Safe Network Primer updated (Feb 2023)

Yeah that should be 15% remitted as Royalties.

6 Likes

The online Primer dates to when I was learning React. Besides, how else am I supposed to track you and all your online doings?

1 Like

as long as you don’t add a cookielaw yes.no that blocks half the page :smiley:

2 Likes

Get yersel tae Specsavers

Reluctantly your other comments are reasonable and I thank you for them.

This is the SAFE Network Primer in 3 audio pieces

3 Likes

Can you check the links? Doesn’t work for me.

Hmmmmm seems like you have to create an account first, but I can’t confirm if you can access what I shared then…

But it’s pretty easy to do yourself, just copy the primer into the NR and it splits it in 3. You can listen back everything or save it as an mp3 with the paid version. With NR I can listen back at 3x playback speed and read along that’s why I use it

There is also

With 2x playback speed, which sound to slow and scrambles my…

5 Likes

When I wanted to get acquainted with the latest Primer release at the end of March, it turned out, that quite significant changes had just appeared in SafeNet, namely the use of the libP2P network stack in the Rust language.

Generally, this is a very serious change and probably one of the most important missing links in the SafeNet, and moreover, there are new ideas for DBC modifications, so maybe it is worth updating Primer? I notice in the comments, that many people are not keeping up with the speed of changes and development work of SN.

I do not feel up to it myself, but maybe someone will take an update? :point_left: :blush: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Definitely. The current version belongs in the archives now.

I need to start again from scratch really. It’s just a question of having the time to do it.

9 Likes

Sorry @JPL it was @Southside s idea to switch the feker. I am sure it was and @Josh was pushing him from the side

3 Likes

It was all @Josh’s idea - I was coerced into it by the offer of a stuffed toe, mounted on a nice mahogany board. I was dubious but Mrs Southside insisted as my trophy wall was looking kinda bare.

So I still dont have my stuffed toe to hang on the wall but the nagging continues. I hope DHL deliver soon or I will need to raise an issue with the seller.

Sorry.

4 Likes

I don’t know where things are at with the Bamboo Garden Fund, and I don’t know what you currently spend your time doing either. But if there was a way to encourage you, thank you, and/or compensate you for all your work on the primer(s) over the years, I would find that an excellent use of the Fund.

It’s been the first thing I reach to in most cases when I’m trying to show someone what the Network is about - when the flirting is over and it’s time to get into “the meat” of the subject, the primer is there to do the hard work for you, presented prettily and professionally. It’s really great.

All that to say - I’m very eager for the latest installment, and I hope you find the time soon :smiley:

10 Likes

I hope BGF can also show a public donation address for those who want to donate back.

3 Likes

Might be good to confirm these addresses are still good.

2 Likes

Thanks all :hugs: :. Seriously don’t worry about funding. MaidSafe have been kind enough to cover me for all the updates.

It just takes a bit of time to piece it all together. There’s a rule of thumb with these things that you should have 10x more material than makes it into the final draft, and gathering that together, working out how it fits together, what is still valid and what’s out of date, takes a while and requires a period of concerted uninterrupted attention.

That said, the network is much simpler in many ways now, with no edge cases where consensus might be needed, no stable set, no provisions for CFT etc and much less legacy baggage, so it should be less of a brain bender - just libp2p to get my head around :sweat_smile:. Since things seem to be reasonably stable and the path ahead clear, I’m beginning to gather material in the background now.

In the grand tradition of this project I won’t/can’t give a date for when there might be something to share - let’s just leave it at “soon”.

14 Likes

I am glad, that there will be an update of Primer because I keep finding some new elements, that do not fit me the whole. SN Primer is my favorite item on the forum because it allows you to create a picture of the current operation of the entire project.

Since March, I had in my head to ask about the update, but the constant lack of time …, it is a pity that I did not ask this question earlier, perhaps by now, acting systematically, you would have been able to present the new version :smiling_face:

7 Likes

I know everyone is pressed for time and we have intensive testing to do, but is there any progress in the development of a new version of Primera? :thinking: :wink:

1 Like