SAFE Network is a terrible product name [Clickbaitish]

Clearly, as I can’t remember anyone being that concerned about it.

By all means, suggest alternatives, but saying the current name is awful, terrible, etc, dismisses the opinions of those who defined it and like it. As was said above, it is subjective.

6 Likes

I apologise David. The OP title is one thing I may not have put much thought in.

the main issue I have with “SAFE Network” is that it’s too general, and has been used by other things before, and doesn’t really sound like a proper noun but a general adjective so that nobody really knows what you’re talking about (or randomly complimenting, for that matter)

MaidSafe has always sounded like an actual new thing, that people should learn about and use,

and I’ve seen it catch on much more successfully than some safer network somewhere, if this makes sense

2 Likes

I really have to start a project and actually call it RubbishName :smiley: Then if it cured cancer or got us to mars or other widely successful thing it could split into crappyname and sillyname as subsidiaries. It could also have a rotating kaleidoscope logo that never had a defined shape or colour.

Just love to see such a thing and the expert opinion on why it was marketing genius (Bill Hicks again), he’s going for the indignation dollar :smiley: :smiley:

17 Likes

erm , sorry, crappyname™ is registered, it is a bureautic suite by @riddim that includes an instant messaging app called crappychat. You’ll have to find another name.

11 Likes

From a marketing perspective it is yes.

Yes it is. That’s exactly my point.

Freenet still exist? That’s a name that’s objectively clear and subjectively liked.
If not the reader and potential user starts guessing, it becomes subjective and you
lose control over the narrative.

I’ve been pointing out these type of marketing mistakes for years, but they fell in deaf ears.
I understood that this is primarily an engineering team and these type of mistakes are typical in such groups.

The “product” in itself is marvelous, but the marketing aspect was always lacking and amateurish.
Luckily now they hired some professionals.

In any case, a generic term is not good.
If the name can’t immediately ring a bell, it is crap.
If a brand name takes you to the “disambiguation” page of Wikipedia it is a royal fail.

In fact RubbishName would be way better because it will stick in everybody’s minds and because nobody else is using it.
It escapes me why this is so hard to understand.

4 Likes

Too much, too loud, too soon – to no avail.

1 Like

and too vague…

You need to resolve what you are selling to who, before you complain that the marketing is not targeted.

The network is an opportunity - it’s not the end product that you would sell directly; the products that will want marketing will be built on top and the network could even be transparent and obscure. It should not matter what the network is called, if the user is interested in the application… then sell that. Those interested in the network, will be developer level, and they will properly be interested in capability.

MyHealthApp™ can be the user’s access to their medical records… and they care not - even if they wonder how.

1 Like

Thanks mate. It escapes me too. Their logic is so flawed, but then logic isn’t always logical. You can make it up! Just like code. I’ve dabbled in code, but stuck to html, and css.

1 Like

I’d use the Internet more if it had a better name…

8 Likes

Well then it becomes a question of getting SAFE Network out of the way as much as possible.
If your a first time user wanting an app, it’ll setup SAFE Network in the background.

2 Likes

I’d laugh if lame comments weren’t such commonality.

2 Likes

All this reminds me of my pal, he regularly will swallow down a nice long pint of Guinness (porter), wipe his mouth sigh deeply and say “that will never catch on:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great points!

Hoping that the company will let the professionals they hired of the reservation.

2 Likes

Nice! :slight_smile: haha ha ha ha (need 20 char)

Except it wasn’t. And indirectly you shat on SAFE Network. Well done lad.

(you do realize one can edit posts and doesn’t have to create a new post for every additional thought …?)

3 Likes

Yes. But I like the attention.

2 Likes