SAFE Network Dev Update - January 23, 2020

If you are aiming at creating a webapp you can simply use it with latest released version of the SAFE Browser, we don’t have documentation for API yet though, but you can see some examples API calls in this electron example app: https://github.com/bochaco/electron-neon-safe/blob/master/renderer.js#L13

Just note you should find the Safe object at window.Safe() for a webapp, so change that first line to let safe = new window.Safe(); and the rest of the JS API calls should work the same in your webapp as in that example.

14 Likes

Thank you for the update.

I’d like to propose a “Quit” menu item for the Network App. As it is now, I think I have to use the kill command to quit it.

11 Likes

It’s a bit hard to find but there is one :slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

Wow! That is hard to find. Needs moving. Thanks.

10 Likes

Thanks Gabriel, that’s great!

If I can escape the clutches of CSS before the documentation comes out, I’ll definitely have a go at some of that!

9 Likes

Great update!
In relation to the data management is was wondering if it might be interesting to start implementing something like “groups”.

In our day to day life we have a lot of data as well that we share withouth explicit consent such as our name, work, hobbies, health issues etc. If we go to our doctor both parties understand the context of this visit and the doctor won’t share this data with parties that go beyond the shared understanding of this context, say an advertiser. But I do need to trust my doctor in sharing my medical information in case of an emergency.

Having fine grained control over your data is great but my observation so far is that the large majority of people simply doesn’t want to be bothered by such settings. Therefore it would be great if we could create a shared understanding of applications and in which context they belong and therefore if they could get acces to certain data.

If you want to keep sharing to a minimal you turn this off, and if you want maximum ease of use you use the common understanding of the network.

See this as a slider that moves from completely closed down to more flexible contexts. (you could always alter the permissions for one specific app of course)

12 Likes

Wow what a feast of an update - thanks as always team!

I especially appreciated the walk-though on your thinking around UX.

21 Likes

Nice to hear some great Maidsafe news following the Poloniex delisting. Sounds like the team is right on track and chugging along full steam ahead! :+1:

16 Likes

Thanks so much for all of your hard work! 2020 is going to be a great year!

18 Likes

Great to see that Vaults2 is narrowing down. Keep it up guys

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing updates!

11 Likes

@JimCollinson I don’t know how you do it but dammit you get it done and the end result is always amazing. That was a tall order you just ninja’d. :love_you_gesture: And the mock ups look fantastic! Also props to @m3data :slightly_smiling_face:

20 Likes

Late to the party, and much has already been said. Much praise deserved. Awesome = attention to UX, data hierarchy. Getting rid of Guarded and putting that responsibility on the app dev is a deep insight… love it when thinking through all the possible endgames makes things simpler. Did I just hear ‘digital bearer bonds on a private, encrypted, uncensorable global network’? :open_mouth:

18 Likes

Great update, and seeing the UX side of things progress as well as the core network tech is brilliant.

I’d be up for another Glasgow meetup if others are.

I don’t think we should wait until any significant announcement due to uncertainties in timing - probably best to just book one and go for it, perhaps in February? Let’s discuss it in the Glasgow meetup thread.

8 Likes

I’d defo be up for that! Maybe, if we don’t have anything specific to discuss, we could skip the meetup branding, and just call it ‘beers’?

7 Likes

Thanks for the kind comments folks. It’s most definitely just the first steps we are on here on the UX of data controls, plenty more complexity to layer up, but it feels like the right place to be, and hopefully it will bear some really useful fruit.

On a day off today, but looking forward to getting stuck in to the nitty gritty next week.

21 Likes

Totally killer update. Please, please, please give us DBCs.

11 Likes

Cool to see the UI design work going in to the file permissions, thanks for taking the time to share those insights. Good to know it’s being very carefully thought out

10 Likes

Just incase you are considering this a vote.
Yes yes yes

11 Likes

DBCs sound like a Good Thing and I want them very soon.
BUT… IMHO DBCs should NOT be part of the MVE.

The devs are doing a fantastic job, lets not stretch them any thinner. DBCs should, if feasible, be part of a future upgrade. I don’t think they are part of the ‘M’ for Minimum in the MVE

8 Likes