SAFE Network Dev Update - November 7, 2019

DKG: Distributed Key Generation

14 Likes

TY (20 characters) :+1:

5 Likes

That is the process that all members of a group (section elders) use to create their own pub/priv keys that are part of a larger (aggregate) key. So each person can sign data, then we can add several of those signatures and it is as though the larger key (shared key/section key) was used to sign. This is what allows multisig.

Hope that makes sense.

13 Likes

Quickly, before he changes his mind! :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Another 100% agreement poll there :wink:

15 Likes

Thanks for the honest and thorough update. It sounds like the focus is where it should be and the pieces are clicking together.

Also, thanks to those who have brought us this far and contributed in many great ways. It is a shame that there isnā€™t room for everyone, but take heart in being a part of history unfolding.

For those remaining, you are doing world changing work and we appreciate every drop of your energy. Donā€™t be deflected by trolls on here, as they donā€™t deserve your attention. We are all rooting for you!

14 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of maybes. Onwards and upwards

Only if you promise not to start another one
Edit: what about deleting the other accounts?

2 Likes

Best wishes to all those who are moving on to other work here shortly.

Our hopes ride on those devs who still yet remain, its a lot of weight to deliver the remainder of the load, I hope yall know how to carry the team hard :grin: . Certainly a continuation of a lack of sleep, doubts and fears but hopefully ultimately that great feeling when a eureka moment hits and that spark of ignite comes that gives you an almighty clarity for how to deliver on the remaining necessary components.

6 Likes

We give everyone 24 hours to change their mind in these situations. Simply because its simple to start a new account so whatā€™s the point unless the user really wants it.

5 Likes

Agreed.
Remember these guys are not building a utopiaā€¦they are building a distributed, encrypted, scalable, enduring, economically viable and independent network ā€¦ehā€¦lets have a look at that utopia thing again :thinking:

9 Likes

I am really interesting why this man didnt leave this forum.

He always do trolling the posts.

1 Like

We feed his desire to be recognised. I am guilty of that for sure. I am fairly certain itā€™s a cry for help in some weird way, a reasoning to sound plausible while knowing nothing and feeling less.

4 Likes

Sucks that these exchanges are over shadowing the updates. I honestly think @anon94252342 is tracking the project very closely because he wants it to succeed but at the cost of coming off insensitive and rude sometimes. In the pre dev update he can be very positive. I have to admit I wonder about some of the employees too because they made such an impression on me but I also find it rude to single out or bring those things into the spotlight at others expense. I think thatā€™s why @dirvine gets so upset. You are a respectful and protective man to your crew out of respect but sometimes the reaction is more like adding fuel to the flames. We all have passion in our hearts and sometimes certain behavior just really pushes our buttons.

Not taking sides here but I do think that on depending on where you are from, way you were raised, emotional intelligence level etc, you may not know to not ask because you donā€™t realize it can come across so crass to others.

I just like the welcoming tone of this forum and these exchanges are starting to amplify.

Beyond all of that, I have never been more bullish on the success of the network. We are closer than ever and the current team has all of what it takes to get us to the finish line and beyond so the team can someday grow again and possibly bring back some old friends! Either way they have left a positive mark on this community and this project and I will never forget that.

21 Likes

Just to give some perspective on core blockchain team sizes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum-has-more-than-twice-as-many-core-devs-per-month-as-bitcoin-report/amp

Bitcoin (BTC), the largest of all cryptocurrencies by market capitalization, has a healthy developer base as well, averaging over 50 developers per month. The report specifies that this data does not include ecosystem projects

ā€¦

For instance, Dogecoin (DOGE) hasnā€™t had developers for months while the Litecoin (LTC) developer base has fallen from 40 developers per month to just three over the last year.

Maidsafe still look in pretty good shape to me!

13 Likes

That is a really interesting stat and bodes well for SafeNet

4 Likes

Wonder how he treats his friends. You wouldnā€™t want to be his partner, would you. His critical nature would be stifling

1 Like

But still he seems to know more than what we are told on the forum, yet somehow he missed the fact these people are leaving because of the changing financial situation??? No I doubt he missed that and wanted to stir the pot more because 2 names he knew were not staying. That is more than concern its malice.

We try to allow everyone their say (his posts are here after all of what he says) and at least he wasnā€™t like that other person with their libel.

It must be the most difficult decision to make, deciding who is to remain and who has to be let go. They were all good people and the decision was not just based of abilities but abilities in areas as well. Itā€™d be like splitting a close knit group, very difficult and emotionally draining.

8 Likes

It must have been a difficult time for all involved, the decision maker(s) and the wonderful people who are moving on to other places. I am sorry to see all these good people leave because of the financial situation and I wish to thank every single one for the contributions to this project. You will be missed but always loved by this community.

I would welcome anyone who is leaving to stay with the community as everyone here will welcome your positive input and love to hear how you are going.

11 Likes

I totally agree with you @Nigel.

I think it can be detrimental to chase ghosts where there are none.

And I do not have the impression that @anon94252342 is a subversive person whoā€™s faking his intentions in order to bring harm to this project and community. I just donā€™t feel it.

I think his language is crude, his manners not so well developed, but I simply donā€™t see him as the intentionally malicious actor some here describe him as. And I think it is harmful to all of us to describe him as such, and behave as if he was.

I donā€™t blame anyone for just being fed up with it, with all negativity that do show up from time to time. Reactions to that can be a bit too much, but they are understandable, because thereā€™s a lot of it (and will be a lot moreā€¦ a LOT). Still, I think I should speak my mind here because we really have nothing to gain by beating this guy up. I say this as a person who is not afraid to be confrontative when I sense malice. I thought people were way too soft on the NGO people, and as Iā€™ve said before I was quite satisfied by seeing @BIGbtc calling those fraudsters out immediately. (Edit: I read up on that thread when I joined, so I wasnā€™t here at the time it all went down, but I smelled the rotten fish very early in that topic.)

Donā€™t get me wrong, an actual malicious person should be ousted immediately IMO. Just put the hammer down hard on those, thereā€™s no reason to be soft there.

But, again, this guy is just not very well versed. IMO.

So, I would say just let this go, and I know there are ways to reach out to this guy. Heā€™s worried and not the most smooth guy, and probably donā€™t know how to manage positivism / negativity and how he impacts his surroundings. I think thatā€™s the deal.

18 Likes