SAFE Network Dev Update - May 14, 2020

This has become my personal motto lately. :smile:

5 Likes

I’d prefer the more normal use of drives and folders. New terminology is just a hurdle, when there’s such little difference.

2 Likes

Can I check that metadata will be held distinct from the file itself?.. I wonder one of the great features of SAFE is that a file, has a location - that is one xor. The meta data, such as date stamps and filename, are distinct from the content and then should perhaps be separate… aside from perhaps that storage in that way will be reduced too for being the same identical file. The alt is a date stamp affects the sense of its being the same file - if someone saves a file from the net, it might have a local date stamp but is not a different file.

1 Like

Can I check that metadata will be held distinct from the file itself?

It is. The file will be the immutable data. The metadata is inside the FilesContainer which will be this RDF data construct that links to our immutable data.

(I say “will be” as it’s pseudo rdf at the mo)

10 Likes

I’m a fan of the idea rather than the reality of rdf… always seemed a bit bulky… but the data is valuable… having datapoints that are the same concept would be fine.

6 Likes

I totally agree. In OP FileContainer is used 5 times and FilesContainer twice. I am not a native English speaker but for example “file list” sounds better to me than “files list”.

My opinion is that people at Maidsafe try very hard to use the official term (FilesContainer) but they don’t succeed at that because they can’t help using the more intuitive term (FileContainer), even in an official Dev Update.

Maybe, we shouldn’t fight natural spelling and we should rename the term instead.

4 Likes

Honestly, I wouldn’t consider that there’s an “official” version. One was used in the rfc as it seemed correct to me when I wrote it.

It’s not really been considered or scrutinised in any detail until now AFAIK.

The above agrees with you and I have nothing against that idea. Though both seem like they can be correct to me, tbh.

If folk are feeling it’s wrong/consfusing and want to update the rfc then PRs are very welcome :+1::pray:

9 Likes

Hmm, consfusing or confusing? :wink:

5 Likes

Haha. The former of course !

8 Likes

I thinks I am beginsning to understands.

14 Likes

If you understand English then you don’t understand English. :smiley: I for one certainly don’t :wink:

10 Likes

I’m an English major and I don’t either.

7 Likes

It is probably a variant of the Cushion language.

2 Likes

cough, its tough , but if you are thorough and think it through, the rough edges of the variations of the prounciations of the -ough- sound will make you beat your boughm with boughs of holly, take a bath in youghurt and through youghrself oundr a boughs.

And we expect folk to learn this language?

5 Likes

I we are just living in a game simulation it must be a cruel joke by the master, having the internet invented by an Englishman.

3 Likes

Yes indeed, they have a lot to answer for.

2 Likes

It won’t solve these problems, but: Linux 5.8 To See Faster FUSE Write Performance

2 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! You are not PERFECT, but you are FIT! :dragon:

I add the translation into Bulgarian in the first post :dragon:

10 Likes