Safecoin Logo License

I’ve just been getting round to looking at the best license to use for the safecoin logo. I would personally prefer an open content license that enables free access, use and modification. It seems that Creative Commons are most widely used and most understood. There are a couple of good resources that help to pick through the options, the main creative commons website provides a guide and the Australian branch of the same organisation has produced a flow chart.

The most permissive (which I like) is the Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International that ensures all adaptations of the the artwork must be provided under the same license, enables a remix of any part of the design (even commercially). It would be good to hear what you guys think?

9 Likes

The CC BY-SA 4.0 license seems like a good choice to me.

Although I’m no expert on content licenses, it seems like that license would have the widest recognition and compatibility—and is similar in spirit to the GPLv3, as chosen for the software side of MaidSafe.

Wikipedia seems to still be using CC BY-SA 3.0, so I’m not sure if that’s because 4.0 is still relatively new, and they haven’t had time to migrate to it yet—or if there are perhaps any perceived disadvantages to 4.0. I’d be curious to know the opinions of anyone else here with more knowledge and understanding of the matter.

1 Like

Sounds like a 180 degree flip from your previous stance on establishing brand recognition.

Not at all @chrisfostertv. As I was saying previously, I would like this community to always present a consistent brand identity to the community, but I can’t control that and any attempt to try and do so would be futile. This license reflects that stance.

2 Likes

“IMO it would be a mistake to have continual changes to the logo over a short period and I think the way that pretty much all world class organisations manage this process confirms this. I personally can’t think of any that make continual and significant changes over a short period of time. The design component of brand awareness is built on familiarity and consistency. So gradual changes over a long period of time work better”

I must have completely misinterpreted this comment…oh well no biggie.

That’s okay @chrisfostertv. My opinion here hasn’t changed and this consolidated and consistent approach is the way I would like us to move forward, but there is no sense in trying to control this through the license. For example, would we try and sue people adapting the safecoin logo without permission. This would seem to me like a significant and fruitless task.

3 Likes

Good things happen when there is freedom to evolve.

3 Likes

This is a really neat way to license some work that is to be facing the public. It’s like $

The main utility for such a move would be to make an example almost a standard - of what the SAFEcoin logo could stem from.

2 Likes

3 Likes

@optictopic

I like the fact that it almost looks like a cube. The lack of box edges breaks what my mind is trying to see. I’m wondering if it would look better with the box edges?

Another idea, just for fun. Can you animate the ants going through the tunnel? Like a simple GIF image? That would be neat too.

@firstflyover

You offered to help with a photoshop project. If you’re still interested, can you make a transformer like GIF animation from our official logo?

Example would be shards spread out randomly. This represents the decentralization of the Network. Then all the shards are pulled together, forming a cube object, and finally solidifies into the Safecoin logo. This represents how data chunks are assembled into a file. It’s all made possible with Safecoin.

This is just a suggestion. You can do whatever artistic interpretation you wish. As long as it catches the viewers attention through motion.

1 Like

Speaking of licenses: This is the Mastering Bitcoin Github book by Andreas Antonopoulos.

It’s final edit is December 2014;

though the licensing is interesting"

Using Code Examples

This book is here to help you get your job done. In general, if
example code is offered with this book, you may use it in your programs
and documentation. You do not need to contact us for permission unless
you’re reproducing a significant portion of the code. For example,
writing a program that uses several chunks of code from this book does
not require permission. Selling or distributing a CD-ROM of examples
from O’Reilly books does require permission. Answering a question by
citing this book and quoting example code does not require permission.
Incorporating a significant amount of example code from this book into
your product’s documentation does require permission.

2 Likes

Animating the ants in a gif is a fun idea. If anyone is interested in the PSD file with multiple layers to make animation simple let me know and I forward it to you.

2 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/0ARvWHO.gif Not sure who to attribute this to, but it would look great in the Maidsafe blue color and ants instead of a ball.

1 Like

7 Likes

Yes that would be good to see, nice find.

1 Like

That would look well good!!

1 Like