SAFE Network Fundamentals: Context

One here would be nice as most questions are asked on this forum.

I’m a noob, with first thoughts, so go easy on me…

re #12: “The Network will only accept more Vaults when it needs them.”

So let’s say that Bob wants to sybil attack the network with lots of vaults. Doesn’t this incentivize Bob to spam the network with lots of bogus content in order to require more network resources, which he can then “provide”?

I understand that there is a cost to adding content, so hopefully that slows Bob down enough. I’m just wondering how well the game theory of this attack has been explored.

2 Likes

You pointed a major problem for Bob already and that action helps the SAFE economy in the process.

I think you need look at the scale of the issue Bob will have.

• early in the network’s life with 100 nodes (vaults) then this maybe be a viable attempt. The is likely 50TB total vault space (6TB of unique chunks). Thus adding a TB will mean on average that a few new vaults (maybe 15) will be needed. And thus Bob + everyone else will get a chance to add nodes.
  • still early with 10,000 nodes giving 5,000TB (600TB unique). Bob now needs to add many TB to maybe cause a few new vaults to be accepted
  • After that small to medium network with say 100,000 nodes giving 50,000TB of space (6,000TB unique chunks) means that Bob has to add a lot more than any link can do in a reasonable time.

And then the other issue is that others are adding data, and trying to add nodes. So for every node Bob adds there maybe 100 other nodes added, or even 1000+ nodes.

4 Likes

Thanks for walking through it with me @neo. I guess difficulty for an attacker will depend also on the real-world value of safecoin and of course attacker’s budget. Hopefully safe network can grow under the radar with “true believers” for long enough to become unassailable.

It’s also not clear to me how much or what types of damage a successful sybil attacker could do, given that everything is encrypted, but I guess they could at least disrupt routing and maybe spoof/lie about where/if data is stored. I have a lot more reading to do, and I look forward to trying out the software as soon as I have enough karma.

Anyway, I hope I don’t come across too negatively. I only think about such things because I want the project to succeed and thrive despite adversaries. I very much like these fundamentals of privacy and self-ownership of data, and I look forward to a day when most people take them for granted because the safe network is already ubiquitous.

3 Likes

You can test the real vault 1 and the Perpetual SAFE browser without level 1 in the forum. It is really unbelievable how easy is to register a site name and to upload a site:

had the same question, people have told me search for the sybil attack threads and read them all there is everything you ask answered in one way or another

2 Likes