SAFE Network Explained: Architecture

I mainly wanted to point out the usefulness of automatic checkers. I stick to American spelling, because I learned English in the US, but I guess documents for Safenet should be spelled according to British standard. Of course one has to choose the desired dictionary in Word manually. The problem with Word is so many functions are active by default. The problem is with the settings - not the checkers themselves, if used correctly.

(I also localized Clippy, the famous Office Assistant that everybody hated, but that doesn’t mean I like the implementation of it.) :wink:

“Enpoints” would also have been picked up automatically.

I’m no authority on English, but I still think those abbreviations should have periods (full stops). When it comes to spelling, the important thing is to be consistent, I think.

Oxford Languages | The Home of Language Data.
I.E. | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

1 Like

Good and logical choice to use what is already out there and proven thoroughly.
I don’t know the finer technical details of sha3_256 (Keccak), but I see that Belgians are involved in its creation, so it can’t be that bad :wink:
Probably better then making your own hash function, like IOTA: Cryptographic vulnerabilities in IOTA | by Neha Narula | Medium

1 Like

Exactly. This means that several mutable data having the same name but different tags can be uploaded in the network. They all will be stored in the same group of 8 vaults (the closest ones to the common name).

To avoid collisions with existing MDs having the same tag an application should use a random nonce concatenated to the source identifier and then hash the result to compute the name. This also renders the name unpredictable, which prevents an attacker or a competing app from squatting a name that the app will need in the future.

I share your concern about this. If all clients use a hash function to generate MD names then they will be uniformly spread in the xor namespace, which is good. But the problem is that apps are not forced to do that. I see a potential attack based on the creation a set of MDs having a specific name to overload a group of nodes in the network, for example to get control of a section by eliminating these nodes.

5 Likes

Won’t this only mean that in the worst case someone might be able to fill the hard disk space shared by some node(s) by creating lots of MDs with almost the same names, maybe just increase it by 1 bit every time, but then some other random(?) nodes should come and take their place?

Americanisation and Britishification of text is a challenge, even for those of us with a couple of decades in both countries.

Using tap instead of faucet, or boot instead of trunk just takes some getting used to.

The real tricky situations come into play when someone uses a word common to both, that means different things. The spell checker won’t fail it and eyebrows will raise - especially if you use fanny when you mean butt (or buttocks or bottom). It’s not the same part of the anatomy in Britain.

Just remember to splash in plenty of extraneous “u’s” and remove all “z’s” and your American English becomes British English, largely :wink:

Automatic checkers of spelling and even “grammar”, i.e. syntax, cannot and are not supposed to replace human knowledge and education. Just like a chainsaw is not supposed to replace the human holding it. But if used correctly, which takes some practice and studying in itself, the automatic checkers as well as the chainsaw can help humans in their work. Automatic translators will not replace humans in the foreseeable future either, but that doesn’t make them useless in all situations.

I have now actually read the article and would like to thank @mav again. A very useful article and a good read!

I wasn’t proofreading, but I happened to spot the following mistakes:
it’s → its
“This causes it to leave it’s existing group and become part of a new group.”
“The relocated vault must now store chunks that are closest to it’s new identifier”

2 Likes

Can we link or pin this somewhere where people can see it? Really awesome job on this one!

4 Likes

Excellent resource, thank you very much. A more techy friend of mine is visiting and has some questions about:

“The network is comprised of a graph of independently operated nodes (called vaults) that validate, store and deliver data. Vault operators can contribute to the retention of network data and network performance by supplying disc space and bandwidth for use by the network. Vault operators may join or leave the network at any time without affecting the security of data stored on the network…
The network utilises SHA3-256 identifiers for vaults and data in combination with XOR distances between these identifiers to anonymise and globally distribute all data and traffic.”

Specifically he’s asking how vaults can go online and offline while the network stays fast, whether the geographical distance of the data from the person fetching it effects the speed, things like that. I think an understanding of how XOR works should clear it up for him or am I missing something? Any links or relatively simple explanations appreciated. I already sent him the link to this architecture overview which I hope helps.

1 Like

(The XOR concept: you could just think of it like vaults responsible for a specific piece of data will be anywhere geographically. In XOR space they are close. So, statistically, the most likely thing is that they are spread out among the most heavily populated regions that are also well connected to internet and so on.)

It’s true that at “some point” it wouldn’t stay fast. The extreme example is that all nodes go offline, and then online again. The other end of the extreme is that no nodes go offline or new come online.

At some ratio of leaving/joining to existing number of vaults, we begin to see latencies that are higher than “normally accepted”. It would of course be a very gradual onset, so the range of ratios qualifying for this is broad, both because the distribution of occurrences would be large, and because perception of “slow” is a bit subjective. There’s probably some current business standard on what’s an acceptable latency for a regular app, and if we choose that as a simplified target, then the range of ratios is a bit more confined.

OK, so those were a lot of words, but still simple concept I hope.

There’s a constant flow of “data at rest”. So, this does not mean communication, but the stored data.
This is because there’s a constant relocation of vaults between sections, and this means that they drop their previously held data (for another vault to pick up), and themselves pick up data from the new section. The older the vault gets, the more seldom there’s relocation.
But just as there’s a (rough) doubling of programmers every 5 years, and so half of all programmers will “always” have less than 5 years experience (according to Uncle Bob), the same principle applies for a SAFENetwork all while it is growing heavily. So at any given point there’s going to be a lot of data on the move. You could say that half of the network vaults will always be very young, and relocate often. (Very simplified of course, but just painting the picture with rough strokes here).

This is an animation of how devices are connected and disconnected to internet over the course of a day. The data is old now (2012 IIRC), but you see the principle. This is how the data would move as vaults join and leave. You can see the high concentration of data as red, and low concentration as blue. These are the geographical regions the data will be concentrated at, and this is how the data will move over the earth, given that devices are actually ever disconnected (or turning off the vault software). (I think that increasingly, devices will never be disconnected or shut down. But you could perhaps map this movement instead to join/leave activity, which just as other human activity would be more likely to happen when they are awake, and so it would follow this pattern as well. Very far down the road it’s maybe more scheduled/automated and connected to price movements / markets, and I guess at that point these trends blur out, and we increasingly get a stable coloring over the day. Also, in this image, you’d have to take into account that over the coming 30 years, population in Africa might double, and connectivity to internet improve dramatically, things like that. Principle the same though.)

OK. So this depicts some of the effects of vaults joining and leaving and so on.

But, what happens with that data that you wanted to request?
Well, thing is, there’s going to be a number of vaults that step in right after one is leaving. Not sure if they already have that data. But at least there will be 7 vaults able to respond to your GET request, immediately after the 8th has been relocated. The work they are currently doing, is to synch up the data that the 8th one held, to the replacement vault, or voting on the membership for it, or verifying it’s resources - that kind of stuff. And so, this is where lag could come in, if this work related to the replacement vault slows down the serving of data on the GET request.
Not sure if Rust supports it, but if that work was happening on a thread with less priority than the serving of GETs, it would not interfere (significantly) with it, and thus all GET requests would be almost unaffected by the constant relocation, vaults joining and leaving and so on.

Even more words… But I hope it does gives insight into the matter in a comprehensible way.

So, as to answer the question: (Can vaults join and leave and still have a fast network?)
It depends how many join and leave in relation to existing vaults, as well as … I would say … how the work priority is managed at code level for the things that might affect GET latency. And basically, the better the performance the higher the join/leave ratio can be, but there will always be some upper limit.

10 Likes

This is wonderful @oetyng thank you, he’ll be gently encouraged to get an account and get involved now with this great of a response :slight_smile: I’ll be able myself to explain it roughly to people now maybe too.

6 Likes