SAFE Network Dev Update - July 19, 2018

I see things all ‘coming together’ hopefully around the same time in the not too too distant future. :crossed_fingers:

Great job with the new site @maidsafe

16 Likes

Love the new site. Pleases the eye while getting the important points across. Great job.

12 Likes

How much of SAFE’s back end is SAFE network specific and how much is generalized PARSEC? It seems that there is a lot of focus right now on PARSEC and releasing it to the world in conjunction with the progress of SAFE reaching it’s milestones. That’s great and all and I’m just as eager to see SAFE completed, but I’m just wondering how much is PARSEC and how much is SAFE? Like can someone take the SAFE backend (PARSEC) and use it in their own project and how much of SAFE’s inner workings are PARSEC or otherwise are cross compatible with other projects?

On another topic I like the new website with it’s bright colors and such but it could use a site map or a clearer nav bar. Links to various pages seem to be scattered about and designed to guide the reader but if one is specifically looking for something it’s not as easy to find a topic in particular. Also while the SAFE accademy was put on hold there’s no reason not to link to established resources in the meantime.

8 Likes

Can’t wait to see this!

8 Likes

Ordering consensus is required to validate currently valid voters (nodes in a section/shard). From there we have group consensus/data chains/node age / secure message relay and that is just routing. Under that, we have crust (secure messaging, fully encrypted network membership and discovery). On top of that, we have personas and safecoin on one side (vaults) and on the other client API’s (apps etc.) where we are focusing on RFD/LDP via SOLID for a semantic new Internet.

There is a lot, we open source it all and know this needs to be done. In short, it’s just what has to happen, we took the reigns, but care not who does it. So far it looks like us who must, but who knows in the long run (hint, I think I do :wink: )

22 Likes

Wooooowwwwt, that website is stunning!

15 Likes

The new website looks excellent. One suggestion I have is that under Safecoin or whereever safe coin name is mentioned - lets clarify that SAFECOIN isnt available yet. You can’t buy them. Else there may be a few who go to website, like the concept and see safecoin name (without even clicking it), go and buy safecoin (the wrong one!!). There is a safecoin out there that does not belong to safe network so we should guide potential buyers until the whole copyright issue is resolved with the current safecoin TM holder.

6 Likes

As David touched on above, and we cover some in the recent SAFE Crossroads episode, PARSEC is just the algorithm and code that handles consensus on ordering of transactions/events. General formation and function of the network, security, connection, etc., is handled elsewhere than PARSEC.

Other decentralized systems could use PARSEC within whatever system they have or evolve. Also as David said, since SAFE is open source, other projects can take other parts and do with it what they find useful, but PARSEC is a specific function. It’s the difference between a consensus algorithm (or recipe?) and a consensus mechanism (close group, disjoint section).

6 Likes

The new website is a feast—really beautiful job!

Congrats and thanks to those who contributed.

8 Likes

Hey guys, I love how well it is developing, but my concern is the same as @Anonymous2020
Is it wise to keep doubling down on promoting safecoins as safecoins? Considering the amount of squatters, scammers and opportunists who are already launching projects under the name of Safecoins, wouldn’t it be better to think a new name for the upcoming hard release and promotion efforts?

5 Likes

Unfortunately, the website doesn’t look good on my laptop (1920x1080 at 150%). The structure is a bit of a mess. The overlapping ‘squares’ with images and text, don’t fit well together in this resolution. With the giant menu hovering at the top , and quite large fonts, and squares all over, it is difficult to get an overview or see the structure, which makes it hard to see at a glance what is important. It looks better in higher resolution or less scaling. Tested in Firefox, Opera, Edge, Chrome.

3 Likes

The new website is great. The Timeline spells out the remaining steps (good to see that).

2 Likes

The website is sequentially perfect, incredibly sophisticated in its simplicity, I love it! Through it the SAFE net, is so easy for anyone to understand and be inspired! Amazing work!

8 Likes

Re: website, well done all around. My favorite is the timeline. I like how it provides a history of the safenetwork endeavor. There are many details there that I wasn’t aware of

6 Likes

Looking at timeline - it is very impressive but realistically seems like 2018 will go in PARSEC implementation testing with Alpha 3 and Alpha 4 probably in 2019 and if all goes well beta in late 2019/early 2020 with platform live around 2020. Just my gut feeling. What does everyone think?

Also, when looking at Dfinity which raised VC money, just curious if Maidsafe should go another fund raising - perhaps an ICO round? I mean a lot of promising projects are getting funding in 100’s of millions of dollars. That will give maidsafe enough capital to hire more programmers, speed development, allow more recognition and in turn exponential growth in participation from open source community once the initial blocks are made ready faster. It will all be positive. Am I missing something?

4 Likes

I agree with the timeline to beta. Not sure about whether more programmers is the answer.

I just get the feeling that Maidsafe is one of a handfull of projects purposefully working to and end result. Well done to the dev team wherever you are

1 Like

Thanks Maidsafe devs for a nice update.

Wow that’s much to take in safenetwork.tech to give any useful feedback, love the simplistic design makes it bigger better stronger.
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m so glad to be a part of this awesome community and I appreciate everyone’s hard work, we’re getting there one step at a time. Keep pounding the rock. I can’t wait to listen to the podcast @fergish this week. Just my 2 cents here on the website, but it looks a little busy to me, a lot of distractions from the text.

1 Like

is the milestone 2 implementation and coding ongoing or still in spec phase? i see some work done in github but nothing added in jira

If you are only looking at routing, then yes that is right :+1:

1 Like