We’ve had discussions related to preferential (discounted) pricing for public data and Project members said that hasn’t been decided yet. There have been persistent calls (before and now in another active topic) for freebies (free space, limited or unlimited) which could be done fairly easily, but would have a significant impact on the economics of the network.
- the coin part is far from being completed (frankly, it sounds like work on that part hasn’t even started),
- beta may happen in December 2015 or later,
- there’s a lot of support for “freebies”, and even those who don’t support freebies have said the coin is not essential for what SAFE network does
I am beginning to wonder about the likelihood of v1.0 being released without Safecoin.
- Can the network function without a coin? Yes
- Would this get support from the redistributionists because it would help the adoption of the network? Yes
- Would this get support from the app vendors? Probably yes
- Would this make it possible to release some 8-12 weeks earlier than otherwise? Yes
- Would this make SAFE Network offer same or better features than simpler projects that already can be used (Maelstrom, Zeronet, etc.)? Yes
Which leaves the farmers, who according to some aren’t that financially focused, and
MAID holders, who could still get their
SAFE coins, it’s just that there may not be that much use (and demand) for it initially, until the economics is sorted out (say, in v1.1).
I’m not arguing for SAFE v1.0 with or without
SAFE coin (“without” also means with SAFE coin which can be spent only on apps, since storage space would be free) - I’m just summarizing existing arguments and circumstances and pointing out that if farmers aren’t paid, there’s no point of delaying v1.0 in order to finalize and fine tune the coin module.
I don’t know if there is really such a choice, but if offered March 2016 without the coin or June 2016 with the coin, I’d pick the former.