Safecoin contest - PICK YOUR WINNER!

Not bad at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

awesome, it’s a real beauty! :smile:

will this logo already be used for maidsafecoin or only after the transition
to safecoin?

my preference would be to use it right away!

1 Like

cubecoin wins

1 Like

I voted for the winner. Agree with sentiments that none were standout for me either. I quite liked a couple of the others, but wasn’t happy those really fitted with the purpose, so I went for the one I felt balanced both the feel and the function.

I quite liked 852 & 759 except for the shield motif, which feels too law enforcement etc, so I eliminated them first.

Designers I liked: 722 best, and 212 quite a lot, but didn’t feel they suited Safecoin.

I didn’t get “the dolphins”, it intrigued and confused!

I voted for that one…a clear technical winner. The designer made the mistake of not offering a version enclosed in a circle with a neutral background so you could clearly see the S

The cube/hexagram XX is so overused in the tech and occult worlds…disappointing to end up with yet another one.

The winner was actually my 2nd choice. I can live with that. :smile:

1 Like

The pros (in my opinion)

Its got a Necker cube quality, nice not easy to achieve in simple logo motif without vertigo. A little bit of the Mobius strip in an Escher kind of way where the diagonal breaks the Necker effect.

Its conveys orthogonality or modularity

It looks like circuitry which implies tech and also labyrinthine which implies crypto.

A little bit of coin like tangibility with the circumference.

Also achieves a little of the “C” of the Euro and not just he “S” of the dollar on each side and more of it if the open ringlets that form the “S” are taken as two “Cs,” but in larger apperceptive S theme prioritizes S over C which was important

Very nice use of color, which seems in the actual token part to show money circumscribed or limited by safety.

The dark light of the “S” pieces implies some yin and yang and dynamism and the linearity or rule based presentation or logic of the token is complemented by the soft lines and color dynamism of the safe coin lettering.

All conservatively colored using shading to get at the dynamism but sticking to the same color them. Will look good against a myriad of backgrounds.

I also like how it transitions from light to dark vertical implying stability with the darker color corresponding to the safe “C” or groundedness.

Aspects to possibly Soften:

Some of are uncomfortable with lug nut cues i.e., hexgram or pentagon, octogon or prism or tool to be manipulated implication.

Some how square or cuboid on the level (I know still a bit illuminist or Masonic- but the Mobioid Safe logo is definitely that) seems more acceptable and viewed through the Necker switch the polygonal ambitions are reduced to squarish or cuboid which is good. Its a dynamism.

S has to be disambiguated from Suzuki logo and a straight S has SS themes. I think with regard to the Suzuki symbol that is achieved to an extent with the apperceptive approach to the “S”

Token can be like RFID tag or tracker is it possible to soften the corners? I softened the corners slightly in the paint manipulation below. Could do the interior angles too but it might start to lose the smart Necker effect or the same designer might be able to work it to eliminate all hexagram objections. From a visual standpoint I prefer the look of the unsoftened one above but I am not a designer and if amicable it would be interesting to see what the designer could with softening. So much of this is driven by unconscious association so its good to try to limit the obvious negative side to that if it doesn’t damage the visual aspect too much. Means a logo will age better too.

7 Likes

@Warren the softened edges make a huge difference to me! I actually like it a lot better! Very nice

5 Likes

Yeah I can see the fluffy dice that folk used to dangle from their rear view mirror making a come back…a pair of fluffy SAFEcubes bouncing around in the car. Chicks would really dig it…could be the edge I’m looking for :wink:

2 Likes

Well now that you’ve decided on something. I think I’ll play with it a bit. :slight_smile:

Yeah maybe keep it to yourself, it was confirmed that the official logo is not to be altered.

Thought there was a refinement phase ahead?

Dont think so…

@shona said:

The finalists now have 3 days to make revisions, after which we will run a poll on this forum so you can all have your say and be part of choosing the next safecoin logo!!!

@nicklambert said:

IMO it would be a mistake to have continual changes to the logo over a short period and I think the way that pretty much all world class organisations manage this process confirms this. I personally can’t think of any that make continual and significant changes over a short period of time. The design component of brand awareness is built on familiarity and consistency. So gradual changes over a long period of time work better.

I don’t think there are restrictions from using other logo designs for app projects . There are a ready made pool of designs there for folks to draw on…not sure how you would go about contacting the designers or securing usage.

It would be a shame to see the dolphin S design go un-utilized…would look good enclosed in a circle.

1 Like

Well it is at least something they can work with over the longer term if they feel the need. The hex standing on its point like that suggests a honeycomb or swarm. I forgot it also an organic shape. Hopefully they are not averse to considering any adjustments that might occur to the designer prior to launch. Its grown on me quite a bit since winning. I wasn’t seeing a lot of its potential until it was picked and I see it hits the themes I wanted. I also liked the dophins but thought they might also be magic lamps or conjure that association too.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed this but even after bitcoin released their logo, or any company for that matter, a lot of artists modified it. Bitcoin, litecoin,dogecoin, microsoft, apple, linux, why do you think safecoin is special and immune to artistic interpretation and expression? If you like what I post great. If you don’t whatever.

2 Likes

Because I would have an expectation that people in this community, would respect what nick has stated in regard to the official logo.

1 Like

I think if there are designs the community would like to use for their own app projects just let me know and I will contact the site and try and get you connected, I’m sure 99 Designs has come across this before.

I think it’s good fun for people to play about with the design and post their interpretations here for discussion if they choose to do so. However, what I believe that we should present to the world is a consistent identity using the design that has been selected.

I’ll be looking at license for the new design this week, and will post my thoughts on the earlier thread that discussed it. One of the creative commons licenses look like a good starting point.

5 Likes

I was walking home from work a few nights ago, and noticed a bank along my way. It used a logo I thought was somewhat reminiscent of the chosen Safecoin logo. I’m not very well-versed in trademark laws, so I wasn’t sure if something like this could have any possibility of posing a legal issue (especially since the logos could be argued to represent related fields). Does anyone know if this degree of resemblance merits any legal consideration? This is the logo:

We would typically try and trademark the word: ‘safecoin’ for example, as this gives you much broader coverage. Attempting to trademark a logo gives you very narrow but strong protection. Looking at what you have posted above I think it is different enough that I wouldn’t anticipate it presenting a major problem. I am trying to trademark safecoin the word, but think this will cause us some issues as there is an already competing EU mark.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that the logo shouldn’t pose any legal issues.

As for the word “Safecoin” itself (and the other names used in Project SAFE), I hope that relatively trivial things like trademark issues won’t cause any significant problems for MaidSafe.

3 Likes