Safe Network Glossary and Acronyms

How about brokenet?

1 Like

Hmmmm… ‘oldnet/oldweb’ makes me think of the ‘new’ web 2.0.
One could name it web 2.0 and web 3.0.

Because it’s broken or because it’s an economic failure?

This is actually making me think apianet and rosenet are the better terms for Centralized and Distributed networks.

[update]

Hognet would perhaps be a better description because of the double entendre.
My initial umbelflower I had in mind without knowing the English term for it was giant hogweed.
But then I don’t have a flower that represents the opposite of hogging and is a composite flower.

Ah, it already has a name:

5 Likes

So oldnet is officially for the 90’s era… the 90s were such a fun time for the web… fond memories pre google era… Safebrowser brings back a lot of nostalgia…

So what do you call the “post millennial web” of the past 20 years involving the rise of social networks, tech giants, twittering, datamining, and overt tracking/censorship?

4 Likes

Censornet? :slight_smile:
spynet
kelptonet

3 Likes
  • ante safenet ?
  • legacy net ?
2 Likes

Slimenet…?

In a simple phrase, an MVP meaning is a product, which includes minimum features, or one main feature. The prototype can be given to a user as a single product. You can check this for more detailed explanation: Who benefits with an MVP, minimum viable product as launching pad for startups

This is one topic I think can benefit from a bump and going against the forum guidelines of not bumping old topics.

Can people please check the definitions and report or correct any that are wrong, no longer used, and/or any missing ones that should be included.

3 Likes

Can it be pinned in a category such as beginners?

Might it be useful to have an intro topic (wiki) that’s pinned to the front page and links to key resources including posts like this, primer, fundamentals etc?

2 Likes

@neo I think PARSEC can go now. Its only an interesting section of the history now.
Has anyone actually ever used the terms safer and safester?

It may be a worthwhile community project to put links to the relevant sections of the documentation as it develops on safenetwork.tech/faq and friends. I just added Close Group Consensus with a link to a more detailed explanation in the FAQs.

Note that the entry for CLI is IMHO just fine as it stands but the other one shown here, CRDT could also benefit from a link to a more detailed explanation.

EDIT: So I just added the definition from Wikipedia. Others may wish to refine that or link to the original academic paper.

BTW Is Infant deprecated now? Or should we hang onto that as a placeholder perhaps for a low-power node that is nether a vault nor an Elder but may perform a useful role later (caching perhaps)?

1 Like

I/O - input/output is any software or hardware device designed to send and receive data to and from a computer hardware component

1 Like

Ive added I/O – however @Sascha and @anon57419684 amongst others contend that general terms such as this should only be included with a specific SAFE reference.

Its a wiki, anyone can edit it to reflect their own thoughts on its relevance.
FWIW, as this will be a resource used by beginners then I’d tend to leave it in.

Ive removed VfH - Vaults from Home - thats a milestone we are well past now and I doubt the acronym is of much use nowadays.

4 Likes

It’s important for historical context though. The description could be updated to reflect its current status, but I don’t think it should be deleted entirely.

9 Likes

I’d make the name/acronym the link, saves space and seems intuitive to click it if a link for further info.

2 Likes

IDA - information dispersal algorithm, see Update May 26 2022. Used to split data into k-of-n parts which reduces bandwidth when fetching data.

4 Likes

Added DAG to the wiki

1 Like

Further tweaks to the OP - Please extend, review and correct as required

There is no mention of farming as @JimCollinson stated a few weeks back that the term farming had unfortunate tax consequentials.
Which begs the question - What should we now call the process of earning income from hosting chunks?

3 Likes