Safe Network Primer updated (Feb 2023)

The Safe Network Primer has been updated.

So, what’s changed?

The main update concerns the plans for the distribution of the token and the role of the Foundation. Along with that, it covers some minor legalistic tweaks, including the ditching of the ‘farmer’ label in favour of ‘node operator’ and an emphasis on Safe Network as a protocol rather than a product.

It covers the SectionTree, the record of all historic section keys back to genesis, which replaces the old SectionChain with a Merkle DAG.

It also introduces some of the experimental work that is underway but not finalised, including the Stable Set idea, crash fault tolerance and the use of consensus algorithms to ensure that processes such as handover and membership terminate properly.

Out-of-date references have been removed, new ones added, and there’s a new glossary at the end.

Plus, it mops up some of the undetected typos and factual errors that always seem to sneak through, and no doubt introduces some new ones. If you spot any, shoot them on sight, or alternatively post them below and I’ll deal with them most harshly.

30 Likes

Been a while since I had a proper look at this!
Excellent work @JPL :clap:

9 Likes

Thanks @JPL!!

6 Likes

Fabulous work, @JPL ! Thanks so much.

6 Likes

control + F and search for node
its like a christmas tree! (on edge search highlights with yellow :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

F#^k yeah! Love it when you do this man. Thanks John.

7 Likes

Wow! this is great!

4 Likes

are transactions with snt going to be free? isn’t this prone to spam attacks?

2 Likes

This is huge. Thanks for this.

3 Likes

should the last update not be February 2023?

I want to share it elsewhere, Discord for starters…

now I should read it top to bottom again - as @dask says this is huge :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

6 Likes

Thank you so much @JPL for putting all the effort and dedication. It’s a big job to compile all those new changes. Amazing work once more! :clap: :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Will dive in later and soak this up like a sponge. Amazing work @JPL :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

End of Ch7
Tell me more,…

the link Ethereum Classic “HACKED” by 51% attack! (Medium) https://medium.com/datadriveninvestor/ethereum-classic-hacked-by-51-attack-f62c70cadd5c
points to a deleted article.

I noticed a Github 404 further up but when I went back to check it seemed OK.

2 Likes

Great work @JPL
Certainly a worth while asset to the project. (You and the document)

1 Like

This is a great read, just working my way through it. Idid just notice the same sentence repeating itself which may need editing/removing:

9 Likes

Thanks - sorted. Sometimes it takes a while to update on the site.

7 Likes

In Ch8 there is a missing 0.5%

Also Tell me more… at the end of Ch8
has a broken link
Digital Money and DBCs (Jonathan ‘Smuggler’ Logan, 2018) ← its a very opaque.link/

In Ch9 this diagram should perhaps be reworked to improve contrast of the alleged red lines

At the end of Ch9
https://github.com/maidsafe/sn_entropy_check is a Github 404

In Ch10 the sentence

That data map part of a file which also contains other metadata such as filename and type (video, image, etc). just doesn’t make sense.

Ch10 the link Distributed network with opportunistic data caching (MaidSafe) https://maidsafe.net/features.htm is a 404.

6 Likes

Ironic that the links wouldn’t 404 on SN isn’t it?

5 Likes

That DBC ‘opaque’ link has been reposted on the forum (via the internet archive), most recently by @mav a few weeks ago.

6 Likes

It’s great to see this and its a nice design… reminds me of how impressive the styling was for [Rust Atomics and Locks by Mara Bos]

The javascript tag seems unfortunate and ?unneeded.
<noscript>You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.</noscript>
unless I’m missing something it seems to render ok without javascript but is blocking if it’s not enabled.

The contents being expanded to include the h3 tags might be good to see too.

Glossary needs expanded form of Conflict-free Replicated Data Types (CRDTs)

1 Like