SAFENetwork Quantum Resistant?

I’ve always thought of Moore’s Law as a market tool… an agreement between chip manufacturers not to get too far ahead of each other.

1 Like

Nah, it was an observation of an engineer and has held true until recently. For NAND memory it is in an explosion. For single place transistor it has slowed down.

Also it is not what most think it is. It was # transistors per unit area increase.

It was not computer power

4 Likes

When satoshi’s coins get moved, and banking encryption is wrecked it will all be to late to stress about it! Fear not.

wow, that’s really interesting and looks like it could be built fairly quickly with existing lithography techniques. If it works as well as they think could possibly even crimp the demand for qbit computers down the track. I expect all the qbit research funders are going to be worried about the maturity date of their investments when they learn about this tech.

The circuit successfully solved what is often considered a “quantum” problem: Breaking down, or factoring, numbers such as 35,161 and 945 into smaller numbers, a calculation known as integer factorization. These calculations are well within the capabilities of today’s classical computers, but the researchers believe that the probabilistic approach demonstrated in this paper would take up much less space and energy.

“On a chip, this circuit would take up the same area as a transistor, but perform a function that would have taken thousands of transistors to perform. It also operates in a manner that could speed up calculation through the parallel operation of a large number of p-bits,” said Ahmed Zeeshan Pervaiz, a Ph.D. student in electrical and computer engineering at Purdue.

Realistically, hundreds of p-bits would be needed to solve bigger problems—but that’s not too far off, the researchers say.

2 Likes

Speaking of Moore’s law, this is very good:

8 Likes

Is Quantum Resistant important for SafeNetwork?

1 Like

At some point it will be. Some of the Safe Network is already resistant … but not sure about all of it yet.

That’s a great vid! Our first family PC was a 386sx 33mhz - I remember it well! :slight_smile: It had a whole 2mb of RAM and a 100mb hard drive.

We had a Commodore 64 before that, but it was more or a toy!

2 Likes

No need to worry about a slowdown in performance. Considering multi-stacked or 3D chips, a new moore’s law will just be proposed based on a volumetric basis, rather than planar area alone. I believe Moore’s law has been a self-fulfilling prophecy. It has given whole populations of engineers a lofty goal to achieve, and so they did. No goal equals no progress.

2 Likes

Are these reports true?

Scroll up! That story is what revived this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Moore’s Law predictions vs actual growth in transistor count.

Guy got this stuff unbelievably spot-on… This may actually be the first serious potential evidence of time travel :rofl:

Nah. He was in the right place with the right background knowledge to recognise the trend. And as a major player, he had VERY good marketing reasons for publicising his observation. No time travel involved, Gordon Moore is simply one very bright guy. To whom we should all be very grateful. But he’s no time traveller.

You don’t appreciate just how sensitive the results to the exponent are.
Had he been just a little off, the difference would be monstrous by now.
Just for the record, I don’t actually think he’s a time traveler.

1 Like

Some people are exaggerating the crap out of the google announcement →

4 Likes

That is just poor journalism recycling what they’ve written 10 times before.

5 Likes

A blog of Scott Joel Aaronson about the subject. A bit too technical to completely understand (at least for me), but nevertheless interesting.

6 Likes

Thanks for that link @draw - clarifies a lot IMO.

3 Likes

Adding my thanks here, though I would like the hour of my life back that I spent trying to get my head round the initial article and some of the fascinating links. Much of it way above my head, but I feel slightly better-informed now.
As BLS signatures still use an elliptic curve, should we be theoretically concerned, or is it only some elliptic curve solutions that look likely to be eventually crackable?

4 Likes

BLS would indeed be bust when quantum is around, but we would switch to lattice well before then. I see it as a single login and auto update for users. The issue will be users will need to login. AES etc. is all cool though

14 Likes