SAFE Network Dev Update - September 5, 2019

Well since we have test Safecoin I’m sure we’ll be seeing that rather than actual Safecoin which would require all the puzzle pieces in place, basically Maxwell or beyond. Nice to see these kinds of things being rolled out for the community to vet and leave feedback before we even get to actual Safecoin. A lot of things happening in parallel and this will help us launch with all thrusters.

7 Likes

Great thanks :+1:

Which week was this released? On my last desktop test with Alpha 2 I didn’t see any coins mentioned on the browser etc. Also nothing like that on the Mobile browser either. I only used invites. Was a few weeks ago though.

No worries, I meant test safecoins, by saying it in quotes. How are they being used now? Just in a specific coin app? Or truly for PUTs? Thx again.

3 Likes

Firing on all cylinders again. You guys will get a speeding ticket soon. Looks like all the September deliverables are well in hand. Just Node Ageing to go after that before Flemming.

6 Likes
4 Likes

safecoin instead of invites. The invite server has done it’s job and is only needed for alpha II but not for any further tests.

For all places safecoin will be used in release, so Puts are enabled with test safecoin for payment. PhaseI does this, when you put your account is checked and you had to pay for the transaction.

15 Likes

Test safecoin is not a part of the alpha-2 network. It is a part of Phase 1. The local / shared vault has the ability to handle safecoin transfer requests which you can send from the Safe CLI.
You can find more info in this post: New Release: Vault Phase 1 (real vault)

18 Likes

You can use safecoin to create multiple coin balances which can be managed via wallets, all from the safe CLI. The concept of “PUTs” is deprecated and replaced with safecoin payments. So you upload a website to the network and pay for it using safecoin :slight_smile:

15 Likes

It is great to see this change coming to fruiting so quickly. Combined with the invites using SAFECoin for new users, it feels like many problems are being elegantly solved here.

These invites should give good organic growth and help people to feel introduced to the SAFENetwork community. As it will also prevent new account spamming, it is a double win IMO.

9 Likes

We are talking here about how we on-board new users to the complete Network without them owning any Safecoin upfront, and without running a vault.

The strategy we are testing here is an existing account holder gifting a small amount of Safecoin to a new user—just enough to allow them to create an account packet, plus a perhaps smidge extra to allow them to do a few other things like create a SafeID, send a thank you message etc. This has to be packaged up in a way that it is easy to transmit across existing clearnet channels and in person, and also simple to understand and redeem.

That’s been the basis of the testing so far. How do people totally new to the Network understand the options they have to get up and running? And how do we design a process that they are comfortable with, and can enable them to get to grips with the new paradigm of paying their way upfront, rather than by having their privacy abused or being advertised to.

21 Likes

This shouldn’t have actually been published yet but thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

:see_no_evil: let me get that sorted

7 Likes

Ah a human English explanation. I love it

Edit: the last 4 lines will determine the success for the network IMO

5 Likes

Question: Is the planned hackathon still on or delayed to post Flemming?

3 Likes

In short, we do rounds of testing at the end of each design sprint (or when we have a testable design hypotheses agreed, and packaged and prototyped in a way that we can gather meaningful results from a test).

These hypotheses are tested in person ,or via a Google HO with cameras on as a last resort, with no more than 5 participants per round. There are rapidly diminishing returns in doing more than 5, if the test is properly constructed, and testing is pretty time consuming, so we don’t want to over-egg it.

Testing is always done by members of the team designing and building the product, as it’s really really useful to actually watch people using your software. A joy when it a just clicks for the user, but also great to see your assumptions shot down, and a path appear. Humbling and invigorating!

Recruitment can be burdensome for sure, but we don’t outsource, and we always test on people brand new to the project.

Typically this involves approaching strangers, going through a screening question or two (scripted and determined by what we are aiming to test), testing with them whilst recording so it can be shared with the team, and then offering to buy a coffee as a thank you. Funnily enough, no one has ever taken up the offer of a coffee… most people really love helping out, and just want to know more after the test!

The demographic is actually pretty broad, as we are making core network features that should be usable by large swathes of the population. Typical screening questions are things like “have you heard of Bitcoin?” or “what web browser do you use?”, which allows us to exclude people who aren’t regular internet users, or are so far off the map that they are unlikely to provide helpful results.

Screening, combined with the locations we use to recruit from, such as coffeeshops near university campuses, or financial districts, has given us a pretty good source of participants.

I’ll perhaps go into more detail on what the tests showed, and how they influenced the designs in some of the screencasts after we get v1 of the Safe Network App rolling.

27 Likes

Unsure right now, I am personally much more in favour of keeping the pace and launch though.

35 Likes

I tend to agree. Full steam ahead. No distractions

12 Likes

Keep up the good work chaps and chappettes. Can’t wait for some time of work to have a play with all the new releases.

3 Likes

On the wider use of getting people to initially use the Network, it may be wortwhile talking to behavioural psychologists to identify and hone in and how to maximise chances of attracting a section of the right demographic.
Love them or hate them Cambridge Analytics did a brilliant job on Brexit and the Trinidad elections. The latter is a corker to watch on the You Tube videos.
There must be some appropriate people to chat to at Ayr University

5 Likes

Loving this! I think it’s a great idea!

10 Likes

I’m not sure where else to put this, so I’ll just post here. In the article on

I see the following terms that I think are used incorrectly or have not been defined:

UnpublishedAppendableData
PublishedAppend

Maybe “AppendOnlyData” should be changed to “AppendableData” everywhere?

6 Likes