SAFE Network Dev Update - January 10, 2019

Thanks for the informative post Neo

4 Likes

Time is relative, and yet none existent. Time is the inner form of animal sense that animates events—the still frames—of the spatial world. The mind animates the world like the motor and gears of a projector. Each weaves a series of still pictures—a series of spatial states—into an order, into the “current” of life. Thus time is measured through the eyes of the creature observing it. For some 12 years is a life time, for others it’s a short step toward the next spatial state of perfection. We are so close now!

4 Likes

I think hope in general is a bad habit. Do what you can do now and support the efforts of others you like who are working to take us the next rung up the ladder … and stop worrying about everything … it’ll only make you age faster! :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this comment @janriemer. I think a lot of us here at maidsafe share David’s mindset when it comes to coding (and design in general).

It certainly is different from the prevailing mindset among many startups today (e.g. “Move fast and break things”). Thanks for the post :smile:

12 Likes

Hi @nicklambert , is Maidsafe a member or aiming to become a member at the Privacy industry group articl8.com ? I can see that Maidsafe is following them on twitter… so maybe something is going on?

6 Likes

Possibly, we’re certainly taking a look at it.

6 Likes

Shouldnt Java API for Mobile Development be marked as done in the timeline tab on the website?

1 Like

Any chance of seeing it on F-Droid as well? I prefer as little google contact as possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Any app that advertised itself as a SAFE network interface, will doubtless be banned by both Google and Apple the first time somebody uses SAFE to say anything that can be considered offensive to the people who inhabit silicon valley. So in that respect SAFE is stopped before it ever starts.

However, a ton of apps could use SAFE “under the hood”, and as these apps are banned by governments, corporations, and political activist groups, other apps will be unaffected.

The issue of free speech on phones will never be solved when Apple and Google are actively engaged in using their power to control the information people have. Certainly any SAFE Browser will instantly fall victim of this. But I am still hopeful that SAFE based apps can continue to briefly shine before being whacked down, in an endless game of whack-a-mole.

4 Likes

I think this is a fantastic opportunity for a new CEP.

3 Likes

Thanks, @anon94252342. We have updated the safenetwork.tech website and the change should be live now.

5 Likes

It already does work that way. :slight_smile:

Authenticator is just an app that you use to create an account on the SAFE Network and register other apps. There’s nothing to ban it for, you can’t use it to post files and other things on the network.

And apps do use SAFE under the hood. They work independently from each other, and each app maintains its own connection to the SAFE Network. As for the SAFE Browser: well, you already can browse illegal content and post bad things on the clearnet using well-known browsers such as Firefox, but no one thinks about banning them. So I don’t think it would be a problem really.

6 Likes

Not to mention onion browser apps that exist and are semi popular.

4 Likes

@maidsafe Yall may want to revise this page:
https://safenetwork.tech/safecoin/

The exchanges listed, cryptopia was hacked and I believe going under, hitbtc too stopped processing large number of withdraws. So polo/open ledger may be the only 2 legitimate ones.

Edit - Yeah cryptopia is RIP just go to the homepage.

4 Likes

I don’t see anything on their homepage yet other than:

"Important Announcement
14th January 2019, the Cryptopia Exchange suffered a security breach which resulted in significant losses. Once identified, the exchange was put into maintenance while we assessed damages.

Cryptopia has notified and is cooperating with the appropriate government agencies, including the NZ Police and High Tech Crimes Unit. Please see their media release below."

Where does it say they have ceased trading?

I had also heard that HitBTC had stopped some withdrawals during the proof of keys campaign, but wasn’t aware this is still the case with MAID?

Thanks in advance for the info.

1 Like