SAFE Pod SF - SafeCoin - The SAFE Ecosystem

The video is pretty clear on content rewards: not automatic (as I had thought) but suggested tip, which given the audience comment which I agreed with, seems pointless and probably needs to be something users can at least turn off! I think we need a better method of rewarding content. I thought auto rewarding was a groundbreaking and very attractive feature. Maybe they ditched it because it wasn’t practical? @dirvine, can you comment on this: has there been a change, why, what do you think about the audience comment: that studies show people don’t like tipping, it is work deciding whether to tip so people tire of it, other models are being tried - he mentioned subscription. Maybe needs research.

App rewards are still seemingly dealt out by the network, though the mechanism hasn’t been spelled out anywhere that I know of. Just that it will take account of app value or popularity, or something like that, perhaps based on reputation, or (I speculate), the amount of revenue the app generates for the network through GET requests. I see the last as good, but hard to make work because it creates an incentive for apps to impose unnecessary costs on users.

1 Like

@ioptio @dallyshalla

I watched the video last night and enjoyed it very much. I’m still learning too which is great!

It was a very interested and intelligent audience, and some very enthusiastic about SAFE. Was that Jason in the front row? They threw some challenging questions at you, so well done for handling those, and thanks for standing up at the front to show what SAFE can do. I’ve yet to be brave enough myself, but am learning a lot from what you guys are doing.

I understand you handed out MaidSafeCoin too? The video cut that off so I’m not certain. Very nice touch. What was the reaction? Did they know in advance?

Well done all of you!

2 Likes

Ok, we are on the same page. I understand that content rewards is only a suggestion because the network can’t assume the uploader is the creator. It lets the burden of deciding if the uploader is worth receiving monetary compensation to the user, which I completely agree with. Doing it automatically would just incentive people to upload others work and get rewarded from it. It also allows a user to decide to not give anything if he doesn’t like the content. Also, automatically paying for content is a PR nightmare waiting to happen, something to keep in mind if we want mass adoption.

About people not tipping, I think we cannot use the current state of tipping with what is going to be happening on the safe network. The reason is that on the safe network, you aren’t tipping with your pay check, you don’t need to transfer money into an account and tip with it. On the safe network you now have a completely new source of income, your vault, it’s basically a money printing machine. Some people will change it back into fiat to pay for “normal” stuff but I think most people will use it inside the network and will be much less hesitant to pay with it. I think it’s gonna feel like an ingame currency in a MMO, play money basically.

App reward is another topic but I still feel the same. I don’t think the network should try to figure out what is useful for the user and give an automatic reward. The network should only reward what is useful to itself(farming) and let users decide what’s useful to them. Let the user do the moral choice of supporting another person, don’t give away that responsibility to an algorithm. Anyway it’s probably too late now to change course, too bad I found this amazing project just now.

1 Like

Well done San Francisco, really well done, love the informality and depth of the discussion, super cool. Makes me proud to be part of the project :slight_smile:

@ioptio @dallyshalla and the rest really get this and us core devs really need to buy you a massive massive beer for all the work and support. I am even more relaxed about the recent finds in the persona types as e will be able to really push through work now and everyone will easily see what we do.

Now when we get testnet3 up I will happily travel around the pods and teach core dev to them all. Time to distribute that now as we can and must.

In terms of the big questions, we don’t care if somebody supplies millions of vaults, as long as they behave. To get all 4 copies is a sybil type attack to needs a population over 75% of the network, so they win, but they better be huge :slight_smile:

10% for app devs, well the figure can be argued for ever, but important I think the first time ever you can write your own app (hopefully a free app, but my personal opinion) , launch it with no cost and get paid. No infrastructure costs and no need to create a company at all. If your app is valuable then you get rich if not then you don’t.

So it’s not only 10% it’s 10% of the network ‘revenue’ (like google paying out 10% of its profits to devs who use appengine, but providing appengine for free regardless of size).

Now these companies charge you for everything and you need to pass that cost on (so less customers or huge backers required) and pay for appengine/aws etc. The SAFE model is a complete 180 degree shift, so hard to see for many. “Here is the worlds largest storage and compute infrastructure (please let it happen)” free, Oh and here is some cash and oh you do not even need to register with us, just use it.

That’s a free (well closer to) market where the poorest can compete with the wealthiest for provision of value and do so pretty well. Still not there though as the poorest still need to work harder to survive outwith this, but it’s a huge step in the right direction.

