SAFEr Browser(s) Proposal

This is the error that we were all getting a while back also. Looks like it comes up again here and there along SAFEr development

Has to do with the node packages right?

If not already, try:

npm install
npm run rebuild
npm start

If that doesn’t work, check your version of npm is up to date. I’m on mobile so can’t check what I’m using but @whiteoutmashups can I guess.

3 Likes

I have hit similar issues on fedora 21,

Hope this can help !

1 Like

@nice,

Can’t compile anything from that tgz . .

I get the same problem still . .

Right now there’s build problems with linux. I’ve a docker image prepped locally which is booting, I just need to hook this into travis.

I’m going to fire in there this eve, so (fingers crossed) working linux builds (pre packaged, so no install) coming soon.

If you are trying to build from source, I’d suggest working from the git/master branch and not the bundles right now as they’re unreliable.

On which: what version of node are you running (node -v).

4 Likes

@joshuef I was thinking about the SAFE Mail App. Would it be possible to create some sort of App-page on the browser? So you open the browser and choose “SAFE Mail” or “SAFE Chat” or “WALLET” by clicking some icons. The Apps could be default and part of the release of the browser. That way no one can alter the code later on and everybody has the same set of Apps presented by some nice icons. Chrome Apps failed because people already run apps on their PC. For the SAFE Beaker Browser it could work I think. All apps and tools in view by just opening the browser.

8 Likes

Nice idea. Should entirely be possible, and something to look at after the stretches are done!

4 Likes

Having people build HTML5 apps for the SAFE Browser while accessing the new API capabilities would be a fairly easy transition for a lot of devs I would think! Great idea!

4 Likes

This could be pretty huge…

1 Like

Is there any vision by Maidsafe on this? @frabrunelle @dirvine ?

We’re seeing brand new apps appear on a weekly base now. Does Maidsafe has a vision about how to center them all around 1 interface like a browser? Or another App-environment? We might see external devs build a lot of great stuff but if they know things will be centered in a browser they might switch development a bit concentrating on web-apps.

2 Likes

Something like a App store would be awesome, also if its possible to be added to the browser with icons on a main page for fast app starting.

4 Likes

Yes, this would be cool: Start SAFE Beaker Browser > see a list of 15 or so App > be able to add more.

With the chrome app they even allowed an App to just point to a website. This could be handy as well. You have a list of Apps on your opening view and next to that icons that link directly to your favorite websites.

2 Likes

I’m not a designer guy but tried some stuff with GIMP. Got some help from a machine learning website that did the logo’s. It’s quite cool, type in a name and choose a logo :upside_down:.

5 Likes

Super cool technology!!

1 Like

How do you clear the cache on the SAFE Beaker Browser?

Nope. Chrome apps were pretty successful for a little while, and the concept was since ported to Chrome OS. The Chrome apps were there to fill a gap, but since webapps can now me made in a cross-browser fashion, they are discontinuing the service in favor of cross-browser NW.js for webapps and cross-platform Electron (which btw shares their codebase with Chrome) for apps.

2 Likes

Love the browser!!

Using it every day. It has come so far :smiley:

2 Likes

Can someone show some screenshot’s i cant try it out right now but i would love to see it.

This is very unknown in the maidsafe space, I bought some just because they support maidsafe…

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and really identifying an important element that naturally bonds people who value openness freedom and choice.

This is nicely timed and I am going to make a post that further elaborates where I would like to push further.

Thanks again.

Please follow a new thread I just created here: No matter what your belief is on the Value of DASH -- There is an important lesson we can learn