SafeCoin sent to Coinbase

I pulled a stupid move and just purchased some MAID via Shapeshift and inadvertently had the return address go back to my Coinbase account. I know since I don’t have a private key, I may be SOL with these coins, but just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar situation or if it is possible to transfer the coins into my Coinbase vault and then into a paperwallet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Tricky

I would advice you to contact Coinbase and tell them your story, because they hold the privatekeys to your wallet.

2 Likes

I didn’t know shapeshift had MaidSafeCoin support! You may be SOL, but I hope your’re not. I never use coinbase except to buy bitcoin because you shouldn’t trust someone else to handle your private keys… that’s what we learned from MtGox.

Contacting them is all you can do, I know how it feels, right now you are completely at their mercy. Hopefully they can send them to your correct wallet.

1 Like

Yeah, I have several paper wallets, I just got Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V happy when processing the trade…lol!

Good luck, hope you get a answer ASAP from Coinbase. @mvanzyl I have to take back what I said about generating a Paperwallet on their site. It’s really dangerous to generate a wallet online NEVER DO IT. You can generate a paperwallet by downloading bitaddress.org and disconnecting from the internet. ALWAYS DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET COMPLETELY, cable out ethernet port, wifi router out of the power outlet

3 Likes

I always hear this advice, and I’m sorry, but its (mostly) wrong. You SHOULD disconnect your computer from the internet to securely generate your private keys, but to ensure they STAY private, that computer should never be connected to the internet again. Ideally never have a thumb drive that goes between that computer and a live one either.

Here’s why:
When you generate your private keys, they are - at least for a short time - in memory. This means they can be logged. If that computer is ever connected to the internet they can be sent back out to the attacker. Simply disconnecting while generating the keys, then reconnecting is absolutely no better off that generating them while connected.

You should however - if you don’t have a spare computer - generate them locally regardless rather than having a service do it for you.

4 Likes

I would agree. Use the offline version to make cold private key with tails (disconnected) or maybe other live linux and then shut down afterwards.

I use the public address to track the various cold wallets. Shapeshift.io has been awesome. I have used it to buy MAID several times and there price has been better than the two markets each time.

2 Likes

Wow, all this time I never knew this was the case, but I usually download bitaddress.org directly to a usb, shut down my computer and generate the privatekeys on a live linux.

I use to keep my live linux on and surf as long as possible.

Thanks for the tip guys @wes, @MrAnderson

When I generated my private keys I did it on a freshly installed Linux USB, with the internet disconnected. Since then neither the USB drive holding my new private keys nor the Linux install have been plugged into a machine. I suppose they could only have been leaked if there was a malware inside the firmware of the machine I used, specifically tailored to steal Bitcoin private keys.

Sadly I don’t have a spare computer I can simply destroy afterwards for this purpose. Though with today’s 9$ computers, that is actually an option… Hmm…

1 Like

If you use a live cd, you can still use that computer, just make your keys, store them somewhere safe, and reboot (back to clean slate).

I wasn’t clear about that, sorry. Just because you made private keys doesn’t mean that whole computer hardware is useless now, but the os is.I

OK, so this paper must be kept safely and should not be scanned ?

That is correct. Mine are sitting in my safe.

Everything is relative to value though. If it’s $5 worth, you need to secure it like a $5 bill. Sure, scan it. If it’s a key with $100,000, secure it like you would an irreplaceable bank note.