

2 Likes

Nice to see activity :smile:

2 Likes

I am curious why there have not been any commits since Jul 20, 2016.

I would also recommend updating the README.md file. I am confused about the build instructions? If I am not mistaken those instruction build pfrazee/beaker browser not SafePOC?