8 Likes

@dirvine I can definitely get behind the intend, giving back value for things we find valuable, what concern me is its implementation. But before going too deep into this, can you confirm that the App Incentive Reward system is based on GET request produced by an app which the author of the app attach a personnal adress to it? Is there any other layer to the system or is that it?

Yes :slight_smile:

Not sure what this means, the paying of content creators is a real wish and I believe something we can get to, not enforce, but provide the watermarking if you like.

I like this idea and want to improve this concept for future versions of the SAFE Network. 10% for app devs sounds similar to Royalties paid to book authors.

The following may sound like a criticism but I’m really trying to help make this a viable model and explain how it could work for everyone.

Royalties are based on a percentage of “profit” a publisher makes from book sales. This model is not glamorous. Most book authors don’t make enough income, unless they are a best seller. The content creator gets leftovers from the content distributor. This happens all throughout the entertainment industry.

If (Publisher = SAFE Network) and (Author = App Dev) then… where does the 10% reward come from?

Is it subsidized by the Network as coins are minted?
Is 10% taken from PUT revenue?

As @DavidMtl said, implementation has us stumped. I think most of us agree with the intent. Until we can see it in action, it’s very hard to conceive right now.

Fair warning, this is a controversial subject. I expect to get heat on this one, but it’s relevant to this thread.

IMO, digital property naturally goes to zero. Not because people don’t find it useful, but because it is so easily duplicated. I’m following the IP (Intelectual Property) debates, and I can see both sides. The content creator spends hours, energy, ideas, trying to make something valuable, but they are ultimately handicapped once their creation is duplicated. It benefits society, no doubt. At the same time, it also hurts their earning potential, long term.

I really like the idea of the SAFE Network rewarding App Devs, but I think people who want them to succeed should have power to support them. So I’m 100% in favor of watermarking with optional tipping. I also suggested an infinite crowd funding model for @Seneca. Maybe it could be something the App Devs could implement?

1 Like

That’s right. But where’s the money coming from? It’s just that Farmers earn 10% less. So if the number was set to 25% it shouldn’t be much of a problem. It’s just that the intrinsic value of a Safecoin would be higher. Probably not 25% because not all data requested on the network is provided by Apps/Websites/Data from builders. And don’t forget the caching :slight_smile: So if 50% of data on the network is “farmed” the intrinsic value/cost for a Safecoin would go up 12,5% if Builders would get 25%. Not that big of a deal I think.

We handed each participants with maidsafecoins. They were happy and excited. Certainly people are interested in the concept and vision maidsafe has to bring.

5 Likes

Well done @culexevilman I missed your name earlier, much gratitude and thanks, now another beer on my increasing list of debt :slight_smile: I will pay this off as soon as possible :wink:

3 Likes

I am honored to work alongside people with integrity and trust. Thanks again a lot to David and the team, you guys are truly amazing and doing the hard parts really.:slight_smile:

5 Likes

So this took me all day to write, sorry for all mistakes, English ain’t my first language and I won’t pretend I would make less mistakes in my native one :smile:. I could have created a new thread but it seems relevant to what as been discussed in the video so here it is.

Here’s what I think about the App Incentive model, like I said before I appreciate the intent but I think the implementation is flawed. I hope you folks don’t mind that I take a stab at it, I just want to raise my concern and see how they can be addressed.

Little disclaimer: I discovered this project very recently and even though I read quite a bit of posts and watched a bunch of videos, these following points might have been already discussed and addressed, I apologies in advance if I make you repeat yourself. You can just link to a forum post if you spot something that’s been covered, I’d love reading it.

With that said here’s what I see as the drawbacks of the current implementation:

GET Request per hour becomes THE thing
TL;DR: This will pigeon-hole developer into making GET heavy apps.

While the goal is to bring an income to app developers who create useful app, what will happen in reality is that only app that generates a lot of GET request will really profit from this. And this is a problem because if your app doesn’t require a lot of them it doesn’t mean your app isn’t useful or popular, it just means it offers different feature that don’t requires it. And when you think about it, it’s actually a good news for the network because this kind of app help increase the perceived value of the network without adding much load to it.

So it puts the developer in a dilemna: figure out a way to increases his GET request to please the network or find another mean to get value for his app, which means he is back to square one. Over time, I think generating more GET request will become the name of the game. Devs trying to get the most out of their app will try first and foremost to think of ways to increase it even if it doesn’t make much sense for their app. In the end, I think this will alienate devs who refuse to change their app to follow the trend, divert the intent of those who decides to follow it and creates an unnecessary load on the network that would not be there without it.

