Safe Network Dev Update - January 7, 2021

It’s amazing how much was accomplished over the holidays! The MaidSafe team’s level of passion to deliver the Safe Network is truly inspiring. :smile:

Posted the update to @safenetworktech. Please remember to like/retweet!

Looking forward to an awesome and pivotal year.

:sotros25:

23 Likes

gogogo team! its’g getting close!! thanks for hard working! Can’t wait to run testnet with my ubuntu-minicomputer!

15 Likes

Very nice!

I tried to go through the linked slides about BRB, but they are too technical for me. So would someone like to tell a bit more about that in broad srokes? What problems this solves? How is the network better with BRB in place? More secure, lighter to run, less order needed… etc?

15 Likes

It is but not immediate, just in this case, but it’s likely we will revisit this.

It’s a mechanism to allow updates to data in the presence of byzantine nodes/elders. The client or initiator collects 2/3 signatures and then does and apply with that. Kinda like AT2 for data.

brb-membership is a mechanism to agree Elder groups in a byzantine network. It works well but again we have a potentially more natural mechanism, but later.

All in all these are lighter, faster secure algorithms for us, compared with parsec etc. these are very lightweight. brb-membership still has a history of nodes, but bls makes that efficient as well, that part is a wee bit tricky/complex but basically, we want history, BLS makes the history efficient (single key + sig as opposed to ELDER COUNT keys and sigs).

I am not great at these explanations, but I hope this helps you get an idea.

23 Likes

Thanks for the shout out but im sure everyone at MaidSafe deserves the respect on this one for sure. I love the name association though heh.

10 Likes

Amazing update! I wasn’t actually expecting one this week, figured you guys would (SHOULD!!) have another week off.

yes … about that … given just HOW MUCH was accomplished here … maybe maidsafe team should consider having every other week off - maybe increase productivity and de-stress! – lol … I’m laughing, but I’m 3/4 serious. :wink:

Thanks again for all the hard effort Maidsafe team. Cheers

9 Likes

Public test network here we comeeeeee. It’s just a few steps away from the real thing :grin:

18 Likes

I see this as a two way street…

Your give your energy to make your job work
Your job gives you energy to make you work

I think MAID has gone on the second mode, now!

9 Likes

I’m very excited for this year and what MaidSafe has in the pipeline.

I tried bringing up a testnet around xmas, and also brought up the safe net browser (GitHub - maidsafe/sn_browser: Safe Network Browser Application) but I had trouble pairing them. I didn’t have a lot of time to spend so I gave up.

But should bringing up a local testnet and a local sn_browser, work?

11 Likes

Browser needs a tweak; so, not just yet.

6 Likes

Thx 4 the great update Maidsafe devs

Can’t wait :partying_face:

Really love the incredible progress and thx again for all your hard work superants

15 Likes

The Safe Network is needed so bad! Regardless of where you stand on any particular subject, the censorship is through the roof and it’s only getting worse! Love that the team isn’t rushing out this testnet and having the patience to fix all the bugs. Measure twice cut once!

16 Likes

Thanks for great work team.

There are AT2, Dynamic membership and more in the brb crate. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! Never be scared to do it!

I add the translation into Bulgarian in the first post :dragon:

6 Likes