SAFE Network TEST 9 + SAFE Mail Tutorial

Yeah I figured you would be able to get it to him another way :smile:

You know what, that is actually a rather cool use case already.

You didn’t need to confirm identity with a third party security authority (as with HTTPS), you didn’t need to agree encryption keys, you didn’t need to both be online, etc.

It is easy to forget just how much technology is in play here. Securely transmitting something this easily is actually a rather big deal. This pleases me! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We still need to close the loop, meaning privatekey getting a password so that the sender can’t spend the funds and the receiver getting that password in their email. Changing a bitcoins privatekeys password is free, so it would be like sending bitcoin for free. But the only thing your really doing is exchange privkeys + passwords.

It would be fun if we could also have hashcash, family and friends that you select can email you for FREE, the rest of the spammers can pay an amount in SAFEcoin that you specify.

We’re just getting started, what if your mail client could also indicate that you have received a brainwallet. For instance I put in the subject “I love listening to the SAFE crossroad @ work” and in your mail client you would just see an icon. If you could create brainwallet from within your mailclient etc, you can just go wild with ideas… but all that is for the future, maybe

2 Likes

Keybase.io offers a way to do this I think, although I haven’t used it for real yet - just poked around a bit (contact me by PM for an invite if you need one).

Also probably Demonsaw, but this needs a server to be set up and agreed upon as I understand it, and uses “social cryptography” for key exchange: easy for people who have private shared interactions already (e.g. a common photo from some social activity), but less so for us I would think. Whereas Keybase.io relies on confirming control of public online identities - such as an account on reddit/twitter/github etc.

SAFEnetwork can at some point incorporate things like this, based on clearnet account owndership where SAFE identities are as yet not confirmed as trusted.

1 Like

Thought I’d see if Testnet 9 is still running after a couple of weeks of not checking in. It is, but I’m getting a ‘proxy server is refusing connections’ now when I visit .safenet sites using Firefox whereas I don’t when I run the Alpha. Mysterious…

1 Like

Yes, lots of potential. Remember, there is no reason to use the email app at all for this either - what we have here is a message bus, which can have any sort of dedicated sending/receiving apps, each of which communicates via its dedicated bus.

I am thinking about creating a message queue app (after my current safe apps/libs in progress), which literally allows you to stuff anything in one end (with a recipient address), then pull it out of the other. No need to host the service, no need to create multiple nodes for redundancy or scalability, no need to worry about encryption or man-in-the-middle attacks, no need to worry about authentication… both ends just runs the safe launcher and a wee app to provide end points.

There are very real, commercial, use cases for this sort of thing (some of which I have written). In a new world of containerised microservices, message queues are becoming a fault tolerant way for the the various services to communicate. This could be just the ticket.

3 Likes

Ha-Ha! Got it.

Fortunately do remember my creds, @Krekc :relieved:

I think it may take me a bit to figure out how to use it.

One thing is that the tutorial email doesn’t let me copy the key, so I’m going to have to import it by hand.

Anyway, thanks @19eddyjohn75, and all others who encourage me, especially with money. :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe have SafeEditor disguise itself as the email app and read your emails & copy it from there

Well, the old hand input seemed to have worked fine. I imported into a wallet and then sent it to a new address.

Good idea though. I need to mess around with the SAFE Editor.

Pleasure, @19eddyjohn75, to be the first to receive such a transaction over the SAFE Network (at least that has been made public :sunglasses:).

3 Likes

@JPL Check in the launcher setting tab that proxy is enabled. I had a while before I found mine disabled, though still unsure how it changed.

Genius! Thanks! The launcher must have a poltergeist or something

Enjoy it while it lasts… something about Web proxy removed below. Beaker is perhaps the better option, I just wish there was a fix for the Rust API :bug: thread 'main' panicked at 'called `Option::unwrap()` on a `None` value' · Issue #2 · wrnice/rsafe · GitHub

1 Like

Just a wild guess… but, could they have found a way around the proxy that still allows standard browsers?

I don’t know how that would make any sense… the browser is inclined to interpret .safenet urls as clearweb domain; so, the proxy is needed to force those into the launcher instead. The alt would be a plugin perhaps… there might be a surprise but I expect the temptation is to prefer beaker and then enhance it with useful options. There is a liability of safe websites calling out to analytics that don’t help keep users privacy; so, I expect we should all prefer to use beaker. The only risk perhaps is that has one dev and is the only flavour, so might not suit everyone… I don’t know for example if beaker can work on mobiles… have to wait for the update to perhaps explain that above.

1 Like