This is an updated proposal to fund development of an initial SAFE Network browser.
- Reimplementation of the original goal to produce a
- Addition of continuous integration and app packaging to basic development goals.
- Removal of anonymous launcher integration stretch goal. The launcher will remain separate (for not, can be debated or added later if desired).
- Addition of browser data stretch goal to integrate browser data sync to the network, instead of any data storage on a local device (ie: history/favourites/a ‘cookie’ system etc).
You can donate to the dev fund here:
The browser will (initially) be a fork of Beaker, a simple browser that should allow for rapid prototyping and development.
Initial development will aim to get a usable, secure, safe-only browser in the community’s hands, further goals will look to incorporate SAFE browser functionality for user’s data (eg. history/favourites).__
I have a Proof of Concept using Beaker working without the need for the proxy using a ‘safe://’ protocol.
This build currently requires some build and technical know-how to run, which is described in the README.
The Beaker POC will be updated to use beaker’s plugin functionality for the
safe: protocol and app builds, asap___
The browser will advance via a concept browser implementation in Beaker.( as it’s easier to work with a smaller codebase, iterations will be faster.)
The main aims of this development will be:
- Rapidly create a useable SAFE only browser. Utilising a
safe:to denote access to the SAFE network.
Should more features be required I’d look at implementing them after all basic requirements of a SAFE browser have been met. (Two stretch goals are noted).
Beaker is a minimal browser, and so might not have all the functionality of larger browsers (it’s very minimal not as easily to ‘extend’ as Chrome, for example). But for an initial browser, it should be much faster to work with.
Initial Development goals.
- DONE: POC beaker browser, access the SAFE Network without needing the proxy.
- Allow only SAFE network access in the browser.
Inject API endpoints into the browser window for webapps. This will allow launcher access as part of a standard
SAFE Browserexperience. (Likely via an updated version of safe-js).
- Continuous integration setup to allow for testing and app packaging.
Initial development goals can be achieved for 65,000 MaidSafeCoins. Progress will be reported at every goal (if not more frequently), ready for user testing and feedback.
I envisage a locked down SAFE-only beaker, sans proxy, ASAP (~ two weeks from start of development). Implementing APIs will require more testing to ensure it’s robust, and will follow thereafter (~ 2-4 weeks).
- 25,000 MaidSafeCoins: Implement clearnet ‘indicator / switch’. Enable clearnet access when desired via browser UI, to optionally re-enable clearnet browsing.
- 35,000 MaidSafeCoins: SAFE browser sync Add history / favourites / cache / settings to the network and prevent local browser caching via saving browser data directly to the SAFE network, and preventing saving in the local browser.
I’ve been a forum member for a couple of years (or so) and I’m pretty stoked to be able to finally use my skillset for something useful and SAFE!
I’m planning to work on this 20 hours/week (1/2 time) time as needed to get through all funded development goals.
A Beaker POC, running without the need of the proxy is available here. Please note: this is not currently a fully secure experience. Normal HTTP requests are still enabled.
Complete app packages of the POC for windows/osx/ubuntu will follow asap once app purveying has been set up.