Rewarding the middle man instead of the content creator
TL;DR: This will incentive people to develop app that aggregate other’s content and reap the reward of their work

Since generating GET request becomes the name of the game, having a lot of stuff to get becomes a viable strategy. So you’ll see whole catalogs of other people’s work available. SAFE Library with all possible book you can think of. SAFE Theatre with all movies. SAFE Warez for apps and games. Of course you need to pay to put the data in but once it’s there you can reap the reward forever. Should these aggregator get paid for their trouble? Maybe, maybe not, it’s a moral question and I would rather see the user make the moral choice than the network.

How to game the system
TL;DR: Create an app that auto-gets all files you put in and send the safecoin from the get request back to you

People will naturally have a bunch of file on the network, photos, videos, app data, etc. If you run an app that request all those file and watermark the get request with your own address you’ll get the reward for having requested your “already there” files. The amount of safecoins will probably be very small but it’s “free” money and over the long haul it adds up. Once the files are all cached you just need to wait and run it some other time to get more safecoins.

Now what if this app becomes popular, after all, who doesn’t like a free lunch? The network gets flooded with GET request, caches gets recycled faster which allow people to use the app even more often because their files doesn’t remain in the cache as long as before. The more people use the app the more safecoin people will be able to generate from it, now that’s quite an incentive to share this kind of app.

In this scenario, the poor dev building a very popular calendar will have a hard time trying to get its share of the safecoins generated for developer.

Now of course there is the bandwidth to consider, but people just have to use the “auto-getter” app when they have the bandwidth available to do so.

Is this scenario possible? I don’t know, I think it would to a certain extend, but I only had a day to think about it. Now consider what the world would come up with when the network becomes mainstream. Legit dev will be fighting a losing battle against people gaming the system, and they will be back to square one, find another way to generate a revenue.

The PR nightmare
TL;DR: The network paying off morally wrong activity is harder to defend than if a user makes the decision to support them.

The SAFE network can be joined by anyone on the planet in a anonymous way, so we are going to get the whole package, bullying, vandalism, cannibalism, terrorism and everything in between and beyond. These people or communities might, and some will most likely, create an app to showcase their “work”. People consume the content for different reason, voyeurism, morbid curiosity, boredom, etc. The network reward the author of the content. Next morning on the news you can read: “Making a living out of raping baby koalas? Now it’s possible with the SAFE Network!”.

This will happen whether or not the network automatically reward content but it makes us all complicit if it’s the network that does it because we are the one running the machines. If the burden to support these behaviour is only on the shoulder of the users then they are the only one making the decision and they are making it only for themselves. The network should not speak for us. In other words, It’s a “vote with your wallet” kind of thing.

We don’t need it
TL;DR: We’ll pay.

Last but not least. With the SAFE network you succeed on achieving a lot of things. A completely private, anonymous, decentralized ecosystem with a global currency that anyone can produce and use with a single click. That is huge. And it’s gonna get crazy huge. People will get on board, a huge ass mass of people, developer will program the hell out of it, no incentive needed there.

People are already paying for a lot of things on the internet. Kids on Twitch makes a living out of donation playing online games. Gamers spend a massive amount of money on free-to-play games. Itunes sells tons of music, netflix’s got a huge subscribe base and even produce its own content. Card games gets millions out of crowd funding. Open value networks and all sorts of cooperative model. Adverstising, I know, I know. The point is, there’s so many different model to get value out of a product or get the funds to get things done that the network doesn’t need to try to find a way to do it. With a frictionless currency that we can produce, we’ll pay, I’ve got no worries there, the safecoin economy will be thriving.

Closing words
TL;DR: Do it anyway.

With all the negativity, you probably didn’t expect this one. I do think the moral responsibility of supporting any content should be exclusively on the shoulder of the users. I also think creating a robust “proof of usefulness” system requires more consideration than simply adding a safecoin address to a GET request. But do it anyway. Who knows right? Worth giving it a shot and this is what a beta is for. Just get that kill switch nearby in case everything goes kaboom and you need to kill the beast.

Alright it’s getting late and I’ve spent enough time on this, if you read it all, fist bump to you. I wish you all a good night.

6 Likes

@DavidMtl

I hope you folks don’t mind that I take a stab at it, I just want to raise my concern and see how they can be addressed.

