Safe Network Dev Update - November 26, 2020

If I was to hazard a guess, a pseudo Fleming test net to perhaps iterate but inform necessary tweaks.
Proving the core network. That would be my hope.
Edit: but I shouldn’t be so presumptuous.

Still much to do after that but seeing the safe API’s come to fruition, docs, and UI/UX will be the gift of a lifetime.

Great work @maidsafe team! Now I feel like Christmas can’t come soon enough. :santa: :gift:
Can’t wish away all those development hours though of course.

Keep up this amazing progress!

17 Likes

Thx Maidsafe devs for all your incredible hard work.

Reading through these updates even though I understand 0.0001%, it makes it worth it every time.
As always @JimCollinson :heart_eyes: the onboarding, looks so easy peasy everybody can do it :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2: can’t wait to see this translated by the community.

This week I got 3 people to invest in MAID and keep it for long :partying_face: luckily because my Thursday cheerleader roll is…

Keep hacking super ants onto Fleming

20 Likes

Well done :+1: if this testnet / fleming proves that the core principles do work before Crimbo, this really will be a special present :+1:

13 Likes

Xmas present = 600 :see_no_evil:

I love you 600

600 shades of grey…

9 Likes

It varies and is unfinished. In DKG round then it’s time based, but normally it’s event based. In data chains (back in 2015) that was based on the last n events where n was majority, I feel we will end up there again.

8 Likes

Good point, that may be easier to use correctly and harder to use wrong. Let’s see what the guys say.

13 Likes

A testnet with most of Fleming in it, we may fall short of all client date types being crdt and a fork resistant section membership, but we will see how far we get. Basically a working network with a much as possible.

46 Likes

Nice one @anon57419684. Less bincode would be great.

13 Likes

Do I even need to comment? Wow!

11 Likes

Beautiful! Just think how good Christmas will feel with this one out of the door before it. I hope everyone involved is feeling the buzz of the anticipation. I know I am!

:star_struck:

9 Likes

Aye, I did set up something like this in sn_data_types tests, but seemed a bit onerous an API for exporting.

Having it on keypair is nice. Won’t necessarily avoid bincode for now. (though maybe there’s another way to be doing this for singing?)

It will basically set up a bunch of op parsing though (moreso as we add more, eg map crdt ops etc), and for those few places, seemed a bit of a faff to me for now. (Totally not against getting it in there though as we add more. There’s def some DRYing out to be done).

6 Likes

Having trouble with the wording “Create a Safe” as my brain mixes the network with an account or vault, similar to “make a google” instead of “make a search”. For me it is a little hard when mixing the brand name with functions in the network. Other than that it looks great.

3 Likes

Think of it as the “Safe” Network is a network of “Safe’s”. I really think it makes the name that much more meaningful personally.

7 Likes

On launch… we need someone to post on reddit…

“I found an unopened safe…”

6 Likes

There’s something of a significant branding opportunity here. When I want to digitally (and sometimes even physically) search for something, I’ll say “I need to Google it” or “just googled that”. Google has become synonymous with search just as Kleenex is synonymous with facial tissues. Safe could become synonymous with interacting with the new web.

In other words, this:

9 Likes

I think someone saying “let’s open a Net Safe” could have a good ring to it, if people don’t want to say Safe all the time too presumptuously. A Networked Safe on the Safe Network.

1 Like

Does that mean a gatekeeping network again?
No one is able to create their own network or even participate as a node?

NO.
it means we get a network to play with once the internal testnets have performed satisfactorily for a week or 2

7 Likes

And why are we not allowed to play with an internal testnet?
Why the wait?

Because there are likely issues with it, that will need fixing. Once the obvious issues are dealt with, public will be asked to join. This is perfectly normal development practice.

6 Likes