Ok folks, anyone wants to collaborate/offer feedback etc on an actual project in this direction let me know. I have started to formulate a plan, but as its almost certainly too ambitious for me to carry to conclusion alone, I’m looking for folks who are eager to get their teeth into a collaborative project:
- prove this in principle by stages, for example:
- create the data (web pages/blog posts/comments) manually in CouchDB, 2) adapt an existing CouchApp CMS/blog to use this data and provide a website/app served from CouchDB, 3) write scripts to create additonal data structures and store in the DB alongside the documents. (Additional indexes will be needed by SAFE to enable the client to use only the REST document API, and replace any code that uses more sophisticated CouchDB database functions).
- extend the web app to provide document creation/edit/update/delete that also updates the indexes, first for posts/pages, then for comments. This will need to take account of ownership/write permissions on different elements (document types and indexes) and have these reflected in the UI that the web app provides, so it will appear differently for the website owner, an author, and a visitor (cf. WordPress or similar CMS).
- once the SAFE REST API is available in a browser plugin, switch from http: and CouchDB to safe: and SAFE API
Well, that’s a very brief outline. You’ll see that there’s a mix of skills, and not necessarily just programming. I’ve focussed on that, but as a web app, it would also need design skills (graphic, CSS etc) documentation and so on, so if you have a hankering to be involved please get in touch whatever your interest or experience.
If this gets to be something that others use and starts earning Safecoin rewards we’ll get everyone who contributed together to agree some way to divide any rewards. I don’t want to focus on that now - at least not until it looks like there’s a team building something, though am open to it if that’s what people want.
Thanks to all who helped me get to this point - you know who you are Let’s see if it can get to the next stage!
How To Get Involved
Head over to github, clone the repo, PM me your email and ask for an invitation to Trello (https://trello.com/safepress).
- git clone https://github.com/theWebalyst/safepress
- read / comment on SAFEpress Outline Design.md
- SAFEpress has a website: http://safepress.io and twitter: http://twitter.com/safepress
- Thanks to @Southside our tasks are now on Trello (don’t use Safari browser) and are flying!
- see the SAFEpress and SafeApp Web App Framework Architecture diagram
- new: we have a SAFEpress Google Group for discussions
For anyone just starting on this topic, here’s a couple of earlier threads with some background that lead me to this point: