SAFE Network Dev Update - February 7, 2019

I wonder. How will malice be tested during fleming? Will vaults come with a malice suite that we can trigger manually? Will the clients be designed to trigger malice attempts automatically and provide MS with result telemetry? @dirvine?

1 Like

I’m in favour of a summary of the roadmap in each weekly or even fortnightly update. There is a real disconnect between the work being done and how it connects to the milestones on the current roadmap.

2 Likes

I doubt it as we would know what malice that was and already have coded for it. We will hope that folk try and find ways we don’t know about yet. Ofc doing malice we know of gets your vault kicked off and we don’t want to have folk suffering there.

1 Like

Will finding malice you don’t know attract any sort of bounty? I assume you’ll have some confidence in what you release and therefore finding something you haven’t already thought of, in theory should be considerable effort and will be rewarded?

3 Likes

Thing is tho you do use a lot of acryonyms in your updates and have for awhile now. Even just looking through the last couple of them and you’ll find a dozen of them. Also this is the first I’ve heard of qwant. So nice link but don’t assume others know what you know, in this case about a particular search engine. Many a time I’ve made the same mistake and assumed another even knew how to do basic things like perform a search etc and thus ended up having to teach them as well as explain my point.

SAFE can be extremely useful to a lot of people but there are a lot of tech literacy gaps to jump and defining acryonymes is just one of them. Then there is code literacy (which is why I stress the tutorials and SAFE Academy idea) and then there is trying to explain SAFE to someone who doesn’t have a whole lot of computer literacy in the first place (something I’ve been attempting which is a really hard conversation to have). Try explaining SAFE to someone who isn’t computer or internet savvy and hasn’t really even heard of what a blockchain is let alone the concept of a decentralized internet or why it’s important or it’s potential to change society.

And this brings us back to carefully defining our terms and language. :slight_smile: Because when you’re trying to break complex ideas down defining terms is very important, not just for technical reasons but also social ones as well.

I do hope you can understand where I’m coming from here.

5 Likes

SAFE isn’t just a decentralized internet. It, like the internet before it, represents hope, change and new possibilities. Right now a lot of people are scared, frustrated, or have just given up hope that anything will ever change. So even without tech savvy explaining SAFE to them is important, showing that things CAN change, and that there are different ways of thinking about problems, and that there are practical solutions to implimenting those ideas, that in itself is important because it gives them hope for the future and a chance to start changing how they interact with each other, construct ideas and create culture at large. Instead of getting depressed or angry people can innovate and collaborate even if they don’t have the tech skills themselves.

9 Likes

I am. I was hoping for 2015, but was mentally steeling myself for 2016…

1 Like

I arrived at this thread searching for more info about the relationship between SAFENet and Solid. I am amazed at the collaborative, non-territorial tone on both sides but I am having some difficulty sorting out in what way they are complementary and how they overlap. An update in layman’s language would be helpful (without undefined acronyms, if possible :wink:)

On the acronym tangent and the separation of Dev and User forums - authors must put themselves in the shoes of the audience. If you are direct messaging a colleague whom you know is as conversant with the acronyms as you are, then it is effective to use the shorthand terms. But, if your audience is not likely to know the terms, then it is incumbent on the author to provide a clear definition and an unambiguous reference.

This goes directly to the question of whether or not to have separate forums for developers and the general public. In a Dev forum, there is an expectation that the audience is already familiar with a certain level of jargon so the writer doesn’t have to explain basic terms in every post. Nonetheless, I think most articles benefit from the author giving clear definitions and unambiguous references for all terminology. This has the added benefit of encouraging neophytes such as myself to explore further instead of being discouraged by abstruse language.

MTCW (My Two Cents Worth) :grinning:

p.s. Thanks for the Qwant shout-out. Have now made it my default search engine.

8 Likes

Hopefully this post will give you a high level perspective in layman’s terms Keeping 2018 SAFE and SOLID. You may have noticed a recurring theme… | by MaidSafe | safenetwork | Medium

10 Likes