SAFE Network is a terrible product name [Clickbaitish]

Withdrawn withdrawn…

Oh I get it. And I’m asking, who’s the professional and who’s the amateur, who’s the open-minded one and who’s the bag of cement in the realm of this thread?

That’s where your analogy evades me. It’s not quite clear how it applies here, or rather that it applies here.

Well he did provide some names he considered better or more suitable. In my opinion, they all sucked. But it’s not like he only criticized.

He literally turned everyone against himself, dug his own hole with the title, then put his ideas forth in the most hostile environment possible. I’m not sure if he could do any worse (or better). I’d just hope that people around here could do better than turn him into a martyr for proposing a couple of ideas, his initial trollish marketing trickery aside.

1 Like

Highlighting this. . .

I think it should be called a Fruit name. Apple and Orange have done rather well and their names mean little to their products.

Yes, interesting isn’t it!

So you first basically say selling SafeNet is an unique proposition - which I find to be a nice challenge,
to then go on and basically say it’s suspicious. So the logic isn’t sound there. To the contrary my intensions are.

Everybody keeps falling over the naming, I talked more about than just naming. But no one cares to read.
Just throw in their two cents.

Haha a voice of reason. Again those names were not real proposals but in reaction to someones wordplay on the internet. I was just encouraging to further my intentions. I haven’t made a proposal.

Funny though all the angry yelling defending a name, but saying a name really doesn’t matter.
This just doesn’t add up.

I’m trying. Look at all my replies. Others have been really rude, insensitive and downright directly insulting me.

Anyways. Like I just said in another reply is that all the anger and yelling defending
a name whilst simultaneously saying a name doesn’t matter actually proves my point
it does matter and that those yellers do not understand what their yelling about.
They clearly aren’t trying.

Excuse me for all the fuss. I should have know better.
Also I’ve said a few times I do listen and that yes indeed perhaps focus should be on the apps.

Thank you

1 Like

Trolling is just about everything but claiming to help. At least thats my experience.

It does contradict itself, but if I was you (a marketing expert), I would rather focus on the thread as a whole and analyze the outcome.

1. You caught people’s eye (but did so at the cost of rubbing them the wrong way)
  2. Now you have the attention but zero support
  3. You basically turned your idea into your own minefield. (People love fireworks, but they also love to keep their limbs intact.)

As a marketer, you’d better know this poopstorm presents you in a certain light. And if this is the sample of how the better name should work, no wonder you’re not going to make it with anyone anyhow. Nobody here wants a billion people looking at the SAFE Network for one second, then cringe another and storm away for good, feeling trolled.

In other words, people did not buy it. It’s a poop product or a poop marketing or both. And you’re responsible for that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Taken out of context mind you. I got burned and thats oké I’ve learned not to care that much.
People do not listen, they react.

And of course I encourage those who agree? Are you stupid?

Count me in. I will reading one of his works soon.

Personally I do not think I am. But if you want positive responses to your posts then its wise not to belittle your target audience. And is why people question motives.

3 Likes

Okokok, by now, even I start to see what the proud S on your chest stands for. Taking back any hint at my support for this…

…Shtick.

1 Like

159 posts so far, another 30 overnight.

Where’s the value in this topic? Either for the project or those giving their precious time and energy to it.

PS please don’t try to answer here, if it has value for you by all means continue (but I shall stay out of it :wink:)

11 Likes

Perhaps a better name for this thread :confounded:

6 Likes

It’s too late to change the name guys, it really is. Nothing to see here. Move along.

2 Likes

It had some potential but evolved into a collective nervous twitch. Don Quixote lost it and turned into a bully too. To me, that means even he himself now considers it a lost cause.

Too bad it derailed into trolling.
But the initial points were true observations.

A good name helps a lot a nascent brand, but of course it is not the only thing that makes it succeed.
But there are some basic rules such as not using commoditized names.

Anyways, regardless of how bad it is, it is already too late to change it. Changing a name mid campaign is even worse than a bad name.

The whole point about bad names is that it isn’t memorable, so it confuses the audience.
Changing a name it would add more fuel to the fire, therefore, confuse the audience even further.

Silly names or absurd names are great, remember the whole point is to be memorable. Absurdity is one of the key mnemonic techniques.
That is why silly names such as “Interplanetary File System” or “Dogecoin” stuck with people. Those are marketing genius.

If it isn’t memorable, at least it must be unique or sound unique.
Some people mentioned Apple (a commodity) as a counterexample, but you have to remember that it is not about a fruit company selling apples. The “WTF factor” of a computer company being named after a fruit is what made that brand name work wonderfully.
It works because it is contrasting, and therefore it must have felt absurd in it’s beginnings.

If it “Apple” was actually about apple juice company, for example, it would be lost in the noise. It is not memorable, and people would have to be clarifying all the time they are going to buy the juice and not the fruit.

In the case of the SafeNetwork it is bad because it is about an actual network that is safe, so it is a generic description, not a brand name.

My belief is that it will eventually be irrelevant how it is called, because if the network is successful it will become the default system for networking, storing and hosting. It will become ubiquitous to the point that we wouldn’t even need a name to call it, in the same way that nobody these days they say that they are using the “internet”, they simply name the app they use.

But MaidSafe and it’s SafeNetwork are the exception to many rules. They have been violating simple rule of thumbs of startup developments, project management and marketing, but this is the only time I can rationally justify why it is irrelevant in this case.
No modern project will be as impactful in our everyday lives as MaidSafe’s SafeNetwork.

Btw, for every MaidSafe enthusiast out there, refrain calling the SafeNetwork as just “SAFE” or “SafeNet” when evangelizing about it online.
The first is so ambiguous that anyone who gets curious will not be able to Google it, it is a bad keyword.
And the second one is trademarked by Gemalto.
If you want to help out spreading the word we must all use the whole name “SafeNetwork”.

Having the need to specify this disclaimer is why it is a bad name. For the next time remember: unique and memorable (it can be absurd/funny/contrasting)

8 Likes