This is what the forum is for! Welcome to the scrum! (Rugby reference intentional :-))

App Rewards

I don’t think App rewards has been detailed or debated much, and I’ve also asked for clarification on this, but think the team are too busy right now. Come testnet3 we can get more into it I hope, but nothing to stop the community coming up with our own ideas.

I share your concerns about what is imagined for App rewards at this point, but without detail is not clear if they are valid.

If a discussion grows, i think this will deserve a new topic.

Storage Fees

I’ve also been revisiting the other aspects of the economic model spurred by the Safecoin white paper and this video, so I’d like to wake that discussion up again for testnet3. You getting your head around this issue is great because we need as many informed heads as possible.

3 Likes

Thanks @happybeing, I’m looking forward to the debate around this.

1 Like

If the application doesn’t get rewarded for GETs on cached content, the correlation isn’t so linear. (Similar set up for proof of resource distribution)

Aggregating other users content is valuable! The problem comes from dependency on that middle man. I don’t envision just one application per category. The ease of app creation on the network should generate a healthy market (aka moral choice is on the user).

Hopefully it’ll just be easier to set up a couple of farming vaults?

We’ll be ready for this. It will certainly take a shift in perspective to overcome for some folks, but you gotta start somewhere!

The network isn’t restrictive in it’s content payments. The network based tipping solution is voluntary. There will be 3rd party services offering a variety of options for compensating creators.

Hm… a kill switch sounds mighty centralized. Forking sounds like a better option.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply @ioptio. I don’t know how to properly quote a quote so I hope my formatting isn’t too hard to follow.

This will pigeon-hole developer into making GET heavy apps.

Maybe not, but caches get recycled over time, and increasing your app GET request remains the best strategy to get the most income out of your app.

This will incentive people to develop app that aggregate other’s content and reap the reward of their work

I agree it is but it changes the intention from bringing value to others to extracting value from the network, it incentives a profit oriented mindset instead of an altruist one. Also, most users won’t know anything about it because it’s done behind the scene, they will just flock to the biggest aggregator following the path of least resistance.

EDIT: Also, it sets back content creators in a worst position than they are now. They will have to fight against the resources of a few wealthy aggregator to get any return from their work. This system empowers the middle men instead of the content creator. Achieving the opposite of what it’s trying to do.

Create an app that auto-gets all files you put in and send the safecoin from the get request back to you

Why not do both, are they mutually exclusive?

The network paying off morally wrong activity is harder to defend than if a user makes the decision to support them.

A gang beats up a kid, post a video wrapping it in an app, it goes viral, they receive a hefty sum of cash from the network. Is a shift in perspective to make this ok really in the best interest of everyone and something to look forward to? I don’t think I can make this shift. Let the user do the moral choice of doing it. Honestly, all other points might be weak but this one is a real concern.

We’ll pay.

That’s my point, money will flow, there’s no need to force it.

Kill switch

I was referring to the beta, you probably will have a mechanism to update all vaults with patches.

Thanks for the reply @ioptio, as you can see, I’m quite excited about this project, it’s just this features that I, for some reason really dislike. Anyway keep up the good work.

1 Like

In my first post I said to try it anyway but thinking more about it I changed my mind. The reason is that it’s easier to add something if we need it than to remove it if we don’t like it.

So how about letting the network run for a while without it and see how things fall into place? Who knows right. But I bet there’s gonna so many different ways to pay with safecoin that it will become obvious any automated reward system is not needed.

Again, my 2 cents. Thanks for reading me.

2 Likes

@DavidMtl I agree with you in all the aspects you said in this thread.
It’s a big flaw bring an income to app developers for GET request. IMHO, I think is better to bring this reward for PUT operations, and subtract the 10% for the app developer from there. This way there’s no “Game the System”. Otherwise there will be a lot of botnets doing “auto-getter”.

5 Likes

Can you explain more about how you think this would work? PUT operations are only done once. So how does the system know which App was how popular? How do you decide which App gets money and which don’t? Are you gonna pay to some sort of Popcorn Time app from the PUT money? If not, who’s gonna decide?

@ioptio I don’t understand how caching mitigates app GET requests because the App doesn’t have to stick to any particular content to be rewarded.

Example, an app that crawls the network would hit lots of uncached data and be rewarded for doing nothing useful if rewards are simply tied to GETS.

I guess the mechanism is more complex than what I’ve read so far, but without details is not possible for us to handle people’s concerns.

3 Likes