SAFE Network Dev Update - March 5, 2020

Is the network launch tool still in the pipeline?
Or is this what is being used… I am probably muddled up.

12 Likes

It’s currently used by CLI, the net launcher tool exposes a simple API (apart from its own CLI), so we can depend on it from SAFE CLI as another Rust crate and invoke the command to launch the network. The output you see when launching Baby Fleming comes from the launch tool.

24 Likes

One step at a time. Congrats on this huge milestone, team Maidsafe. We know it wasn’t easy and there’s more to do and appreciate all your effort

20 Likes

So safe-nlt
does the same thing as safe vault run-baby-fleming - just in a different default location?

Or are there more subtle differences?

7 Likes

safe-nlt also assumes a default path to find the safe_vault binary to be ~/.safe/vault/. It also allows to change that with args or with SAFE_VAULT_PATH env var, if you run safe-nlt with --help you’ll see all the options. I saw you were already using the -p / --vault-path arg yesterday :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thanks team for pushing this out.
One step closer.

17 Likes

Congrats @maidsafe! This is the most adorable little multiple vaults (single-section) network i have ever seen :smile:

23 Likes

Great work Maidsafe, looking forward to trying this out.

21 Likes

Fantastic work! Great to witness the birth of the baby!

Is there a limit on how many nodes are in the baby network or will it just get slower as it gets sub-optimally large?

Thanks for all your hard work team and you must feel like proud parents. Enjoy the moment - they will be crawling and walking in no time! :grin:

21 Likes

Well done @maidsafe

22 Likes

with this release can we say for cetrain Maidsafe will make it , they will release beta and beyond? Im not a tech guy and dunno how significant this release is.

6 Likes

This release is huge, a real milestone for the community. It marks the point where (after some bugfixing) the SAFE Network is ready to go from a network ran by a single entity, where everyone connects to just one server, to a network which is distributed, fault tolerant and able to be composed of other smaller networks.

This is, as they as, a tour de force for the Maidsafe team.

39 Likes

Yay its finally Fleming day!!! Well err sorta. At least we got a release, but I would not say MVP yet.

I was hoping we would have some serious marketing effort underway at this point to spread the word and get listed on more exchanges. Then again this is not really quite yet a “useful product.” So maybe we got some time before we want to really showcase it to people. This is definitely motivation to hustle up and get that stuff moving anyways!

11 Likes

So this release is not for end users? Only for technical people?

4 Likes

Yay! This is an amazing milestone. There should be some kind of celebration.

13 Likes

I have Terminal running after downloading the CLI for mac OS, funny thing is that when I try and install vaults the command is not recognized, in fact no commands are recognized. What am I doing wrong? Probably something simple, that my simple mind is unable to see. Thanks

4 Likes

Are you in the path where you have the safe CLI binary? I’m not a Mac user, but perhaps you just need to make sure it can find the path to the safe CLI executable?

8 Likes

Congratulation to a wonderful achievement and to the start of baby steps that soon will learn to fly and become epic beyond everything.
Maidposs2

Can we make a list of what baby Fleming features, think it can be good to many people who follows the project but don’t have huge tech knowlege to understand the dev updates and also for marketing of the achievement.

I know alot of what baby Fleming contains but even I might be a little unsure of all the features:

Baby Fleming, local multiple vaults with the following features:

Self-Authentication

The ability to log into a decentralised network without the permission or existence of a third party

Self-Encryption

Data is encrypted on your computer before being stored on the Network: no keys or passwords ever leave your machine

Disjoint Sections

Otherwise known as Sharding, this allows the Network to scale by splitting responsibilities for specific Network functions.

Message Relay

Ensures a message can be sent between nodes in different Disjoint Sections

PARSEC

Asynchronous consensus algorithm

Node Ageing?

A decentralised system for ranking the behaviour, performance and abilities of nodes on the Network that requires no human intervention.

Development

Secure Message Delivery

Trusted communication between nodes - messages with authenticated source

Reliable Message Delivery

Communication guaranteeing the successful delivery of messages.

QUIC-P2P

The low-level language which users connecting to SAFE will use for all network communications

Malice Detection

Preventing malicious nodes subverting the consensus algorithm, PARSEC

Test Safecoin & Wallet

Allow the Network to charge, and a user to send and receive payments to a wallet, in units called Test Safecoins

Multiple (local) Vaults From Home

The ability for anyone to download software and run Vaults from home, creating decentralised storage for the Network

Published and Unpublished Data Types

Allow the network to store Published and Unpublished data via AppendOnlyData or MutableData types

Unpublished ImmutableData Data Type

Enhance ImmutableData to make it an unpublished or published, with the difference that unpublished can be deleted

34 Likes

there ya go. A baby Flemming

19 Likes

I’ll check it, thanks

2 Likes