SAFE Network - TEST 2 - Update (7th May 12:15 BST) Now complete

##Updated: 7th May 12:15 BST - Test 2 now complete.
Test 2 is now complete and the network is being brought down - big thank you to everyone who took part :sunglasses:.

Firstly, we would like to thank all those who took part in our previous test, your feedback was very useful and allowed us to take many measurements. This has led to several improvements as you can see below. These are very exciting days as we now can run networks, connect people from across the world and from their own homes. So a very important step, but one which must not be misunderstood or extended too much. This milestone is still a test and in the last 14 days we have made significant changes and improvements at quite an incredible pace. This test will help us ascertain that certain invariants are being held.

Again we must emphasise this is a test, we have not fully secured group consensus in this release as well as some network encryption. Data is encrypted, of course, but this test will not maintain anonymity.

###Do you want to run a Vault from your own computer?

Today we are releasing the next iteration of community test binaries: SAFE Vault, SAFE Launcher and the SAFE Demonstration Application; this is the next phase of the rolling test releases. Today, users of the SAFE Network will able to run a Vault locally on their own machine and join this iteration of the test network. So you will be contributing to the SAFE Network which the SAFE Launcher and the SAFE demonstration application will connect to.

So yet again it is time to set up your anonymous ID’s and test what we believe is the world’s first autonomous network that allows you to log in and store / retrieve private data without the involvement of any intermediaries.

###What is new since the last test phase?

As well as squashing bugs, an enormous amount of work has been completed in the last couple of weeks:

• Increased ability for TCP NAT traversal.
  • Increased Vault stability.
  • Reduced network messages (ongoing work).
  • The addition of user facing log messages and statistics.
  • Significant simplification of persona strategy regarding ImmutableData (removal of three personas).
  • The removal of uTP support (to be assessed during a later release).
  • Implement heartbeat messages to detect lost connections more quickly.
  • The addition of version numbers to the protocol to avoid connecting to incompatible peers.
  • The Implementation of a process to automatically build release binaries.
  • The Implementation of a process that automatically creates docker containers.
  • The provision of a docker deployment process and documentation.
  • An increase in the timeout for polling bucket groups.
  • Enhance the network statistics gathering.
  • The addition of the routing table to NodeAdded and NodeLost events.
  • The addition of NetworkStartupFailed and StartListeningFailed events.
  • An improvement in the join limit to prevent damage to the network in case of many simultaneously joining nodes.
  • The ability for the network to drop unneeded connections from the routing table.
  • Several tweaks to churn handling in data_manager.
  • The re-organisation of tests to use mock Crust instead of mock Routing.
  • The reimplement the refresh algorithm for structured and immutable data to make it less wasteful and more reliable.
  • The re-implementation of TCP send / receive using payload size + data.
  • A refinement of deserialisation error reporting.

###Let’s go!

Please be aware this release will not allow older nodes or clients to connect to the network. You must use the new binaries to connect to the network.

This is a test network and comes with the normal risks of using pre-release software. Please also be aware that this is a test network and will be reset, wiping all data that is stored on it.

We currently provide 64bit test binaries for Linux / OS X / Windows and for Vaults also an experimental ARM release (Requires kernel version > 3.9)

SAFE Vault binaries
SAFE Launcher binaries
SAFE Demonstration Application binaries

How to download and install SAFE Launcher
Using SAFE Launcher
How to download and install the SAFE Demo App
Using the SAFE Demo App

###Where should I report issues?

During this testing phase Github is the best place to report issues and bugs. Using Github will help us (MaidSafe) manage issues and prioritise work within the Dev team faster. We are going to use Github for issues during testing as the uptake of JIRA was pretty low, existing logged issues in JIRA will still be worked on and support and issue management will continue to evolve as we move toward launch.

For SAFE Vault issues / bugs
For SAFE Launcher issues / bugs
For SAFE Demonstration Application issues / bugs

If you are not sure if it is a real bug and have question, the forums Support category is a great place to post this. As we know this is a friendly and responsive community and someone will help you out.

Thanks again for taking part and we hope you enjoy this test, it’s great to have you guys on this journey with us.

72 Likes

Yayyyy!!! Thanks so much for your hard work.

7 Likes

How do I click “like?”. The red heart isn’t there anymore? Anyhow, I like the OP.

2 Likes

waaaaah - okay - i think my vault is running :smiley: (behind router of which i don’t have access to the password → no port-forwading whatsoever enabled)

now i have to read what i can do with it xD … i just was excited about the vault, downloaded and started it without reading anything here :blush::innocent:

8 Likes

That’s what mine looks similar to, too.

4 Likes

Yes you have :smiley: :wink: … We are in control of this process and network now, so iterations will just get simpler and hopefully much better. Lots to do but a huge hurdle crossed this week.

18 Likes

If you want more detail there is also a Node.log file created that provides more info. Your now part of a new network, well till next test anyway :smiley:

7 Likes

Goodbye, 7926, nice “knowing” you.

6 Likes

Yes it will connect and disconnect to different nodes as the network alters, so should be quite continuous. That is the nodes trying to balance the network out and maintain the kadmelia invariant as changes happen and are detected.

9 Likes

[safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 1 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:00.681590400 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 2 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:05.973893100 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 3 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:06.398917400 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 4 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:06.969950100 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 5 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:08.093014300 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 6 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:13.321313400 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 7 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:14.245366200 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 8 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:15.659447100 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 9 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:18.006581300 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 10 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:19.046640800 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 11 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:21.385774600 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 12 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:22.873859700 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 13 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:24.833971800 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 14 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:26.160047700 [safe_vault::personas::data_manager data_manager.rs:112] Stats : Client Get requests received 15 ; Data stored - ID 3 - SD 2 - total 41196 bytes
INFO 12:38:48.148305300
3 Likes

Up and running…:grinning:

4 Likes

sooooo coooool! =D [20]

4 Likes

What’s being Get though? My hard drive? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Data bits from all over the network near your address.

6 Likes

Is this really for real, though? I thought I needed to get a static IP and do all this port forwarding stuff. uTP is even better than this?

3 Likes

Yes we got TCP nat_traversal tamed quite well as you can see. So things now get a lot easier. This is all tcp (harder to detect)

8 Likes

Great work! Congratulations to the team. it’s click and go, really easy! :upside_down::nerd::upside_down::thumbsup:

12 Likes

Here is a view of bw used/cpu/threads/memory etc. It’s all pretty decent looking. We have a long long list of ways to become more efficient and you will see big improvements as we move along now. With a network it’s just so so much simpler. With taming Tcp it’s an even better story. Such a relief.

So now we can see what’s possible.

25 Likes

Why o why am I 500 miles from a darn computer every time there is a release grrr.
Any ideas how long this test will run? Hoping I can participate this time!

:grinning: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes