SAFE URL: "safe://" cross browser support revisited!

Yes, and it is also the most commonly cited complaint. People in general WANT to use their normal browser.

I think people want what is familiar and most of all easy.

If there was a SAFE browser that had a better interface than existing ones and a simple ON/OFF selection for clearweb access it wouldn’t really be that big of an issue. The old “People don’t know what they want until you show it to them” quote comes to mind…

2 Likes

I can also see a third, while similar to #2 but allows users to whitelist (or select each time) URLs or domains. This allows a “mixed mode” operation but still deny the advertises/tracking addresses since one would have to allow them.

This is a very locked down access to the old-internet, but allows a number of situations where “that access to a website is ever so useful”. Could even be your company’s site/data, or the site you buy stuff from a lot. So allows access to the website, but 3rd party tracking/advertising is automatically blocked unless you add that scumsite to the list of allowed.

This is ever so true and if you cut off the old internet immediately then they are less likely to use your new browser.

3 Likes

I don’t have any views on what a new browser will do with regard to clearnet. However, I think it is essential that a safe browser exists - it’s important to provide a user with a consistent and uniformly branded application suite and it gives the SAFE brand a good image and more control. This is what all the big techs have and IMO there is a parallel to be had with them at the start. To a lesser degree there is the need for a SAFE app store, but understandably that is much harder to achieve and won’t be realistic on most current platforms.

You may think many things, but i was telling you what the actual user reaction to openbazaar is. Their browser is simple and elegant, works well etc. so the issue is that people want to use what they have always been using. This can be confirmed by the amount of people who keep using windows even after the forced upgrade has broken their setup and they choose to buy new hardware that is win10 compatible instead of switching to an OS that does not abuse them.

I can see the demand for a safe browser, but at least in the beginning it WILL be an uphill battle to get the average person to even install a safe browser. So the efforts should go towards making standard browser experience superb.

edit: another example is apple and how they “update” their old phones to start lagging to encourage buying a new one. They know the drones will do that instead of ditching the toxic ecosystem.

3 Likes