SAFE Network Dev Update - September 19, 2019

Right, simulating ranges of expected network latencies in a chaos testing of sorts will be really good practice (at various local network sizes too). Should reveal any incorrect assumptions made that worked fine in fast communication vs sluggish communication. Looking forward to it all!

2 Likes

Hey @ogrebgr, I have been working on the new bindings for new APIs, once I have working APIs for C# then we can try to generate the bindings for Java as well though it’ll involve some extra efforts and we currently don’t have any plan or time estimate for the same.

11 Likes

Closer and closer, the tortoise is becoming a hare! Great work team

9 Likes

As usual I’m very happy with the update.
Many thanks for all the work that has been done to date.
Every week it’s a pleasure to see how much has been done.

7 Likes

Amazing update Maidsafe devs,

This week I’ve seen €400, €40 and €10 become Maidsafecoins that will only wake up on the SAFE Network. :partying_face:

I’m probably joking again
safe://fedfork.repotoken

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Great job as always team MaidSafe! I have a small request if it won’t make it difficult for you can you include a breakdown of what the abbreviations in the update mean? :slight_smile:

I add the translation into Bulgarian in the first post :slight_smile:
https://safenetwork.bg/safe-network-новини-19-9-2019/

7 Likes

I was watching the video again yesterday about creating a site. Would it be possible to make a video about how to get the SAFE authenticator, CLI, up and running? After 3 hours I’am nowhere near to get it working. My knowlege about working with the command line is limited even if I know some commands and stuff. Yesterday I felt like a deer standing on the road looking into the headlights of a truck, I would really appreciate some guidance and it would maybe also help other future developers. @joshuef

2 Likes

What OS are you using @tobbetj? There was a video but I found it hard to follow I must admit, so maybe we in the community can help you get going instead.

I found it hard first time, but now I know what’s needed I can help you step by step. I’m using Ubuntu Linux.

1 Like

Thanks, happybeing. Windows 10 64-bit.
Downloaded rustup and c++, can’t figure out the right command for opening the authenticator and similar. When copying the location to cmd I can type in password and secret but then the cmd closes with no response.

If I can get some type of easy step by step that might help alot. If it is needed I can probably get a machine with Ubuntu up and running, just don’t have one running right know.

1 Like

There was a problem with safe_auth CLI on Windows Powershell, are you using cmd console? if not, please try using just the cmd and not other type of console, and see if you can login with safe_auth CLI

Also, you don’t need to install Rust if you are downloading the binaries released, Rust should be needed only if you are building things from source code.

2 Likes

Thanks, bochaco. I was using cmd, do I need to run as administrator?

Can you type some full commands I can try or should it work if I just copy the location address to the cmd and click enter?

Is the order to open things, Safe_auth, Safe CLI, Vault, can you use credentials from alpha 2 or do you create a new account?

It is a little messy for me and I may mix things up between alpha 2 and vaults from home, I don’t know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can I close the vault when not using it or do I need to keep it up and running, I don’t usually have my PC running 24/7 all week?

Hi @tobbetj, you need to run a local vault first (or paste the shared vault’s config file in the C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MaidSafe\safe_vault\config\ if you want to connect to the shared vault).
Then you need to go to open safe auth and create a new account. Then you need to run the safe auth daemon and the run the cli and use the safe auth command to authorise the safe - cli in the safe auth cli.

I know this may seem a little confusing at first for some, so I suggest you checkout the user guide in read me in the respective Github repos for safe-vault, safe-auth, safe-cli.

3 Likes

That makes sense, it feels like I’am getting one step closer! I have read the instructions on Github a few times but it don’t seem to give me enough details on all the steps. Thanks for the help and I will reply later, if I get it working or not.

Does it matter if I keep the vault running or can I close it when needed?

1 Like

while using the cli / auth -cli, the vault has to been running. But at other times, the vault can be turned off.

1 Like

I found this post helpful New Release: Vault Phase 1 (real vault) - #59 by Tom_Carlson

4 Likes

If you are ok with using your internet connection you can avoid running the local vault at all - just copy the latest config as explained here.

1 Like

I’d suggest you get everything running with a local vault first @tobbetj, so this is the steps to get you going (you need 3 console windows):
1- run the safe_vault in console #1
2- run safe_auth on console #2, with $ safe_auth --daemon 41805 --test-coins
3- it will ask you for a secret and password to create an account and keeping you logged in, and running the dameon. Leave it running there
4- open console #3 and run the SAFE CLI, start with $ safe auth , this will send a request to the authenticator to authorise it…
3- go to console #2 and allow the request by typing “y” and hit Enter
4- go back to console #3 and it should say the CLI was authorised, from there on you can start using any command to upload data, create websites, use wallets, etc.

5 Likes

Excellent bochaco, now i only need a few beers and some candy and it will be an epic weekend. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

So disappointing I thought you had some already…anyway sounds good to me ! :smiley:

5 Likes

Haha, I’am on my way to the store as we speak, will also get some tacos. I wish you and @vigneshwara @JPL @happybeing a good weekend and also something nice to eat, drink and chill with. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes