SAFE Network - Test 15

I’m wonder what happens to a vault once it is full and it can only serve data but not store anymore…

It will do as you say and retrieve data as requested and do the other functions of a node.

won’t it screw with xor distance calcs having an inactive node.

Why is it inactive. Its only full. It is still doing the other functions of a node and retrieving data as and when requested.

2 Likes

Would it be possible during the testnets to limit the number of accounts per LAN to say 10 to make this sort of attack, if that’s what it is, harder?

The client account increases and the Vaults are filling with immutable data (remember that each immutable data have is own XOR direction and need to be different) so yes, applying the Duck Test, seems and attack.

3 Likes

Yes, it will.

The first consequence is that the test net 15 has only a few days of life left and won’t become alpha 2. Another one is that Maidsafe must do something to avoid this problem before releasing next test net.

For that I see several possibilities:

• Adding a delay (possibly a few minutes) when an account is created to slow down the attack. This is a workaround effective against a lone attacker using a single station but not against someone using several stations or even a botnet parallelizing account creations.

• Limiting the number of clients per lan (with same limitation as previous proposition).

• Adding test safecoins with basic features: farmed with GETs from vaults, spent to pay for PUTs and transferable between accounts (to allow sending them to people of the community unable to run a vault). IMO testing such a currency in real conditions is needed to validate economic viability of future safecoins.

17 Likes

Who is throwing a spanner in the works?

• A teenager or a person of teenage mentality that thinks it’s funny.
  • Somebody who would rather the project not succeed with vested interest in slowing development.
  • A daft push to force test Safecoin.
  • None of the above, it’s good.

0 voters

3 Likes

Lets see what Team Troon (and worldwide) have to say tomorrow.
Its an absolutely gorgeous day down the Clyde Coast.
Sincerely hope they are all relaxing with a walk along the beach.
It’s coming on for 16degC - Its taps aff time in Troon.

Meantime my launcher just crapped out for no apparent reason… :frowning:

12 Likes

another one could be to limit upload speed from the Vault’s side. So now we can have 200 KB./sec to 400 KB./sec. Maybe limit that speed when the PUTs come in to something like 50 KB…sec max.

The real problem here is that someone needs a 6Mbit upload speed to run a Vault. If it was just 1Mbit we would’ve seen another 50 to 100 Vaults online. I just tried and found out that this setting:

only applies after a restart (as far as I can tell). If you restart a Vault with that setting you’ll pick up some extra Chunks. I’ve got 1.85 GB stored now.

5 Likes

A (re)CAPTCHA on account creation…

2 Likes

Someone who’s shorting MAID perhaps?

Then we need an authentication server in our distributed network…

If this persists I think a very basic SafeCoin implementation will be required to continue public test networks.

14 Likes

makes sense. and people can only get test coins by farming or something?

7 Likes

All this talk of spanner but what is the problem?.. :confused:

There’s always been registering of popular URLs in each testnet - I can’t scan with the API atm but previously it was not a large number worthy of mentioning.

I see nothing unusual from here… managing 197 accounts and data 1484918667 bytes == 1.4GB is not close to capacity. Estimated network size: 172 :thumbsup:

It’s a test network!.. Challenge it in all the ways… break it and let the devs fix the difference :smiling_imp:

15 Likes

You’re actually right. I can retrieve my data and it seems to be working flawlessly so far.

8 Likes

I think that another positive to be taken from this is the danger of having things that are priced as free, when in reality they have a cost. I’ve heard talk of free GETs and free updates of MD. Anything that is free (or even just miss priced as Ethereum network experienced) opens DoS attack vectors, so I think they need to be very carefully considered.

10 Likes

The whole idea is that the network is robust… its utility screams usefulness that far outways the downsides. The risk of DoS will be less that on the current internet. The network is built to adapt.

One step at a time… get familiar with what it can do and alert others to that. The larger the network, the more resistant it’ll be to any attack.

5 Likes

Exactly - I have a little headroom in my AWS budget this month so I stuck on another 5 nodes.
Now noticing data transfer is becoming more significant % of costs though.
These new nodes are only up until month end when I know Im going to have to watch the AWS budget very closely next month

4 Likes

Is this person using a bot to buy up all of the domain names?

If so, another compelling reason to move over to no-dns / petname system.

All the domain names will be reset, so he is onto plums if that is his evil plan,

3 Likes