SAFE Network Dev Update - June 25, 2020

Unfortunately I need to agree. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Thx for the update Maidsafe devs,

Really wonder how you guys stay sane coding this up? Always good to see the merged PR, can’t wait to try out the CLI soon.

Sorry @JimCollinson can’t really give feedback (my computer is to slow to show Figma):computer::face_with_head_bandage:

Go outside sometimes super ants and enjoy nature, it’ll clear your mind from this alien task

Thx again and keep hacking

10 Likes

Yep, my understanding is that you (see the CLI docs example), create a Sequence by storing arbitrary data to it, and can then update that with new arbitrary data (which is appended to the sequence).

Each version in the Sequence is then accessible, and this will be the basis of the perpetual web and all published data.

17 Likes

Great job guys! Sounds like solid progress on many fronts and a real team effort!

10 Likes

Thanks. It makes sense. The word Sequence in that form doesn’t stick in my head for some reason. I prefer ‘Sequenced’ which implies the imposition of order rather than its simple existence. Verb/adjective versus noun, active versus passive. But I may not have the whole picture here.

13 Likes

The whole discussion is in this thread: [RFC] Data Types Refinement

10 Likes

Have you checked @JimCollinson’s avatar :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah but don’t you love downing a few pints in the pub and having the same argument night after night? (I grew up in the country). What are your thoughts on Version vs Versioned by the way @oetyng?

Fair enough. I still prefer the old way but am happy to adapt if things have moved on.

9 Likes

Totally :smiley: , just linking it for reference of those who were not aware.

11 Likes

I am loving the UI represented in the figma files! Perfect, simple, and understandable interface for anyone to intuitively learn quickly. This is so important for the mass adoption of the network. Again, congratulations. It’s really coning together now!

15 Likes

100% UX is absolutely the most critical component to making this network a resounding success.

19 Likes

I second that. I don’t think I’ve seen this much of a push for ease of use and design in most any “crypto” project. It’s truly impressive and I hope it feels as good as it looks when these tendrils twine to the core of the network. I like that @maidsafe stands out from the pack, a truly authentic bunch. Great work @JimCollinson

Great seeing @dugcampbell @nbaksalyar and other former Maidsafe crew still checking in or contributing. I’m sure many would agree it’s great seeing you stick around for the cause that we all believe in.

Sequenced data is finally here! Great to see.
It would be neat to hear more about Mutable data becoming a Map data type? What is the specific purpose since there is NRS Map? What makes Mutable data a candidate for reworking to this Map type? Just curious since not much info was given.

Thanks Maidsafe team for your dedication :pray:

25 Likes

Good job again!

This wallet image caught my eye though:

I find it very difficult to estimate how meaningful the cost of the upload is in comparison to my funds. I think that balance and cost should be expressed as much similar to each other as possible.

Not:

$ 1.5567 -0.018

But:

1.5567 - 0.0180

(Sigh… I wrote those values with dollar signs in front of the numbers, but it gets lost when posting. The dollar sign was also randomly omitted from other place of my reply. What is this?)

And I would also like the app to calculate the balance after operation for me, or maybe even show how many uploads like this I could do with my funds. But I don’t know if there is room for all this.

It might also help to show the balance and cost under each other:

I can’t format it here to look neat, but you get the idea.

Values and decimals are such a painful thing in cryptoverse…

6 Likes

It’s a limitation of the forum software. I have the same frustration while trying to display the backtick character.

These are not dollar qtys but SafeCoin qtys however

5 Likes

Oh yeah, was just using any symbol for mock-up purposes.

About presenting values: Let’s say a user has 5634.080663 Safecoins and he is going to upload with the worth of 20.180072 Safecoins, would it be good idea to present it like this:

Or even in this case rounded as:

Maybe not the two zeros, but double space is obviusly not possible to show here. I guess we can’t avoid crazy decimals, but somehow it should be made as clear as possible.

(Even now when trading MAID / BTC it is always a hassle to check how many zeros there are between decimal point and number, if you set the price by typing.)

4 Likes

There is a paragraph sign - can’t recall if that was considered previously but would be simple to adopt in interim for something not ambiguous.

§

§1 = $1000

8 Likes

If you write any text inside backtick characters (except backticks obvs) it will show up as typed: $

5 Likes

Which is an utter pain when trying to express something like

cp target/release/safe which safe
ALL in monospaced “terminal” font

its even worse when you screenshot a spellig mistake and preserve it perpetually :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fix that one quickly before anyone notices :joy:

3 Likes

You mean like:

cp target/release/safe `which safe`

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thank you, thank you.

4 Likes