SAFE Network - TEST 2 - Update (7th May 12:15 BST) Now complete

Yes. Network is down.

3 Likes

Damn. I missed it second in a row. Maybe 3rd is a charm.

I could still run it locally, right? (127.0.0.0 )

1 Like

I missed both vault test networks too - 3rd time lucky I hope. upgraded my connection and got a extra machine a few weeks ago in anticipation. Gutted :disappointed:

Sounds like there were huge improvements in the short space between tests. history in the making, exciting times!

2 Likes

@dirvine Are the vaults on the network all the same, or do some of the Maidsafe droplets have special abilities?

What I’m driving at is, would a user’s test network, consisting of the latest safe_vault software and a customized config file to get it talking, be capable of receiving registrations of the launcher and the full range of functions of the apps demo?

2 Likes

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. As a community we put some Satoshi’s together and run 1 Droplet of our own to test and play and have fun. See how far we can get without the support of 200 Maidsafe nodes. I’m quite curious. Although I wouldn’t mind waiting some days to test TEST 3. This community is over excited I think :muscle::upside_down::hugging:.

3 Likes

Yes they are, for a seed node you want to set it’s port in the config, so it starts on same port each time. The default is for nodes to listen on 5483 (live)

So add the ip of a droplet in your config file with port 5483 and give teh config to a few folks and your off. We will enable bootstrap cache again soon to make it simpler.

6 Likes

Why are you not in the pub?
You deserve a break.

12 Likes

I downlaoded the vaults, launcher and demo app but I’m a bit confused as to the sequence to start them up and use them. Is the vault a prereq for the launcher or vice versa? I can’t seem to register an account on the network via the launcher and the vault keeps giving me errors.

Also isn’t the vault supposed to be an executable on linux? It’s not functioning as such on my distro. I’m on Fedora 21 here.

Test net is over for this one - you’ll need to wait for test 3 now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well that was fast. Barely lasted a day. Hope you guys at least got some good readings.

2 Likes

Listening to David the last few days there have been a few contributing factors that have enabled the engineers to iterate so quickly over what we could have expected 1 year ago:

• Significantly simplified and smaller code base

• Rust

• Improved team

• More collaborative and organised way of working - all day H/Os and daily catch ups

7 Likes

Yup, felt the same. I was late with joining the party as well :frowning:

5 Likes

So the network is down now? I was just trying to connect and could not. Only then read the forum…

2 Likes

Yes, give it some time. In the coming days we’ll probably see a new testnet.

4 Likes

Maybe even on Monday

These versions are also useful to avoid accidental interconnections of compatible but separate networks. It is only a bullet point in a long list, so its importance can be missed but it allows:

• The running of an independent local network without risk of interference with the global network
  • And, more importantly, the coexistence of several competing global networks

These versions are not just numbers. By looking into crust code, I can determine that one of these versions is given by NETWORK_VERSION environment variable at build time and could be any string. In my understanding this is the variable that must be defined to launch an independent network.

In theory we don’t need versions to manage several networks if seeds files are handled carefully, but errors happen easily and an interconnection between two independent networks could create damages to both of them. So this version control seems essential to me.

5 Likes

I wanted to say that I very much appreciate the way SAFE network is being built. Mainly from the aspect of goals and deadlines. As I understand the safe network will be ready and delivered to “live” public use exactly when it is ready for that. Meaning that it will not be squeezed in or rushed to reach a launch data or something like that. I think that way too many projects fail because of lack of time and resources.
I watch and admire how safe network is being build!
Keep up the great work guys!

10 Likes

Whether or not people have to wait for the next official test, or are late to the party, all comes down to your config file, which isn’t hard to work out. I suggest that people publish customized config files here (or as part of a fork on Github) in order to create and continue their own SAFE nets. @dirvine said above that even a couple of nodes was enough to initialize a network.

4 Likes

I’ve been away from it all for a while, can’t wait to test tonight :slight_smile:

@goindeep It is over for the time being. Read the Post title

There is talk of a community test network that will be run when the official tests are down

2 Likes