SAFE Network - TEST 7

Thanks @Viv - are you aware these don’t feature in the Launcher API docs? As a Dev I’m reluctant to touch something that isn’t documented.

I’m holding back from playing with the new API for the same reason.

4 Likes

Unfortunately yep, and I know exactly what you mean Mark think @frabrunelle was looking into getting those updated with @Krishna_Kumar once these launcher updates were out. They’ve just been caught up with the actual app updates, but now that they’re nearly sorted, we should be getting the docs up to date soon for this.

5 Likes

This is my first time trying the SAFE Network and I’ve got to say everything’s worked flawlessly so far (I’ve only tried the latest binaries). To be honest it was a lot faster than I’d expected.

The only thing I’ve noticed when uploading files is that there are “hiccups”, I suppose that’s because of the chunking process.

I was able to upload at 1MB/s (which I think is probably maxing out my current WiFi connection). From that graph am I right to assume that the current block size is 1MB?

12 Likes

Welcome to the forum! New member but you already got some likes somewhere ;-).

Yes, max size (of a PUT) is 1 mb. I’ve seen the same hickups btw. Don’t know what’s causing it.

I guess the process is not parallelized, so the hiccups are most likely the encryption and other “overhead” processing that’s done on the block before uploading. This is something that’s not really relevant right now though (just an optimization) ;-).

3 Likes

Ive been busy with baby number 2 and have not run any tests for a while. Will have a play tonight (after switching to win 10, isn’t it interesting that whenever windows wants you to upgrade your machine everything slows down. …).

1 Like

I’m loving the updated launcher and demo app. Would still be cool to be able to upload multiple files at once and would simplify uploads. Great work again, I’m not having any issues at this point whatsoever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What program are you running to display your up and down load speed?

I was about to comment the same thing. The videos aren’t downloading.
The same for mine: lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.piluso.safenet/
Also, since TEST 6 the 63 chars DNS length limit was reduced to 62.

The downloading through the Demo App works fine, but somehow the downloading through the browser is broken.

So are we still storing unencrypted “public” data in vaults?

I bought DU Meter. Works fine.

All data is encrypted, but in the case of public data the keys are shared with everybody. So the chunks are encrypted when they’re stored in the vaults. But they will probably get another layer of obfuscation from the datamanagers.

1 Like

When trying to connect now I get this:

When running the vault I get this and after that it dissapears

It won’t even connect to the SAFE Network :cry:

1 Like

Working well until it got stuck uploading a new website. It has basically nothing on it, a couple of sentences but just sits there at 94% saying its uploading. (i can now join in the tests as I got a new laptop! Macbook air)

Would it be possible for the SAFE Launcher & Vault to always be turned on autimatically when it turns off? Mostly I just have it on, but when I go to work and I’m gone for like 10 hours, now and then it just turns off. Why It turns off I can 't really explain, but it would be nice to have it always turn on whenever it turns off.

Yeah I know it sound like a creepy request, but I don’t mind the SAFE Network being always on. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll try it on Linux, because windows 7 is really not working right now.

@pierce thanks

You can’t run your own Vaults. Vaults are runned by Maidsafe on droplets. We have to wait until they release new one for us all. But they want to test the front-end first.

5 Likes