SAFE Network Dev Update - May 28, 2020

It was actually quite important in some ways. Some folk, even Devs had doubts of a fully decentralised network for all data. Parsec at least proved, given knowledge of all data types (no opaque votes) then it is actually possible. So remove the impossible, so now we just implement it as an even more fully (read actual :wink: ) decentralised network with the correct form of data types.
That proof to folk was good in many ways as it showed, even if we needed some very smart complex algorithms we can come up with them. It also showed Engineers there is another way to think, albeit initially hard to grasp there is another way.
So the optimist in me thinks ti was of some value, but did become increasingly a debate point for sure with the exactness requirements of many parts of the system. It brought a significant fragility to the message handling etc, I think we could have got around that, but this is now quicker and as I said in line with original network design.

25 Likes

Something is often learned from climbing certain mountains (parsec) even if only to survey the surrounding terrain. Often takes longer to survey if you do not climb certain mountains.

I am certain @dirvine that many things were learned and that makes it easier to implement more efficient mechanisms and have confidence they are going to work the way you want

15 Likes

That is a personal matter and we will not discuss somebodies health publicly. In fact I will strongly defend a persons right to privacy. There was a guy here for a while that made such points!

I advise you focus on delivery of the network and not on individuals lives. I sends a very bad picture and not one MaidSafe will agree to.

21 Likes

If you are new to the forum, why do you care if one person isn’t here any more. There have been many others who have left after making great contributions. People come and people go. The world keeps turning

9 Likes

This is our old friend Starsmick… Here for his weekly dose of drama :rabbit: :carrot: :rabbit:

10 Likes

unnamed

11 Likes

Are data chains still needed or are they gonna be removed as well?

Other question: What’s the latest news on DBC’s (offline transactions). Doest that fit with AT2?

3 Likes

Data chains were not taken any further then the code/papers etc. and not implemented by the team. However section chains are and these give us the ability now to handle the data chain even more efficiently. It’s the same principle, i.e. a mechanism that allows data to republish. So the data itself is signed by the network (as data chains) but instead of the network keeping the chain of data each data element has the section signature.

This is more efficient and is in line with a notion @AndreasF had when he did look at data chains way back in 2015. I was not as sure at that time, but as we have progressed the answer is obvious, especially with node age in place.

Not forgotten right now. We have a sort of offline transaction already happening with our crdt/at2 types, where the client can have the ability to pay for data storage and send that whenever he wants. So part DBC but not anonymous (yet). This is an area that is quite interesting for us to dive into as we impl that code, which is well underway.

15 Likes

Thanks for your answers! I like the way you are going now. Sounds good.
I think safenetwork.tech and primer will need some updates soon :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Apologies if I’m stating the obvious here…

I wonder if this might also be a nice approach for network restart capability. In an analogous manner sections could periodically give nodes their signature of approval based on different health metrics (ie. “this is a valued member of the section”) . If for some reason the network needs to restart (much more applicable to a small local network filesystem) then the nodes would be able to reform the network to the same state it was in. I know the devil is in the details though…

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion why a certain member had their post hidden in the dev update

In the next update can we get a small bullet pointed list of what is left in the vault from home feature? There is a lot of green ticks for Fleming on the roadmap at Safe Network . It would be nice to breakdown that key feature into trackable parts which should make the weekly dev updates easier to track for everyone.

3 Likes

It is being tested as we speak and has been for a few weeks. So it’s debug/test etc. now and we cannot roadmap that. We need to remember the data handling changes with parsec removal and crdt/at2 in place now. So a lot of fast moving parts which has everyone at a focus and pace right now that would be hard to disrupt.

Updates are the best as we don’t know all the steps going forward, only looking back and each update does that well I recon.

16 Likes

Just watch for the updates to know what to look for in github. Here you can see the work for routing that will replace PARSEC with BLS-DKG. fleming · GitHub

Watch for vaults in github too. These links are even provided in the updates.

8 Likes

Currently it looks like there are 13 things listed as “to do” for Fleming, but it also seems like not all of those “to do” tasks may still be relevant (e.g. “Confirm when stuff has PARSEC agreed it’s also section signed #2047”). Is it possible to get a sense of which of those “to do” tasks might no longer be necessary for Fleming?

13 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! You make a difference in our clouds!

I add the translation into Bulgarian in the first post :dragon:

14 Likes

@Dimitar I can’t help but think you were the inspiration for Maidsafe using beautiful scenic graphics in their updates. :smile: you rock man. Just think you should know that.

14 Likes

Let’s be honest, friend. Things happen in reverse. Their dedicated and hard work inspires me :bowing_man:

10 Likes

I think @dimitar’s being modest because I’m sure he suggested it.

8 Likes

It’s not modesty, friend… It’s just that my bad English didn’t understand what Nigel was saying :see_no_evil:

@Nigel you are right about the covers of the weekly updates. I made them :dragon:

9 Likes