Safenetwork Git Portal Discussion

I cloned a weird thing called happybeing/vdash also with Firefox 83 but the Minty version in my case. And I also failed to upload a local directory via drag’n’drop. The “Test…” buttons all produce some output in the console.

1 Like

Are you getting refs to localhost:8010 in the FF console?

Should really read that file README.md

“Note: drag and drop of files is not properly supported yet.”

1 Like

Try adding “.git” to the URL.

1 Like

Sorry Mark no joy with GitHub - willief/go-algorand-doc: Documentation for Algorand's Go implementation in Brave

EDIT: or FF for that matter
EDIT: After 5 mins it worked - I never touched nuttin - honest - was busy on another screen and out of the corner of my eye monitor#3 updated…

1 Like

Took a little while but worked for me. Vivaldi 3.1.1929.45 also.

2 Likes

For @JPL @southside and anyone building the p2p-git-portal-poc, I have switched to using Golang 1.15 (was 1.13) because this is required by one of the git-bug dependencies. To support 1.15 I’ve also updated the Go wasm plugin.

So when you clone or pull the latest p2p-git-portal-poc, you will also need to switch to Go 1.15. You might find it easier to do this using Go version manager which makes installing, upgrading and switching Golang versions very easy, so I now recommend it. See gvm for installation.

If you have installed Go using your distro repos, unintall (e.g. sudo apt remove golang) before using gvm. And when installing with gvm use the -B option to avoid downloading and compiling from source.

For example on Ubuntu, after installing gvm:

sudo apt remove golang
gvm install go1.15 -B	# Binary only
gvm use go1.15 --default

Then in p2p-git-portal-poc:

git pull
yarn && yarn dev

If that gives an error try removing p2p-git-portal-poc/node_modules and then repeat the above.

3 Likes

Works for me :+1: Looks like you have someone who knows what they’re doing design-wise in the shape of Tyler. Which is good. Let us know if anything else needs testing out.

6 Likes

Looks good here too

Thanks Mark :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Will provide more of a progress update soon but just to note:

• I’m working on git-bug with much help from its author (good progress)
  • I’ve added a matrix/Element chat room #gitportal:matrix.org
8 Likes

Looks like the birth of a decentralized github :smiley: . Currently from the 1990’s UI wise, but pretty web UI design can come later, functionality is key though! Great work.

5 Likes

Yes we can skin it up later.

This phrase works on many levels but only if the essential ingredients are present.

6 Likes

Progress Update

Much to my amazement the concept is just about proven. I really didn’t expect this to go smoothly, but with help in a few areas it has been incredibly smooth.

Given this was only hatched as an idea mid October, I’m very pleased. That’s under two months! :partying_face:

p2p git portal abilities

• clone repository
  • new repository
  • display commits
  • add/display issues (no UI for adding yet)

Help! I’m still looking for help with the Svelte UI/UX and with back-end style tasks in Golang (both are easy to learn and fun to use). This is a rare opportunity to learn (with my help) while building something useful that you believe in. I’ve not broken these down but there’s a summary on github in Activity & Opportunities to Help

It is mainly a test harness just now, but demonstrates that the essentials of a github like git code collaboration portal can be implemented without server side code using Golang/Wasm libraries I have found (with minimal tweaks so far).

Try It Out

The curious can try the above features here (be aware it doesn’t show progress and cloning a repo can take a while): http://gitch.happybeing.com (If you want to clone you need to set up a proxy as described here or use a browser plugin to disable CORS checks in the browser).

Note: upload is not yet integrated, so forget for now.

It’s Not Over Yet

There are many features not implemented, but I’ve shown that they should be possible, though there are limitations to the approach.

The main difficulty is the size of the bundle with a 12MB Go runtime, the current demo is 16MB which is a lot for a web app. There might be ways around this, and it does make it questionable whether to continue working with Go until that is solved, but we know where we stand and to be honest it might be worth the first visit load time. It’s also going to be possible to bundle this into a desktop app using Tauri, so that’s also an option.

20 Likes

And this is all thanks to crdt-tree yes? Amazing progress! Hope you can find help with UI. Hope there’s someone that could step forward around here for you.

3 Likes

It isn’t using the CRDT-tree or any Safe libraries yet but it’s built with using that in mind. It could work without it and storing to Safe using a different API but I’m hopeful they will work well together.

5 Likes

Have not tried it myself yet.

But brilliant work.

Thank you. This is something that many will use. A killer app!

5 Likes

Did you not hear back from Tyler, the guy who said he’d help?

1 Like

Yes, he helped a bit but has too much on at the moment. It’s a shame as he seemed capable and I think would have been fun to work with.

1 Like

That’s a shame - the people that can do the clever stuff never have the time

3 Likes

Re-posting the following (updated) request for help. I’ve updated the README which would be good for folks to share with individuals or communities where help might be found (see link below).

Help! I’m still looking for help with the Svelte UI/UX and with back-end style tasks in Golang (both are easy to learn and fun to use). This is a rare opportunity to learn (with my help) while building something useful that you believe in. I’ve not broken these down but there’s a summary on github in Activity & Opportunities to Help

10 Likes