SAFE Network Dev Update - July 26, 2018

Do you have any other records @anon94252342?

5 Likes

@dugcampbell, @SarahPentland, any info on live stream links for the dentralized web summit yet?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think that Maidsafe is referring to this definition, because it is too low level (physical layer).

I realize now that they are probably referring to the blocks of bitcoin like protocols, because they are the basic elements that store the ledger of network events. This is an agreed term, commonly used in the field. With this in mind I agree this a meaningful term.

But then why ā€œdata chainā€?

Safe network is not ā€œblock chainā€ based, so another name must be found for the ledger. But why dump ā€œblockā€ and keep ā€œchainā€? I would have done the contrary (keep ā€œblockā€ and dump ā€œchainā€) because:

• block is a fundamental element of the PARSEC specification

• the ledger is not a chain because it is forked at each section split.

For example, ā€œblock treeā€ would be a much better name because it keeps the name of the basic element (block) and emphasizes that its structure is not linear. In fact, the structure is not even hierarchical but even more complex with section joins. Then maybe ā€œblock graphā€?

in summary, ā€œblockā€ + anything but ā€œchainā€ would be better.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a nice one too. ā€œBlockTreeā€ or ā€œBlock Treeā€ rhymes with octree, which basic XOR space can be represented/visualized as quite nicely. :+1:

I do very much like the term datachain thoughā€¦ the term datatree just doesnā€™t have the same ring(s) to it :wink:

1 Like

Can you let me know what page has the incorrect link? Thanks!

No specific page. It was just this post below that I thought needed an explicit link to the site you meant.

Not yet, will post it as soon as we know

1 Like

Nice posting It is very beneficial for me

The link for the livestream is: Decentralized Web Summit 2018 ā€” Day 1 ā€” Log Lounge - YouTube David, Viv, Nick and Gabriel are on at 2pm PDT

10 Likes