Safecoin Farming 101

Great job working out a visual analogy. I think this will be very helpful when people ask about Farming and Safecoin. Here’s some suggestions/corrections for your consideration.

Farmers “provide” resources rather than “donating” it. They are responsible for maintaining the farm operations (storage capacity, bandwith, pc computation, etc).

MaidSafe does not own the Network, although they are building the API that enables it. I prefer to distinguish between “The SAFE Network” and the MaidSafe API, or MaidSafe client, which is what users install and connect to the SAFE Network.

All seeds are “copied” at least 4 times to ensure redundancy, data integrity. Basically when a 1MB chunk is PUT, the SAFE Network makes 4 encrypted copies and then plants them in farms (vaults).

While I like the seed analogy, you could also try a fruit tree image. GET requests are like users watering the tree. The more water it GETS, the more likely it will bear fruit… which is Safecoin. Watering doesn’t automatically generate Safecoin, but it does increase the chances.

Yes,
In addition, the SAFE Network limits the amount Safecoin (fruit) that can be grown by available farm space that exists on the Network, leading up to a cap of 4.3 Billion Safecoins. In other words, the total supply of Safecoin grows in a similar pace to Network growth. Bigger Network, means more Safecoin become available… up until 4.3 Billion are created.

I look forward to seeing your video!

4 Likes